Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 14,412 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking to move near Baker City and would like to know what people think about this place. It appears to have a wine bar which is definitely beneficial for us since we like good wine. How are the restaurants, and is it hard to find people to take care of horses if we go on a trip. My wife has four horses, and when we move out there, we will want to go snowskiing several times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonya88 View Post
Hi, we are looking to move near Baker City and would like to know what people think about this place. It appears to have a wine bar which is definitely beneficial for us since we like good wine. How are the restaurants, and is it hard to find people to take care of horses if we go on a trip. My wife has four horses, and when we move out there, we will want to go snowskiing several times a year.
I live in Baker City so I can probably help you.

The wine bar is in Bella's, a great place, owned by Beverly Calder:

BELLA - Where to find gift baskets, Oregon wine, Baker City products, chocolates and fun gifts.

Who was also a Hillary supporter:

Business owner gets a surprise customer | Baker City Herald | Baker County Oregon's News Leader

This is a rural ranching area, so most of the restaurants are of the comfort food variety. If you are a foodie who wants chic little restaurants, you will be disappointed. If friends visit and you show them the sights in the area, they would probably want to eat here, anyway. This is cowboy country:

Haines Steak House - Home

I don't have horses but there are so many of them around here I would be surprised if it would be difficult to find care for them.

There is a ski area in the mountains a skip and a jump from Haines:

Ski Anthony Lakes > Home

Ski without the scene in Baker City, Oregon - Sunset.com

Haines, OR to Anthony Lakes Mountain Resort - Google Maps

Haines and Baker City on on the Elkhorn Scenic Byway:

Oregon.com - Oregon Scenic Byways - Elkhorn Scenic Byway

The whole area is either in or skirts the Wallowa Whitman National Forest:

Wallowa-Whitman National Forest - Home
Anthony Lake area in the summer:

Anthony Lake from the top of Gunsight - YouTube

Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Baker City is pretty small. Under 10,000, but probably the hub of far Eastern Oregon. Pretty isolated, with Boise, ID being the largest nearby city, about 2 and half hours away. It does have the asset of being on I-84, so there is plenty of traffic that moves through the area.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
I've been through Baker City a lot, spent the night there a couple of times. I think it's a perfectly nice, unpretentious little town with a cool vibe. Beautiful area.

I keep hoping to get further NE in the state...see Joseph and Enterprise and the Wallowas.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 14,412 times
Thank all of you for your comments. We will be visiting Baker City starting 4/26, so we're really looking forward to it. Bellas sounds good. We're going to be staying at the Geiser hotel (is this for old geisers like me?).

Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonya88 View Post
Thank all of you for your comments. We will be visiting Baker City starting 4/26, so we're really looking forward to it. Bellas sounds good. We're going to be staying at the Geiser hotel (is this for old geisers like me?).

The Geiser Grand was built in 1889 before people paid much attention to sound damping so the rooms can be noisy. It's something you have to put up with when staying in a antique hotel. This would be a quieter alternative, although it's a few miles out of town: Baker City Vacation Rental - VRBO 292831 - 2 BR Eastern Oregon Cabin in OR, Wapiti Cabin on the Beautiful Powder River (http://www.vrbo.com/292831 - broken link)

The Japanese think the Geiser is haunted:

Fuji TV Unbelievable (Geiser Grand Hotel) Part 1 - YouTube

You can get good award winning beer down the street at Barley Brown's: Barley Browns Brew Pub - Home

Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
The Union Hotel is about the same vintage, just as nice (or nicer,) and is also haunted.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
I think I would prefer the Super 8.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think I would prefer the Super 8.
Ghosts or bedbugs?? It's not an easy choice!!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
I stayed in the Geiser Grand for a few days years ago. Loved the antique stuff. Had a prime rib dinner that was not the best one night. In the morning very early the lobby area had a funky smell ...after the air got circulating it wasn't too bad.
Love Baker City its such a neat little town. The downtown is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon