U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:54 PM

227 posts, read 1,311,152 times

Advertisements

Can I find work in Hood river as a Carpenter/Home Improvement/Painter?

Is Hood River a resort area or is there actually a community?(school system, movie threatre, downtown,ect.)

I would like to know about this area. Kiteboarding seems very interesting.

I'm also considering Bend and Grants Pass/Medford.

I am looking to start as a carpenter/painter and work my way to a builder/GC. Out of grants pass, hood river, or bend...what is the most developing community with hope for this career to be successful?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 07:42 AM

177 posts, read 934,011 times
Yes, Hood River is an actual town and not a "resort area". I don't know where it got that designation. Maybe the boardhead factor makes people think it's a resort area? Yes there is a community, school system (my mother graduated from Hood River), movie theater (used to be a drive-in until 15-20yrs ago), etc. Not sure about new construction and growth, you would probably be better off in the Bend area. It seems to be busting at the seems with new residents who need new homes.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 AM

20 posts, read 84,087 times
^ co-sign. I would also agree that Bend is growing more quickly, as well as has a larger population.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 PM

thanks for the information. Climate and recreation are also a factor. I'll be 24 soon so outdoor recreation is a big factor.

Is there kiteboarding also in Bend???

I would like to live in Hood River because the climate seems better and there is more to do regarding outdoor activity, but if i can't find a job there how does Bend compare?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 84,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
...Is there kiteboarding also in Bend???...
I thought kiteboarding was a sport that requires a large area of water + wind? Hood River sits on the Columbia River and has a LOT of wind. Bend does not. Hood River is close to Mt. Hood; Bend is close to Mt. Bachelor. Hood River is less than an hour drive from Portland; Bend is 2.5/3. Bend is at a much higher altitude. I personally like HR's climate better, as well -- minus the wind.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:08 PM

is hood river windy all the time? even in town??? Is it huge annoying gusts of winds...so annoying that you cant stay outside,picnic, stroll around town without being annoyed by the wind?

Old 09-10-2007, 05:28 PM

47 posts, read 206,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
is hood river windy all the time? even in town??? Is it huge annoying gusts of winds...so annoying that you cant stay outside,picnic, stroll around town without being annoyed by the wind?
I've found that the wind is predominant on the water and that the town (largely tucked into the hillside) is rather protected from the wind. That said, it is a windsurfing mecca for a reason.

It is not windy all the time and I've been there during days when the Columbia is sheet-glass. Also, during the winter, the wind is generally from the east and during the summer, from the west. The calmest days are usually those when the temperature of Eastern Oregon/Western Oregon and the Pacific are closest to parity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon