Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't understand this thing people seem to have about Wal-Mart, which in my experience sells a lot of overpriced shoddy goods. About the only thing I buy at Wal-Mart is motor oil, and half the time NAPA beats their price. I just bought a brush trimmer at Bi-Mart today. I checked Wal-Mart and they wanted $20 more for the same machine.

Costco beats almost everybody if you want to go to the hassle of hiking into a megastore.

Costco is Chinese owned, and carries many off brands, and costs to join. Wal-Mart carries the same major brands as virtually any other store. The quality is no better and no worse. Wal-Mart is US Owned. Bi-Mart is Local Employee owned, but except for special sale prices or loss leaders they will never be less than Wal-Mart. Good stores, but to say the price is lower would not be accurate. Bi-Mart tends to be about 20% higher across the board. I am not a pro Wal-Mart person, but the statement is just plan not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Good stores, but to say the price is lower would not be accurate. Bi-Mart tends to be about 20% higher across the board. I am not a pro Wal-Mart person, but the statement is just plan not true.[/font][/color]
This maybe just my perception, as I really haven't gotten scientific about it. But in areas where Wal-mart is the "only" choice, or has no real competition, it definitely feels like their prices are higher then other locations.

I'm basing this totally off trips to Wal-marts in little town Oregon, a shopping trip in Houston, and another in Cleveland.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 PM

I am basing mine on a study I did when I ran for county commissioner and my study included Fred Myer.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
I am basing mine on a study I did when I ran for county commissioner and my study included Fred Myer.
So there may be regional differences still?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Not really. All Wal-Marts stock the same merchandise with similar pricing. Bi-Mart is the same way. Costco does adjust prices regionally. Fred Myer (Most Expensive) is (like Bi-Mart) a small regional store and they have identical pricing in all their markets.

Most Wal-Mart bashers think they are changing things by buying at Albertsons, Safeway, or other National chains, but they are only changing the amount of money they have to spend, and the profits of the chains they shop. You are welcome to spend 30% to 40% more for most items any day you want.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Costco is Chinese owned...

I am not a pro Wal-Mart person, but the statement is just plan not true.
If you like the truth, you should re-check your assertion that Costco is Chinese owned.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM

The owners of Costco are shared by board members and stock holders. The CEO of Costco is Jim Sinegal. He is a co-founder of Costco, in 1983. Jeff Brotman, is the company's chairman.

Costco is headquartered in Issaquah, Washington, United States and was founded in Kirkland, Washington with its first warehouse in nearby Seattle. Costco has locations in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Mexico, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and the United States.

Costco is financed by stock sales and Chinese funding. Costco does not sell US Made products and the Kirkland brand is based on the original wearhouse location. Other than food, all merchandise comes from China.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:52 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Where do you see that Costco is funded from China? It may be the case as China owns a lot of US debt and if a publicly traded company has any debt on their record books, at least a part of it will be owned by the Chinese. But that's not really the same as saying its China funded.

Since their major share owners are institutional funds, it's likely that you own some Costco stock.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyherzog3 View Post
yeah deff understand see and all this helps me. ca is all im used to my family lives in medford and thats where my dad is from i never been so me and my husband are planning a trip soon but wanna set some places to visit. so if walmart an nationwide stores arnt around where do you shop etc see this is all i need to learn i have so much i want to learn about and communities etc, well right now we pay 1550 a month for a 3bedroom house its a newer house but housing doesnt bother me so much just wanna pay around 1200 or less and just decent area even if its suburbs etc just dont want to drive like 45mins to a store if i do need something but i do find myself loving the houses on craigslist i see with creeks and near rivers etc yeah im not a big beach person but visiting it with kids is all we do here for fun so thats why i read about the hiking and all the other stuff people do, i just want more fun familly fun and somewhere different then ca you know!
Have you found a three bedroom house for $1200 on Craig's List? I was wondering if that is possible anywhere in Oregon. If so, I would also wonder if it would be less than 45 minutes from a shopping mall or Walmart.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Have you found a three bedroom house for $1200 on Craig's List? I was wondering if that is possible anywhere in Oregon. If so, I would also wonder if it would be less than 45 minutes from a shopping mall or Walmart.
The answer would be yes. They are everywhere as long as you are drug free, can pass a background check, and have a provable income. Addicts can find them for much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon