Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:57 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,045 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere in OR, that I could afford to buy a home for this amount? And if I could, would I be out in the stix? I would still have to work fulltime! Prefer a stick home/craftsman........not a modular! It can be 500sq ft or more......... I haven't seen many on the realtor.com site unless I am looking in the wrong areas in OR.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 06:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Is there anywhere in OR, that I could afford to buy a home for this amount?
If there is, it wouldn't include the building lot that you'd need to move it to. In fact, you'd be doing quite well if you could find a legal building lot (no house on it) with utilities to the street for that price.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:10 PM

U have got to be kidding right? LOL

Old 09-06-2006, 09:00 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,682 times
Just for the fun of it, I went out to screen for homes that own land for under $125,000. I picked Roseburg and found three pages of homes.

Here is the linek:

http://www.realtor.com/Default.asp?lnksrc=ts1&poe=realtor (broken link)

Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2006, 02:55 PM

61 posts, read 275,718 times
Maybe out near Burns??

Old 09-07-2006, 03:50 PM

I went to the Roseburg listings, is there something wrong with that area? Those houses don't look that bad for the money. Thank you for the heads up Clear

Old 09-07-2006, 04:49 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,682 times
Hi Sillygal:

What a great name you have!

Yes, I too was surprised as well to find real property for less than $125,000. Most homes on land that you can own have manufactured mobile homes on them but some don’t. I saw many that would be great to live in while you build on the property.

Based on incomes of Oregonians, housing is ultra high in Oregon. It is worse than San Diego. Having said that, prices are being reduced and some builders are lowering their pricing as well. I had to smile when I saw some listings with a manufactured home on say 3 to 5 acres that were asking five to seven hundred thousand dollars in the hopes that someone will come along and make them wealthy. Asking prices on Coastal property is out there with Pluto.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:54 PM

Thank you for the compliment on my name........I like it too

I agree with you on the homes prices.......I don't get it!!! Is it really that nice of a place to live? And I know your weather sometimes isn't the greatest. I guess it is for the rich and the elite. No place for us average earners to retire someday ha?

I was actually thinking of the Eugene, OR area.......thinking I may not be able to ever own a house there...!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:17 PM

77 posts, read 464,620 times
a three bedroom tract-type house in a lower-end neighborhood in Eugene will run you somewhere between $175 and $200K. you can find manufactured homes in the Danebo-Trainsong area for less but you'll have train horns all hours of night to deal with

Old 09-08-2006, 09:14 AM

462 posts, read 1,707,391 times
Sillygal, I spent a good bit of time in the Roseburg area looking at houses for sale last month and came to discover that anything under $200,000 was a dump for the most part. Dirty, smelly from smoke, bad neighborhoods, neighbors right on top of you, needed lots of work etc. were all problems I saw. Small almost non existant yards and pretty awful. Once you get to the $249,000 and up price range things change dramatically. I was looking in the $175-190,000 range and found absolutely nothing I would allow myself to live in and it would have meant a move to something much less than what I have now for more money. I was quite discouraged when I saw those houses and how expensive things are for what you get in return.

Do NOT rely on photos...they can be very deceiving as I found out. The thing about spending time with a realtor is they know where the bad neighborhoods are and can steer you away from bad areas. They will also keep an eye out for what it is you want to find. In Roseburg just an empty lot in not a great area near a busy road can run you $89,000 and the lot is small with nothing going to it yet.

Just be careful and do lots of research. I have 2.5 acres in Montana with a nice little house and chicken yard, out buildings, redwood deck with hot tub, greenhouse, landscaped beautiful gardens etc, which I have on the market for less than $200,000 and I would be trading down with most of what I saw and have to live with neighbors right on top of me with no privacy like I have now. I would like to relocate to Roseburg but it's not going to be a very even trade I'm afraid.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon