Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM

41 posts, read 140,414 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this messages! Makes perfect sense, and since you've addressed my concern, I'll definitely look into Texas. I've only stopped at the airport there for a lay-over, so I don't have any real experience there. Will definitely look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think a lot of people do, and our two Bush presidents didn't help.

Texas is an interesting place that doesn't fit the old and incorrect stereotypes that I have found most people have about it. Yes, it can be conservative, and there are a lot of Republicans, and going to church is a big deal for many people... but there are a lot of Democrats and Independents, and atheists and pagans and agnostics and Buddhists, too! There's all kinds. Especially in the better parts of Dallas and Austin. Whole Foods started in Austin, TX.

I have honestly had to deal with more small-mindedness and redneck-type behavior in Oregon than I ever had to deal with in the 28 years I spent in Texas. Oregon people are nice, if not a little insular and anti-social, but very "small town". I think that's because Portland is the largest city and it's actually pretty small comparatively. There are a lot of "good ole boys" in Oregon. And Portland tries really hard to be so "hip" that it often just feels like it's trying to copycat Seattle or Austin. In fact, the whole "Keep Portland Weird" thing started in Austin. It was an Austin slogan first.

Don't get me wrong - I love Oregon, and my husband and I plan to stay here for at least another 7 - 10 years if not longer... but in some ways the mind-set in Oregon can be even more conservative than what you'll find elsewhere in supposedly the more conservative states. For example, in Texas what you mostly find are people having strong opinions but who are able to agree to disagree and still have a good beer & backyard BBQ together. In Oregon and Washington (where we've also lived, as well as California) progressives and liberals often get so heated about things... and they take things so personally... to the point where they are actually acting in very close-minded and off-putting ways. "If you don't believe what I believe then you're not my friend" or you're not progressive enough or enlightened enough or whatever... kind of thing.

Anyway - I wouldn't write-off Texas until you go there. If you're into music, check out SXSW or something, that could be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:44 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
No prob. If it weren't for the bugs and the heat and my nutty family - I would perhaps consider a move back to Texas someday. Good luck with your search!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 12,905 times
You are going to LOVE Portland! It is everything you described. Yes, you can find homes with swimming pools here. Oregon does not have the humidity the south has and we do not get as much summer either. But we do love our state! It is beautiful, friendly as anything and you can find everything you listed, including the organic gardening. We have a grand mix of professional suit types as well as tree hugging hippies and everyone in between. Portland tries really hard to include everyone which is why it is so neurotic. Newberg has a wonderful Christian university so you might avoid that town. Sherwood is beautiful but a little too uppity for what you are looking for. Sellwood is a cool relaxed area of Portland but a bit cramped. Everyone walks though. There is a Whole Foods or similar market on every corner in Portland. Also, Portland is super bike friendly. Too much if you ask me. There are fatalities here every year because bicyclists aren't seen by cars in time and it is almost always because the bicyclist didn't obey the traffic laws. Sadly, it gives a bad name to the majority of those cyclists who are law abiding. Don't be suprised if one day soon they require bicyclists to buy licenses and insurance. Any of the outskirts of Portland will serve you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon