Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 6,017 times

Advertisements

We love the Western Slope of Colorado, but because Grand Junction is 4500 ft and getting out of town usually means going up, we are going to have to move. Hubby is a 100% disabled veteran. We need a lower altitude and a dry climate so we're looking at La Grande which I understand has a VA Outpatient Clinic.
We like to get out and camp, fish and gold panning, oh, and bowling. We pretty much stick to ourselves.
Has anyone had experience with the VA facility there in La Grande?
Any pearls of wisdom you can impart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,397 times
No idea ab't Eastern Oregon, but I have had way too much experience with the one in Portland.

Generally, they're okay places with pretty good care, though you'll probably already know that it's a planet all its own when it comes to paperwork and the like.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
I live in Baker City about 40 miles from La Grande on I-84.

My neighbor is a veteran who uses the VA hospital in Boise. He has always said good things about it. A regularly scheduled VA van takes him to Boise and brings him back to Baker City.

He probably knows about the Outpatient Clinic in La Grande. I will ask him and let you know.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 AM

@Random_Walk - We know the system well. Grand Junction is supposed to have one of the best hospitals, but it's still the VA. That being said, we'd never make it without it!
@Karlsch - we'd love to hear more. Does the van also come to La Grande?

Guess if there are some options here, I might need to check out Baker as well. We need someplace fairly inexpensive because I won't be old enough to get my medicare yet, but I doubt if I'll be able to find work either at my age. That would mean all we'd have is the disability.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2Hope View Post
@Random_Walk - We know the system well. Grand Junction is supposed to have one of the best hospitals, but it's still the VA. That being said, we'd never make it without it!
@Karlsch - we'd love to hear more. Does the van also come to La Grande?

Guess if there are some options here, I might need to check out Baker as well. We need someplace fairly inexpensive because I won't be old enough to get my medicare yet, but I doubt if I'll be able to find work either at my age. That would mean all we'd have is the disability.
Faith, if your husband is 100% disabled through the VA then you qualify for CHAMPVA medical, it works allot like medicare, my wife uses it we have no problems with it. Most doctors and hospitals that accept medicare will accept CHAMPVA.

I live in Southern Oregon so I don't know anything about the LaGrande clinic, our clinic in White City is pretty good, however, anything serious I go to Portland, I've heard good things about the Bosie VA Hospital.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Thanks @Terryj I do use ChampVA presently and have been pretty happy with it. We are now including some of the towns closer to the Idaho border as options so that we could take advantage of the Boise VA. Housing seems cheaper too. (I really like being closer to the hills/mtns though) Baker City is too high so it's out.

Taking a trip through there in June and we will look the areas over.

Don't think we can make the move right now, (1) Hubby's Dad is still living and I'm not sure we should leave (There are 2 other brothers and a sister available however) (2) I have a great job now, doesn't pay a great deal, but great people and the money is enough, however there is no retirement so I will be depending on my small Social Security.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Check out the VA hospital in Walla Walla, WA instead. I'm told that it's a really nice one. It's around 80 miles away ~ not that close but not that far, either.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Thanks, I will look.
Housing prices looked a little higher, but I will look again.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,149 times
Default I know my homemate just quit his job at VA outpatient Clinic at La Grande

Hi, Fridend:

I can't help to tell you this information. My homemate is a physicial assistant. He quit his job recently to go to Florida to take care of his parents.

He has the job at La Grande exactly as the job you are looking for.
I have his phone number, But I am not sure if I can provide his phone number to you without offending my homemate.

We love the Western Slope of Colorado, but because Grand Junction is 4500 ft and getting out of town usually means going up, we are going to have to move. Hubby is a 100% disabled veteran. We need a lower altitude and a dry climate so we're looking at La Grande which I understand has a VA Outpatient Clinic.
We like to get out and camp, fish and gold panning, oh, and bowling. We pretty much stick to ourselves.
Has anyone had experience with the VA facility there in La Grande?
Any pearls of wisdom you can impart?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 AM

Default Thanks

cxiaowei,
Thanks for the response. We don't know when the move might be, but probably at least next year. So, I'm not really interested in looking for jobs at the moment.

We are looking at the VA health care conditions in Oregon right now. I think we are seriously considering the Ontario area. The VA is 40 miles away, but it is a full fledged hospital and probably better for our needs.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon