U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 03:16 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,772,533 times

Advertisements

We went to rockaway beach this weekend (lovely!) and noticed there were no seashells on/in the sand, regardless of the tide. Is there a reason why? My only other beach experience in OR has been at Seaside, and they had tons.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,793,834 times
My guess is that you were there at high tide, or there have been recent storms that tossed lots of sand up on the beach. Rockaway is kind of known for seashells, driftwood, and beach combing. Even more so then Seaside.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:58 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,772,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
My guess is that you were there at high tide, or there have been recent storms that tossed lots of sand up on the beach. Rockaway is kind of known for seashells, driftwood, and beach combing. Even more so then Seaside.
we were there for several days, and walked down at low tide a few times and there was nothing but rocks! not even broken shell pieces. maybe we were just in a weird spot. odd!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM

381 posts, read 967,906 times
(I live seven blocks away from the beach out here in RB.)

The reason why? Everyone else takes 'em first. No, seriously... they get snatched in a hurry, especially any part of the beach between Pansy St. and N. 6th street.

Your best bet is to get out on the extreme north end of the main beach, say around N. 21st to N. 23rd or so. Few folks go that far up on the beachfront, so you'll stand a better chance of seeing something, especially at low tide (there's a sand/gravel parking area just off of 23rd - the paved lot you'll see first is private property).

Also, nearly all the driftwood gets blown/washed/plowed up to that area - especially around/along the small river that empties out to the ocean in that same area.

PS: I have a HUGE pile of shells in a birdbath in my front yard - most of them from my little clamming expeditions.

HTH a little.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
We have been coming to Rockaway for years. It hasn't mattered daily low tide or monthly low tide. There is practically nothing out here. Even the days with few beach climbers there is nothing. In four years I have found only two whole sand dollars. Sigh. Nice town but don't come for seashells.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:58 AM

15,293 posts, read 16,193,933 times
Successful sea shell hunting is fairly dangerous, since you have to do it during bad weather when storms have scoured the sand off the beach. During nice weather the shells are there, under a foot or three of sand. When the ocean is agitated, sneaker waves are more common. It's one of those times when "never turn your back on the ocean" is really good advice. If you are walking on wet sand, you are at risk. During really good beach combing conditions, it is wise to wear a life jacket. It would give you a better chance of making it out of the water alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon