U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,635,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus08 View Post
There are lots of outdoor activities, go down into No. Cal and walk through redwoods, or hike beach trails, or go tide pooling. Kids love all of these! We have six, and I homeschool so we spend alot of time outdoors enjoying nature.
That's half of what I do when I go to Brookings - the redwoods.

Ever read The Wild Trees about the researchers who climb the tallest? And who found the largest redwoods in Jedediah Smith Redwoods?

I found the Grove of Titans mentioned in the book, just a few weeks ago, and was back to get photos about a week ago.

My own links typically get culled here if I post a hyperlink, but if you Google: M. D. Vaden Grove of Titans

You should be able to find my page on my hunt for the Grove of Titans like Lost Monarch. Also found another called Del Norte Titan.

Between those redwoods and Harris Beach State Park, I keep entertained. Now I'm finally getting a feel for where to eat at Brookings. It was fun trying a pizza at that new place which Zola's renovated down by the harbor. And then the Hungry Clam (think that's right) almost next door is a favorite. One of the best prime rib steaks I've ever had was at Smuggler's Cove.

The image below is the biggest: location secret. But it shows the nature of what Brookings area entertainment is going to include...
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Brookings...need help, info!!!!-del_norte_mario600.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM

239 posts, read 1,234,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Between those redwoods and Harris Beach State Park, I keep entertained. Now I'm finally getting a feel for where to eat at Brookings. It was fun trying a pizza at that new place which Zola's renovated down by the harbor. And then the Hungry Clam (think that's right) almost next door is a favorite. One of the best prime rib steaks I've ever had was at Smuggler's Cove.
I couldn't agree more! There is so much natural beauty to this area, it never gets boring. I can walk outside my door any time of day or night and find something to marvel at.

However, the dining experience leaves much to be desired. I agree that the Hungry Clam is pretty good, but the ambience leaves much to be desired. Smuggler's Cove, too, does 'okay' overall (I'm a pesco-vegetarian so can't speak to the goodness of the prime rib, which I used to love eating!) but the service is spotty, as is the food on occasion.

I've discovered the best restaurant of all is my very own kitchen and dining room!

Now, excuse me while I go hunt for that 'secret' redwood of yours!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:08 PM

11 posts, read 22,058 times
I moved here last year from Arizona and this place is awesome! The scenery and the weather are truly amazing. So are the people. Very friendly. The town is fairly small, but a very safe place to raise kids. The outdoor activities here are numerous - hiking, fresh water and salt water fishing, kayaking, surfing, photography, hunting, all water sports and all beach and ocean activities. Steel-head and salmon fishing are big here. A popular activity on the warmer days is swimming in the Chetco River - some of the most beautiful scenery in the world! The Redwoods are close by and taking a drive up the coastal 101 is always nice. For more info on Brookings - look up the "Klamath effect" or "Chetco effect". You can get a good explanation of why the weather here is so unique and why we are nick-named the "banana belt". If you like the hustle and bustle of big city life, or active night life - Brookings is not for you. If you love the outdoors, hiking, fishing, the ocean, beautiful weather and scenery, and friendly people - Brookings is for you. Great place for families and/or retirees.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,919,938 times
[quote=chadsnewlife;35666082... ... If you like the hustle and bustle of big city life, or active night life - Brookings is not for you. If you love the outdoors, hiking, fishing, the ocean, beautiful weather and scenery, and friendly people - Brookings is for you. Great place for families and/or retirees.[/quote]

Something people don't seem to understand. Good Post. I would say it is great for families as long as they have found work before coming here. My kids grew up on the coast and it was good for them. But there was more work in those days. Not so much so now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon