Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Oregon: property rent management, cost of living, traffic, home remodeling.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 AM

10 posts, read 38,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post
Hello. I have spent days reading these forums about Oregon and Washington and think I may have, at least, found a greater connection with OR and its people. I have long had a romantic attraction to the beauty of the PNW, but I have never visited. For many of the same reasons others have stated, I am looking to relocate there. The area I was born in has changed both economically and in the basic personality of the locale. In just the last 6 years, it has grown 24.7%, according to city-data. I feel it.

The neighborhood I moved into 29 years ago (this month) was a fairly quiet part of a geographically large city on the outskirts of DC. A couple of Mayors ago, the City decided to modernize itself. All the original shop owners were pushed out by higher property management rental fees and taxes and replaced by big-box and chain stores and goodness knows how many different kinds of ethnic restaurants. Now, instead of the sidewalks rolling up at 7pm (which was a charming nuisance at the time), we have attractive new sidewalks and streetlights, but no more on-street parking for visitors either in front of my house or even at the library, and a 24/7 downtown, ensuring 24/7 traffic. I have to depend upon the kindness of strangers (usually commercial drivers, surprisingly) to make a left turn out of my driveway in the mornings, and I often have to wait until a quieter time to turn my car around at the end of the day, since there is no such thing as backing out. My property taxes and refuse and sewer services have become astronomical. "They" are knocking down older homes and replacing them with McMansions that have no yards.

One positive thing to come out of this is that the developers who come through the area for one piece of property or another periodically make offers to buy from nearby residents. My next door neighbor told me what they offered him the last time they came through - a very attractive figure. At that time, I had a child in school, so a move was not particularly attractive. But, another sizeable piece of property nearby was released to the developers and they have broken ground. I got my first offer this week. This time around, I'm going to make a deal. It seems like just the right time to leave the area, even if I am about 35 or more years late.

Without making excuses, I have nearly nothing saved for retirement, so much of the proceeds will have to go toward that. I am 8 years away (or more, depending).

There has been a lot of negativity toward Californians on these boards ... probably a little like I feel toward all the NYers, Pennsylvanians and others around here. But, I *did* learn how to drive politely when I briefly lived in Virginia many years ago; I never mow before late afternoon; and I recycle.

I would like to return to a smallish city where rampant growth doesn't look so likely to become the trend as it is here. I've had to shovel so much plowed road snow from my sidewalk and driveway that I reeeeally don't care if I never see another flake. I only shop when I need something, so malls are not entertainment for me. A big piece of property is quite unfortunately not in the picture due to my advancing age and a damaged knee. I am in favor of and used to sidewalks and great architecture (Why do so many NW houses make the garage so focal?) and book stores/libraries and a nearby community college and an occasional movie out. I love nature and want to learn more about photography so that, besides walking around and using the internet, I have something to amuse myself with in this spectacular new place.

I originally had Eugene in mind, but the comments hereabouts have not been too positive. There have been favorable comments I've connected with about Ashland, Grants Pass, Brookings, Cottage Grove, Portland and Corvallis -- in no particular order. Okay, now you know me. What do you think?
I would like to be the first to say welcome to the PNW. We would be glad to have you, proud to have you. Now how small of a town or city are you looking for exactly? Cottage Grove is very lovely, and very very small.I have personally had a lot of fun times visiting my family there and can tell you I have never once seen or been caught in any kind of traffic there. The area is almost as nice as the people and would put it in your top three at least.No matter where you choose to go, plan a trip to see it for your self.It will be where you will live after all.But remember It's just a trip, don't fall in love untill you see them all.That will be the hardest part.
Good luck and repost with updates so when you move we can all welcome you to paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 AM

10 posts, read 38,141 times
check out also crecent city

Old 01-07-2008, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,238 times
Default welcome to Oregon.

Most Oregonians would happy to have you, and happier that you are not coming from California. We live is K-Falls, and really like it. Oregon's city of sunshine (more recorded days of sunshine,over 200 per year) ...

The jumping is the hard part,leaving what is familiar & comfy; the landing is not as bad as it may seem. The folks here are nice.

best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon