Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM

682 posts, read 1,574,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Wyden follows in the tradition of Wayne Morse, Richard Newberger and Mark Hatfield. All Senators who cared more for the people than party and we knew that when they were elected.
Another reminder of why it was such a huge disappointment when Oregon, swept up in a wave of pro-Obama, anti-anything with an "R" mania, booted Gordon Smith in favor of Jeff Merkley in 2008. So far Merkley feels a little like David Wu, but without the craziness (I know I'm going to get hammered for this comment, but I call it like I see it).

Smith constantly worked with Wyden and others on bipartisan solutions, and was against the war in Iraq (shades of Mark Hatfield) while doing what he could to remain true to his principles. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
I didn't live in Oregon at the time so can't comment.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
Another reminder of why it was such a huge disappointment when Oregon, swept up in a wave of pro-Obama, anti-anything with an "R" mania, booted Gordon Smith in favor of Jeff Merkley in 2008. So far Merkley feels a little like David Wu, but without the craziness (I know I'm going to get hammered for this comment, but I call it like I see it).

Smith constantly worked with Wyden and others on bipartisan solutions, and was against the war in Iraq (shades of Mark Hatfield) while doing what he could to remain true to his principles. Oh well.
Actually I personally like how Merkley has been in office, but overall Gordon Smith didn't really bother me, I thought he was a good politician too. Though I will say you are right, Smith was just up for re-election at the wrong time, he had no real shot of winning, but he did do good work when he was in office.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM

297 posts, read 725,306 times
Gordon Smith seemed "out of touch" with the common person to me...

Old 02-20-2012, 07:31 AM

381 posts, read 1,014,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Recently having moved to Oregon, I knew nothing about Wyden myself until very recently...during the massive online protests against SOPA/PIPA in January I came across this:

KeepTheWebOpen.com

...and now I'm a huge Wyden fan.
Same story here, but from further back. He's always had a good solid head on his shoulders when it comes to tech and Internet issues (which is far more than I can say about the majority of Congress).

Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 AM

954 posts, read 1,545,838 times
In Manassas, Romney explicitly name-checked Wyden to argue that Ryan actually wanted to save Medicare where President Obama and Democrats wanted to slash it. “Paul Ryan and Senator Wyden said, ‘No, we need to restore, retain and protect Medicare,’ ” Romney said. “That’s what our party will do.”

Wyden is apparently displeased about his sudden prominence as a validator of the Republican ticket.
Liberal Wyden’s partnership with Ryan becomes a GOP talking point - The Washington Post
Time to dig up an old thread and ask a couple more questions of Oregonians about their Senator Wyden, if it's OK to do so in this hotly contested presidential election year ?
Is he really not an average D.C. politician, and if not it's time for him to step up and agree that we need a national debate about entitlement programs like Medicare, SS, etc. I don't really care if he agrees with Ryan, I just want him to do something about getting his partys leadership into the discussion ?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,410,280 times
There are talks about a possible Cabinet Post for Wyden if Romney wins.

Hopefully, maybe, he can steer some conversations the right way.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-13-2012 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: off topic - national politics belongs in the P&OC forum

Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,146,684 times
I know it's a fine line, but this thread needs to remain focused on the local angle, not national politics. If you'd like to discuss broader national politics (which is fine), please move that conversation to the Politics and Other Controversies forum. Those types of posts/comments will be deleted in this forum. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,293,324 times
It is hard to call Ron an Oregon Senator when his home is on the East Coast. That is where his wife and family live. I have difficulty beliving a politician represents me when his family lives elsewhere. A rental or Condo in Oregon does not make him a resident when his family lives elsewhere.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:20 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
It is hard to call Ron an Oregon Senator when his home is on the East Coast. That is where his wife and family live. I have difficulty beliving a politician represents me when his family lives elsewhere. A rental or Condo in Oregon does not make him a resident when his family lives elsewhere.
I don't think this is true - I'd read that this was a rumor started on a talk show and that he does own a house in Portland that he and his family spend most of their time in when they are not in Washington. His wife is from NYC, but they list Portland as residence.

After this, he supposedly bought a house in PDX (Eastmoreland).
http://blog.oregonlive.com/mapesonpo...and_condo.html

ETA: although, maybe not, as here is a WSJ piece talking about Nancy Bass Wyden's active management of her NYC bookstore and how she displays books in her Manhattan home:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...440076750.html

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 08-13-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: