Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:28 PM

27 posts, read 18,327 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been a lifetime resident of the state of New Jersey and am looking to relocate in the near future, hopefully. While the state has a decent amount to offer, I don't feel like this is the place for me.

Many people like it here because of it's close proximity to NYC and Philly, but I personally find both cities to be way too overhyped. They're filled with garbage, smell bad, and the lifestyle is hectic and fast paced. I'm the kind of guy who likes to relax and take things slowly so I can enjoy every moment.

I live in Central Jersey near the farmlands so I at least am away from most of the craziness, but am still living with my parents while I'm in school (studying computer science). I would hate to move out and pay an outrageous amount of money on rent in a place that doesn't offer many things that I enjoy.

I don't enjoy shopping (minimalist) or going out to eat at restaurants (health conscious vegan who cooks his own meals), so that knocks out almost all that NJ has to offer. The northern mountains are very beautiful, but are pathetic in comparison to many other states. I've visited Virginia and New Hampshire and love the landscapes there, so much to do outdoors.

While I don't really like socializing much, I don't think I'd wanna live in the middle of nowhere because I want to be able to promote my music and web design skills. It would also be difficult to find a tech job (I can do IT and web development).

To me the most important things for a location would be for it to be mostly sunny weather because it allows me to go hiking and kayaking easily and also I could get nice fresh produce, and being close to nature. Where I live now I can walk 5 minutes to a local park and enjoy the little nature NJ still has to offer.

A small town maybe 30-60 minutes away from a city would be nice. I've heard the Medford area has pretty nice weather compared to an area like Portland, but I have no clue really haha

TLDR;

Looking for a sunny small town near the mountains with possible web/IT jobs in the nearby area. Love the outdoors and healthy eating, hate materialism and crowded busy areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,872,552 times
You need to get job experience before contemplating a move, OP, that is my advice, may have to live temporarily in a crowded busy setting to get that work experience.... I am sure other posters will chime in before long...

Old 09-27-2017, 03:16 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzupp View Post
Hello all,

I've been a lifetime resident of the state of New Jersey and am looking to relocate in the near future, hopefully. While the state has a decent amount to offer, I don't feel like this is the place for me.

Many people like it here because of it's close proximity to NYC and Philly, but I personally find both cities to be way too overhyped. They're filled with garbage, smell bad, and the lifestyle is hectic and fast paced. I'm the kind of guy who likes to relax and take things slowly so I can enjoy every moment.

I live in Central Jersey near the farmlands so I at least am away from most of the craziness, but am still living with my parents while I'm in school (studying computer science). I would hate to move out and pay an outrageous amount of money on rent in a place that doesn't offer many things that I enjoy.

I don't enjoy shopping (minimalist) or going out to eat at restaurants (health conscious vegan who cooks his own meals), so that knocks out almost all that NJ has to offer. The northern mountains are very beautiful, but are pathetic in comparison to many other states. I've visited Virginia and New Hampshire and love the landscapes there, so much to do outdoors.

While I don't really like socializing much, I don't think I'd wanna live in the middle of nowhere because I want to be able to promote my music and web design skills. It would also be difficult to find a tech job (I can do IT and web development).

To me the most important things for a location would be for it to be mostly sunny weather because it allows me to go hiking and kayaking easily and also I could get nice fresh produce, and being close to nature. Where I live now I can walk 5 minutes to a local park and enjoy the little nature NJ still has to offer.

A small town maybe 30-60 minutes away from a city would be nice. I've heard the Medford area has pretty nice weather compared to an area like Portland, but I have no clue really haha

TLDR;

Looking for a sunny small town near the mountains with possible web/IT jobs in the nearby area. Love the outdoors and healthy eating, hate materialism and crowded busy areas.
Maybe Eugene or Portland would work for you. But honestly I think you would be better off looking in California. More sun and better jobs, down there. IMHO.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:48 PM

679 posts, read 879,519 times
A lot depends on the area of IT you are studying. Web designers are the graphic artists of the 90's. Everyone designs webpages. But if you're in something highly desirable st the moment like computer security, you could write your own ticket anywhere.

And while Oregon isn't exactly noted for its sunny skies, the weather isn't any worse than New Jersey, that's for sure. If you want sun and don't mind snow, you open up your options quite a bit. Bend is an option.

How is your relationship with your parents and the rest of your family? Those northeastern families tend to be very close knit and it will destroy them if you move 3,000 miles away when you're so young. If you aren't close, no big deal. Otherwise, expect a huge pushback from them.

Any more questions, young grasshopper?

Old 09-27-2017, 05:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,584,037 times
These days software employers focus on what you know not your degree. As someone mentioned a focus on IT security will get you hired in a nanosecond. If memory serves me correctly Symantec has offices in Springfield and some staff in Portland Metro. One reason why Symantec would focus on Springfield is that the UofO's Department of Mathematics has a strong software speciality. McAfee has an office in Hillsboro.

Keep in mind the fact that those employers have very high standards.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:16 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
These days software employers focus on what you know not your degree. As someone mentioned a focus on IT security will get you hired in a nanosecond. If memory serves me correctly Symantec has offices in Springfield and some staff in Portland Metro. One reason why Symantec would focus on Springfield is that the UofO's Department of Mathematics has a strong software speciality. McAfee has an office in Hillsboro.

Keep in mind the fact that those employers have very high standards.
Good advice, but for the record Symantec has had their complex in Springfield for sale for sometime. Also they have been continually reducing their workforce there for at least the last ten years. But it wouldn't hurt the OP to apply.

I also don't think the sunshine rate for Springfield would be significantly better than New Jersey. But if the OP has his heart set on finding a tech job in Oregon, Eugene and Portland would be the places to look.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:59 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,005,840 times
You might want to check out Bend in Central Oregon, for what you said about your life style, I think that would be a good fit. Bend is a town of around 80,000 and sits on the est side of the Cascade Mountains. It offers plenty of sunshine and with snow in the winter months. I just did a search on Monster and they list 134 job opening in the IT field in Bend: https://www.monster.com/jobs/q-it-jobs-l-bend,-or.aspx

Old 09-29-2017, 10:11 AM

812 posts, read 1,063,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
You might want to check out Bend in Central Oregon, for what you said about your life style, I think that would be a good fit. Bend is a town of around 80,000 and sits on the est side of the Cascade Mountains. It offers plenty of sunshine and with snow in the winter months. I just did a search on Monster and they list 134 job opening in the IT field in Bend: https://www.monster.com/jobs/q-it-jobs-l-bend,-or.aspx
Notice those 134 jobs include "cosmetic sales" and many similar positions.

Bend is a very low tech town. I know, I searched for a high tech job here for a couple of years. If you do find one, the pay will be 40% less than a comparable job in a Big City. Most of the high tech is 2-9 person startups, often it is a "CEO" and a coder making an app. Prineville, just north of Bend does have a monster huge Facebook server farm which should have some sort of IT work there.

Depending on your IT skills you could maybe find IT work with one of the few high tech firms in town, although expect stiff competition, or maybe for the banks or hospital. From personal experience I know that On Point bank is in desperate need of IT help, but not sure if they know it or will admit it.

Lots of sun in Bend, but it gets very cold in Winter, which should be starting any day now.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 PM

248 posts, read 452,832 times
I moved to Oregon from the East coast and since you mentioned sun in your original post I will warn you about one thing, it's much sunnier where you are in NJ. You probably have a little over 200 sunny days where you are and most places that you move in Oregon will be around 150 sunny days a year. Most of the sunny days here come all in a row in the summer; so much so that you start wishing for rain. It can be cloudy and drizzly for months on end starting mid to the end of September and lasting until at least May, sometimes June.

While hi-tech is not my field, I do know people that have gotten jobs and moved to Austin, TX and Denver, Colorado (then they've moved to Boulder) in the tech field. I think both of those have more sun than Oregon.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,704,212 times
One thing to remember is that nobody actually lives in the mountains in Oregon. They are owned by the federal government, and living there is illegal. You will find a few small towns along the highways, but if you want mountains you have to drive. OTOH, the mountain lakes are all public access, though you may have to pack your kayak a ways to get to them.

The Eugene/Springfield area would be a place to look at, since Hwy 58 has access to some great lakes, the McKenzie and Willamette rivers run right through town, there is a vital vegetarian/organic community, and a musical community that has been steady for decades.

As for weather, Oregonians adapt. Summers are hot, but the humidity is generally pretty low. Dawn to 10 AM can be delightful even on 100 degree days. Winter rains are generally drizzle rather than rain. A rain jacket and hat are all you will need 90% of the time. Oregonians do not carry umbrellas. It usually snows once or twice a winter, but it's not common until you get above 4000 ft.

Your problem will be survival, since you would be one more recent college graduate looking for a job. Eugene is home to the U of O, and recent grads are a dime a dozen. Come and visit, but don't move until you have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon