Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,014 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting the coast (Newport , Yachats, Waldport) in a week. My family and I have been looking at a possible move. Wife loves coastal weather and wants to be near the ocean. I've been a desert rat all my life with moderate allergies and some dry skin issues. These issues go away in areas with more humidity. I'm working with a recruiter in Oregon for a possible job if I'm ready to pull the trigger and say yes.

I understand prop taxes are higher than in Nevada. Gas prices are 20 cents cheaper. No sales tax. It'd be renting a place before deciding on buying a home too.

So is the coast a good place to raise kids? We are both in our mid 30's with boys ages 2 4 and 9. The oldest is interested in weather science and OSU is a little over an hour away from Newport. Just wanted to get some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 AM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFF View Post
We will be visiting the coast (Newport , Yachats, Waldport) in a week. My family and I have been looking at a possible move. Wife loves coastal weather and wants to be near the ocean. I've been a desert rat all my life with moderate allergies and some dry skin issues. These issues go away in areas with more humidity. I'm working with a recruiter in Oregon for a possible job if I'm ready to pull the trigger and say yes.

I understand prop taxes are higher than in Nevada. Gas prices are 20 cents cheaper. No sales tax. It'd be renting a place before deciding on buying a home too.

So is the coast a good place to raise kids? We are both in our mid 30's with boys ages 2 4 and 9. The oldest is interested in weather science and OSU is a little over an hour away from Newport. Just wanted to get some opinions.
Sparks to Newport, that's a pretty big jump. Are you sure you are ready for that much climate change? I'd recommend you visit again for a week or two around Christmas time, if you haven't already been here in the winter.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:12 AM

861 posts, read 1,061,393 times
That's funny...we've been looking at Sparks/Reno. We see it as getting back to civilization.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 AM
RFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Sparks to Newport, that's a pretty big jump. Are you sure you are ready for that much climate change? I'd recommend you visit again for a week or two around Christmas time, if you haven't already been here in the winter.
You are right. It's a pretty big jump for sure. Our area is blowing up but I'm ready for a big change. I don't mind the cold as much. I've been doing winter sports for a long time (Mammoth, Tahoe, Etc) so I've dealt with some winters but coastal weather must be different. We are at that stage in our lives to try it. Why not right? If we don't like it we can always move back. Jobs are plentiful in my field.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 AM
RFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
That's funny...we've been looking at Sparks/Reno. We see it as getting back to civilization.
Well better come soon. House prices are going up.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 AM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
You are right. It's a pretty big jump for sure. Our area is blowing up but I'm ready for a big change. I don't mind the cold as much. I've been doing winter sports for a long time (Mammoth, Tahoe, Etc) so I've dealt with some winters but coastal weather must be different. We are at that stage in our lives to try it. Why not right? If we don't like it we can always move back. Jobs are plentiful in my field.
I didn't say it wasn't right. I just said you should come for a couple of weeks in the middle of winter, and see what it's like. Just so you don't make any mistakes. A lot of people move here and then decide thay can't take the rain, wind, fog and cool temperatures everyday in the winter, and then leave. You will see a lot less sun here. On the plus side, you will also see a lot less snow, sub-freezing temperatures, and 100 degree heat. You just have to see if it works for you.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,393 times
Quote:
Well better come soon. House prices are going up.
So is my present home's value.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
You may want to look at the southern Oregon Coast.

Oregon's "Banana Belt"
Also known as the “Brookings Effect,” the meteorological phenomenon keeps the southern Oregon coast warmer than usual. It’s great news for those who love everything about the Oregon coast except the chilly weather

Old 09-28-2017, 11:39 AM
RFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I didn't say it wasn't right. I just said you should come for a couple of weeks in the middle of winter, and see what it's like. Just so you don't make any mistakes. A lot of people move here and then decide thay can't take the rain, wind, fog and cool temperatures everyday in the winter, and then leave. You will see a lot less sun here. On the plus side, you will also see a lot less snow, sub-freezing temperatures, and 100 degree heat. You just have to see if it works for you.
Thanks for the advice Cloudy. We will definitely check things out on multiple trips. If we like it, we will visit in the dead of winter for a week. I am hoping we get out of Reno/Sparks when it hits 10 degrees in Dec/Jan

Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,030 times
There isn't a lot of good areas to pick from for raising kids. Its a long term economically depressed place, although that's fine for retirees. You will find decent schools parts of the areas from Port Orford to Coos Bay and around Newport (ie areas that have more than tourism for the economy). The rest is not ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon