Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,672 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Grants Pass/Medford area this summer. We visited Grants Pass this weekend and I didn't see very many kids. We didn't get to spend much time in Medford. We have an almost 7 year old and a 1 year old. Just looking for information on which has more youth programs such as sports, boy scouts, etc for the 7 year old. He's very social. Also trying to figure out neighborhoods where he could find kids his age.

Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 PM

381 posts, read 1,016,397 times
I think there are a few threads already that hash out a lot of the info about both towns...

Start here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/orego...ss-please.html

As for Boy Scouts, I'm not really sure. I do know that Grants Pass does have a lot of kids out and about (just not sure exactly where offhand - I go there on occasion to visit my elderly in-laws)

Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,784 times
It is really going to vary on what you like and what you want for services and shopping. Both areas are great in their own ways, but Grants Pass will seem more "isolated" then Medford. Medford is becoming a fairly urban sprawls-ish area with many chain stores and places to shop. The weather is also fairly warm.

Grants Pass has more of a mountain town vibe in some aspects, but also has many chain stores for shopping, less the Medford. Schools will vary on what you plan.

Both cities of course have kids, and the longer you live there, the more you will figure things out in each town.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 10,672 times
Actually I read all the threads mentioned but found the information wasn't really what I was looking for. They are also several years old. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of time to visit the area. That's why I was hoping to get some information from people here.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
I wouldn't say either is necessarily better for kids. They're both pretty family-friendly towns. I grew up in Grants Pass and there were all kinds of activities. Medford, being bigger, I'm sure is the same way. Just depends on what kind of city/town you want to live in.

Why don't you have time to visit the area? Do you or your SO have a job offer? If so, I'd live in whichever community is closer to the workplace. They're both pretty nice places to live, IMO.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
In Grants Pass i see Boy & Girl Scouts. I just bought more cookies last week.

There is a Sportsman Park with a new name. I always saw younguns fishing in the pond, playing ball, etc. Several parks...City of Grants Pass : Reinhart Volunteer Park

The schools do well in football, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc, from what i hear on the news... www.kobi5.com

Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
I've on;ly briefly visted Grants Pass and Medford but thought they were both nice towns. I'm going to be putting in for a job in Medford. We like Portland a lot but could use a change.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
If your concerned about the schools in the Grant Pass area there are two school districts, Grants Pass District 7, which is ranked 20th in the state and Three Rivers district which is ranked 42nd in the state out of 153 school districts. If you choose to live in the city limits your child will attend school district 7, county schools are Three Rivers. In the GPSD the best elementary school is Riverside and in the TRSD the best school is Applegate. Applegate Elementary is ranked 44th in the state and Riverside is ranked 67th, this is out of a total of 721 schools in Oregon. You can find all this info at Oregon State Elementary Schools - OR School Rankings

There are a number of youth activities in Josephine county and the city of Grants Pass, lots of sports from swimming, soccer, football and baseball just to name a few. There are also a number of scouting troops in the area, boy scouts and cub scouts.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM

158 posts, read 517,211 times
I just recently talked with a man named Barneg. He said that Oregon is plagued with Meth and Cocaine problems, and Grants Pass and Medford, have some of he worst problem. He said that all of southern Oregon are really wierd crazy people. Any truth to that?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
I spent a good part of Saturday in town for Boatnik. I saw LOTS of kids of all ages. No one seemed to be acting "weird and crazy", but we left before dark. LOL
Yesterday, we took a picnic lunch and headed over to the river a little further out of town. Watched the races and had a lovely time with a bunch of other folks, and again, plenty of kids having fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon