Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 8,107 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We (family of 5) are considering moving from Walnut Creek to Oregon. I have done some searches and found West Linn to be a very nice place to live. Would very much like to hear of other people who have moved to this area.
My husband and I are both retired (early) and have 3 children (14,13,9). Older two need special ed classes.
Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Post your question in the Portland Forum, I believe there are participants there familiar with West Linn schools.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
You need to do more than search. You need to come here in person in at least two seasons.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:03 PM

If they live in Walnut Creek odds are they have visited Portland at various times. I don't think our climate will surprise them.

My DD lives in Los Altos, SIL taught at 'Tino, his grew up and his parents still live in Walnut Creek. I think I know what you are moving from.

You will find homes similar to what you find in the newer sections of Walnut Creek in West Linn. The social scene is similar. It is definitely very suburban.

To assure yourself that your special needs children will be met in any school district you really need to contact them and get specific. Keep in mind that when they age out of the school system you may find yourself with transportation issues to suitable programs.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,107 times
Default Thanks Nell

Hi again,
Thanks for the information you provided. I have visited Portland a few times....but never West Linn or other surrounding areas. I have looked at a couple of real estate websites and home prices are about what they are here. As far as special ed, my girls are mainstreamed here, but have specific issues.
When I have my 'ducks in order', I will visit Oregon and talk to schools, etc. I have always lived in California and once we make our move, I don't think we will be back.
West Linn seems very nice, any other suggestions for suburb living in Oregon?
Again, thanks for your reply!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 PM

Personally I would consider your daughter's options after they have completed high school, particularly transportation. West Linn is lovely but it can be isolating if you don't drive. The Irvington neighborhood would be worth exploring, it is a neighborhood of well kept older homes. The neighborhood of Orenco (Hillsboro/Beaverton area - Beaverton School District) has lots of newer town homes and is on the MAX.

My neighborhood are close in NW & SW, others would know better than I.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 AM

5 posts, read 6,143 times
Try McMinnville, OR. It is a very nice little town... 45 from the ocean. We live in an old schoolhouse located in the hills on 10 acres just outside of McMinnville and are getting ready to sell because my husband wants to move to Idaho for better hunting... but we have enjoyed our time here in McMinnville.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmom4 View Post
Try McMinnville, OR. It is a very nice little town... 45 from the ocean. We live in an old schoolhouse located in the hills on 10 acres just outside of McMinnville and are getting ready to sell because my husband wants to move to Idaho for better hunting... but we have enjoyed our time here in McMinnville.
You're moving from Yamhill Co. to...[gulp]...Idaho...to be closer to better hunting? Either there's something crazy wrong with your property or there's something crazy wrong with your husband.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,143 times
Steve, our property in Oregon is perfect.. 3 creeks, pastures... it's beautiful and water is important now days. And no.. my husband isn't crazy... but maybe you are. As far as hunting, the laws have changed... areas have changed... Weyerhauser has locked up areas... etc. etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon