Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times

Advertisements

This is what Wikipedia has to say about Section 8 housing:

"The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a type of Federal assistance provided by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) dedicated to sponsoring subsidized housing for low-income families and individuals. It is more commonly known as Section 8, the reference to the portion of the U.S. Housing Act in which the program is authorized."

"Under the tenant-based program, eligible families with a certificate or voucher find and lease a unit in the private sector and pay a portion of the rent (based on income, generally around 30%). The local housing authority pays the owner the remaining rent, subject to a cap referred to as "Fair Market Rent" (FMR) which is determined by HUD. The owner cannot charge a Section 8 tenant more than FMR, even if the owner does so for non-Section 8 tenants in similar units."

"Landlords, though required to meet fair housing laws, are not required to participate in the Section 8 program. As a result, some landlords will not accept a Section 8 tenant."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little peg View Post
no disrespect to canby, but you do have a police force, something Wilsonville has only recently began to get a handle on. Canby did have a gang fight on the fouth of July this year right in the middle of town. Wilsonville is on borrowed time in my "opinion". Again, huge growth without the correct forsight. Remember we are giving an out of state person our observations, please do not think I have a bad opinion on Canby, we were part of the team that put Fultano's into operation so I have been around Canby as long as wilsonville.
Thanks for the info. I actually grew up in Molalla area, but have been out of Oregon for about 10 years and hope to move back to be close to my family again in next year or so. It has changed so much in that time that what was true back then is probably not anymore which is why I've been reading this site for more recent insights. I always liked Canby, but that was back when it was more of a farming community. I never ventured to Wilsonville, but there seem to be many employers out that way which is why I'm looking there and Sherwood area.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 PM

152 posts, read 530,763 times
what are your family's reactions to the area, they may be a better insite. I had friends in Mollala back when you would get lost getting there, used to float the river back in the day, its a different world now. The schools in Canby are struggleing with offering 2nd language programs as well as Woodburn. Wilsonville has steller schools but high cost of living, good luck

Old 11-30-2007, 06:17 AM

7 posts, read 42,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Honestly, you could pick Beaverton, Tigard, West Linn or Wilsonville, and do just fine.
I don't think so. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Sherwood IS a place to avoid if you've a commute to PDX. Why should one have to sit in a lot of traffic BEFORE getting on the freeway?

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,283 times
Default Work In Wilsonville -- Don't Move There!

I Live In Wilsonville And Am Selling Our House And Moving To Lake Oswego. Wilsonville Used To Be A Great Place To Live, But Is Looking More Like Beaverton. With All Due Respect To Those That Claim To Know What Is Going On Here, I Live Here And Have Seen It Change Dramatically In The Last 3 Years. The Schools Are Over Burdened With Esl Students And Starting To Become Overcrowded. No New Middle School Is Planned For The Coming Bond Measure, But They Are Adding An Elementary School For Villebois. No Full Time Police Force, Yet Gangs Are Starting To Tag Around Town. Too Close To I-5 And Canby And Woodburn, Where The Gangs Have Taken Hold. We Live In A Great Neighborhood With A Beautiful Home, Which I Will Miss, But The Writing Is On The Wall -- Literally. The Elementary School (boeckman Creek) Is Great, But The Middle School Is Not Very Good. I Would Take A Job In Wilsonville -- Great Place To Work, Buy Gas At Costco, Eat Lunch At Red Robin And Then Drive Home To Lake Oswego, Where All Of The Schools Are Good And They Have A Full Time Police Force. Good Luck. The Is A Wonderful Area, But I'd Only Buy A House In Lake Oswego. My Advice, If She Gets The Job Is To Find A Rental House For A 6 Months - A Year And She Where You Would Want To Buy. Mainlander Has Great Rentals! **** Luck.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 PM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
Nike IS closing their distribution center. In Focus is circling the drain. Mentor is a takeover target. That said, there are lots of small businesses that are doing OK. Personally, I'd look at Beaverton - Cedar Mill, perhaps - within striking distance of light rail. My guess is that Portland would be where the graphics jobs are. There is a new "heavy rail" system from Wilsonville to Beaverton starting up this fall on the rebuilt freight rail. From there, to get to PDX on public transit would require grabbing a light rail train.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
How do you know Nike is closing it's distribution center? Yes, we now know that Mentor is a takeover target. Until we know what happens, no reason to freak.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Packed up the kids and sold the house in Morey's Landing two years ago, decided when I saw the tagging on the new Albertsons. It was time to move on. Canby used to be a nice town also but I think that it is what Wilsonville will look like in two years, sorry, bad city planning. Lake O will always be the best place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon