Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 05:55 PM

6 posts, read 17,903 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are considering moving from Portland to the Roseburg area. Can't beleive how beautiful it is down there! We've passed thru so many times but actually had the chance to spend some time. Needless to say we fell in love and like the idea of raising our young children somewhere a bit quiter and less crowded. We are renters. Any suggestions on housing down there? Cost, area, schools? It looks like jobs are hard to find unless you have some type of licensing. I'd love any feed back from anyone! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 06:59 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,004 times
what do you do for a living that allows you to move from a city to a quiet town in the middle of no where??? Something i'd like to get into?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Moving to Roseburg from Portland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post
what do you do for a living that allows you to move from a city to a quiet town in the middle of no where??? Something i'd like to get into?
I am an admisitrative assitant, currently working in the merchandising/design field for a childrens catalog company. I have lots of experience in other fields, but this is what I love most. My husband works in the warehouse/delivery field. Portland is getting so big and has lost much of it's friendly appeal. Just this past weekend I had the most heart warming experience in Roseburg and would love my children to see that everyday.

Last edited by johnsonfamily; 09-21-2007 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-21-2007, 04:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I would start looking for rental information at the Rental Owner's Association of Douglas County, at (541) 673-8015 or (541) 677-0299. They can fill you in on prices, and they are always looking for good tenants. They can advise you about areas. There are only two incorporated towns near Roseburg. Roseburg and Winston. Everything else is unincorporated residental, which tends to get a bit junky. The county doesn't enforce nuisance ordinances very strongly, so if you object to living next to a junk yard, either live in town or in a subdivision with restrictive covenants and an organization to enforce them.

Schools are pretty interchangeable. Stay involved in your children's education and they will do OK.

Yes, jobs are very hard to come by without some special skill. Unemployment normally runs 2% to 4% higher than the state average, and decent pay is hard to fined. A recent report indicated that over 25% of children in Douglas County live below the federal poverty level. It would be wise to have at least one job lined up, and enough cash reserves to live on one income for several months.

That said, it's a great area to raise children. They would have many opportunities not available to children who grow up in urban areas. Many young parents stay in the Roseburg area for just that reason.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:29 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I would start looking for rental information at the Rental Owner's Association of Douglas County, at (541) 673-8015 or (541) 677-0299. They can fill you in on prices, and they are always looking for good tenants. They can advise you about areas. There are only two incorporated towns near Roseburg. Roseburg and Winston. Everything else is unincorporated residental, which tends to get a bit junky. The county doesn't enforce nuisance ordinances very strongly, so if you object to living next to a junk yard, either live in town or in a subdivision with restrictive covenants and an organization to enforce them.

Schools are pretty interchangeable. Stay involved in your children's education and they will do OK.

Yes, jobs are very hard to come by without some special skill. Unemployment normally runs 2% to 4% higher than the state average, and decent pay is hard to fined. A recent report indicated that over 25% of children in Douglas County live below the federal poverty level. It would be wise to have at least one job lined up, and enough cash reserves to live on one income for several months.

That said, it's a great area to raise children. They would have many opportunities not available to children who grow up in urban areas. Many young parents stay in the Roseburg area for just that reason.
I looked at Roseburg this summer, I lived there in my childhood thru HS. I have been in sales for 19 years. I could not even find a car sales job in Roseburg. Usually I have 3 or 4 employers tugging on me to go with them, but in Roseburg it was a complete dead end. I would so love to live there, but Houses are overpriced for the job market. I could not find a job that paid over 30,000 a year (they are out there probably, but I could not find one). I made over 100K in the Portland area. When you can't land a used car job, then its time to give up the fantasy. Strongly recommend Roseburg if you can find a way to make it work. Larry and I have argued about this before but if your not a conservative, youll be OK in Roseburg. Larry, on other issues is the smartest Roseburg poster on other issues. As far as night life, I don't know about these days but there used to be a couple of dance clubs. I spent one of my HS reunions in a Dance club that doubles as an asian restaurant off of Diamond lake Blvd. There are bars around town to get some beer and play some pool. Good luck....If you move there please start a huge corporation and hire me on your sales team so I can Join you.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Thank you for all your input! Months later and still no luck with employment, we're thinking of heading even farther south now or staying right here in Portland!

Again, thanks for the info!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonfamily View Post
Thank you for all your input! Months later and still no luck with employment, we're thinking of heading even farther south now or staying right here in Portland!

Again, thanks for the info!
Why not try central or eastern Oregon? Lots of nice little communities throughout the state. Am thinking of Lagrande myself. Not sure either of employment opportunities, but would like to check it out.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 7,252 times
cvanripe10, your comment about Roseburg is absolutely LOL hilarious to me "in the middle of no where".
If Roseburg is the middle of nowhere, well then I dont mean to be offensive but you surely have not traveled much.
Im not under some kind of illusion, Roseburg is a smallish, quiet and relatively conservative community, I dont need to live there to know that.
On the other hand, I kind of doubt that the citizens of Roseburg conduct weekly witch, hippie, feminist, vegan, immigrant and bicyclist lynchings as most of the folks I know from Portland seem to think.

Having spent 4 years living under the "permacloud" here in the Portland area, I have to move south in the next year or so just to preserve my sanity and Roseburg is just one on a list of locales outside of the Willamette climate influence. In fact, Roseburg may very well be as far north as I can stand living. If that means living with less money and in a less exciting town, so be it. Sitting in the sun listening to birds with $7.23 in my pocket is more rewarding to me than fighting for a parking space downtown on my way to a $79 concert. Being flexible and learning a new trade is a small price to pay in order to see the sun 2 or 3 days more per year.

I know full well that Roseburg is no tropical paradise but it does appear to have longer shoulder seasons as I understand it.
Access to mts, backroads and just open land to play in appeals more to me than civic events such as opera, lectures etc.
In fact some of the most narrow minded people I have ever met have advanced degrees and profess to be so worldly and wise while raging against and condemning all those who would not vote the way they do..hmm sounds just like the ultra Righties they always spit on.

Last edited by pinebark; 09-14-2013 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: grammar error

Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Funny, but I would say Roseburg is isolated and rural also.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Funny, but I would say Roseburg is isolated and rural also.
Yep, as isolated as you can get with I-5 running right through town. That's every bit as isolated as Salem, and twice as isolated as Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon