Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 9,226 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job in the Halsey area and my wife is looking at a job in Corvallis. So we think we would like to live in the area east of the river. That’s good commuting for the both of us. What’s it like in that area? I am specifically asking about:
High speed internet options (cable or DSL).
Cell Phone reception (Verizon vs ATT) We’ll have no land line if we can get away with it.
Garbage removal (the county does not where we live now)
Public Schools. We don’t have any children, but good schools usually mean good communities.
Also, are there any other pros or cons of living in Linn county VS in Corvallis (Benton County)? You know: taxes, services, police, and fire protection. That sort of thing.
I’m not really interested in restaurants, pubs and such. I AM looking for a community band in the area, or at least in striking up a brass quintet (I play the tuba, and I’ll buy the literature). Oregon State University might help with that.
I am coming from a completely different world (Georgia) But I’ve worked in that region before. I like it. I found the people nice. And after the summers here (humid and near 100 degrees for weeks at a time), 90 cloudy days in a row are just what I need. So the weather will be no sweat for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM

297 posts, read 726,505 times
For jobs, look at the listings in craigslist.org for Corvallis. That will cover Halsey as well.

And check out the State of Oregon Employment listings here...
Employment Department Job Listings

I know someone who had a very difficult time finding a job (unskilled, McDonalds, etc.) in Corvallis. Lots of students looking.

But you did not say what types of jobs. So there may or may not be jobs for what you are specifically looking for / skilled at?

(My friend mentioned there WERE jobs listed, but none that he qualified for.)

FYI - Also try Philomath, Albany, Tangent, Lebanon, Junction City, and further away is Eugene.

So far as good place to live. They are all good places to live. Corvallis is more expensive and rentals are in short supply.

For internet the local phone company is Centurylink. Cable is Comcast. Phone internet may not be as fast in rural areas. And I don't know about cable. Might call and ask.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
One of you needs to have a job offer in hand before picking a community. Looking at does not equal have. The competition for positions is fierce.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
While the area is beautiful there’s not much to be had in the job department.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Cell Phone reception (Verizon vs ATT) We’ll have no land line if we can get away with it.
Both are mediocre, although at least where I live, AT&T slightly edges out Verizon. T-Mo and Sprint are unusable both at home (near downtown Corvallis) and at work (OSU). AT&T has better service on the coast, so that might make a difference if you go out there much.
Quote:
Public Schools. We don’t have any children, but good schools usually mean good communities.
Corvallis has much better schools. There isn't much "community" to be had between Corvallis and Halsey.
Quote:
Also, are there any other pros or cons of living in Linn county VS in Corvallis (Benton County)?
Linn will be significantly cheaper. Local government in Corvallis is run largely by a group of loudmouths who want to eliminate jobs (seriously, one our city councilmen actually suggested getting rid of some jobs a couple years ago) and prevent any new development from taking place. This has led to a shrinking permanent population, but home prices and rentals are still very expensive because OSU continues to grow (the city hasn't come up with a good way to go after the university - yet). Living in Corvallis, you'll also be required to pay for things like "free" bus service. A couple years ago, the city decided that sidewalk and tree maintenance should be socialized, so you'll get to enjoy paying a few bucks a month to repair your neighbor's sidewalk when his trees bust the concrete. And when said tree dies, you'll get to pay to have it removed too.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmatbloc View Post
I am looking at a job in the Halsey area and my wife is looking at a job in Corvallis. So we think we would like to live in the area east of the river. That’s good commuting for the both of us. What’s it like in that area? I am specifically asking about:
High speed internet options (cable or DSL).
Garbage removal (the county does not where we live now)
Also, are there any other pros or cons of living in Linn county VS in Corvallis (Benton County)? You know: taxes, services, police, and fire protection. That sort of thing.
I’m not really interested in restaurants, pubs and such. I AM looking for a community band in the area, or at least in striking up a brass quintet (I play the tuba, and I’ll buy the literature). Oregon State University might help with that.
I am coming from a completely different world (Georgia) But I’ve worked in that region before. I like it. I found the people nice. And after the summers here (humid and near 100 degrees for weeks at a time), 90 cloudy days in a row are just what I need. So the weather will be no sweat for us.
Which areas are you interested in. The only area I am familiar with in that neck of the woods is Peoria, other than that it seems you'll be pitching a tent in the middle of a rye grass field. Granted, it's been quite some time since I've been there and I'm truly curious. It's gorgeous country.
Koale

Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 9,226 times
Well, wish me luck! I have a phone interview with the plant manager. I hope it goes well.
By the way, is there anywhere I can buy grits near Corvallis? I mean real grits, not that microwave stuff! Real grits takes 20 minutes at least, more if it’s Saturday.
By the way, it's the end of February, and I just saw my first dead copperhead on the highway. That, I will NOT miss.
An occasional day in the 80's in February, well, maybe. Still, I’ll trade your beautiful green land/grey sky any day for one of our Georgia Summers.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I wish you the best. I have no idea about grits, you may need to line up a resource in your current community to ship you what you need.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Good luck, I'm from that area and it's great if you can find a decent paying job. I think you'd better load up on the grits before you leave GA though, I've never seen them in OR. Lots of other good food though...

Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,908 times
Not to worry. Once you find a job, finding a rental house will be a piece of cake. You want to call Thelma Brady Property Management in Sweet Home, OR. (across I-5). If she doesn't have any rentals that suit you, she will send you to someone who does.

Keep in mind that any college town will be teeming with starving graduates who are up to their eyebrows in debt, highly educated and willing to work for peanuts. That is your competition and it is not going to change so just be aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon