U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to make a life-changing move to the Northern Oregon Coast from Oklahoma... I've seen a lot of older posts about relocating, but nothing super current. Will be looking for small manufactured home to purchase, but need to find a friendly, safe environment. I'm over 50, but not old enough for the Age Restricted parks.. (what's that about, anyway?) No children. Will need a job, but not a "career"... love the coast, and great little mom & pop diners... I have a niece in Portland, but that's a little too big for my tastes. Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM

381 posts, read 924,478 times
Depends on what you really want.

Oklahoma and Eastern Oregon are fairly close, climate-wise and in vegetation-types... but you won't see as many tornadoes in Oregon, though the hills are taller.

On the other hand, most places outside of Portland and Salem will have a similar small-town feeling. Jobs on the other hand aren't as common or readily available, and will take a lot of research and looking around beforehand.

Kinda hard to tell what you would be most comfortable with though - what part of OK are you living in now? I'm fairly familiar with NE Oklahoma (at least as far south as Tahlequah and as far west as OKC), and have been through most of the state at least once.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 PM

247 posts, read 678,417 times
I used to live in Tulsa and am now in the Medford area. I love it here in Oregon, you should take a look at Southern Oregon, there are jobs if you're willing to work.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,535,999 times
Job first, move second. Otherwise unless you like being unemployed you would be wasting your time.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:20 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,414,847 times
Check out job lisitings in various areas in which you think you may want to live. They are pretty scarce all over but if you have something specific in mind it will help to narrow down whatever availability there is. Are you looing for anything in particular?

Old 06-15-2012, 03:20 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,859,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinOKC View Post
I'm getting ready to make a life-changing move to the Northern Oregon Coast from Oklahoma... I've seen a lot of older posts about relocating, but nothing super current. Will be looking for small manufactured home to purchase, but need to find a friendly, safe environment. I'm over 50, but not old enough for the Age Restricted parks.. (what's that about, anyway?) No children. Will need a job, but not a "career"... love the coast, and great little mom & pop diners... I have a niece in Portland, but that's a little too big for my tastes. Any suggestions?
Since you will need a job, I'd stick with the larger cities. I would not move without having a job lined up first IF you do not have substantial savings to live on that will get you through at least about a year or so. I would recommend going to the Walmart website, the Fred Meyer website... seeing where their locations are on the part of the coast you want to plant yourself (I know there is a Fred Meyer's in Newport), then applying for jobs at those locations. Those two are just two examples... I don't know what kind of job you will be looking for, but even just something to tide you over until you find something better might help.

As far as housing: Expect everything to be more expensive here, for less of whatever it is and poorer quality, than what you are used to paying for and getting in Oklahoma. I'm from Texas, and it took me awhile to get used to this when we moved to the West Coast. Oregon is definitely more affordable than California or Washington States, but cost of living is still quite a bit more than OK or TX. I don't say this to scare you off, just to help you prepare for the sticker shock. What we're used to getting for $200K in Texas/Oklahoma is not the same (in terms of sq. footage or quality) as what you'll get here for even $250K. So you have to make mental adjustments or just be willing to pay more, or fix something up yourself. Taxes are higher here, too. Also we have state and federal income tax. (Not sure what Oklahoma is like... but in Texas we had sales tax and federal and that was it. In Oregon, there's no sales tax, but we pay federal and state income tax and then there are random taxes like gas tax and hotel tax, etc.)

I don't know if this is too far south for you, but the Newport/Lincoln City area might be a good area to check out. The population is growing fairly rapidly and with more people comes the demand for more services which usually means more jobs and a healthier economy. Most of the coast is economically depressed for most of the year, then summer arrives with the heavy tourist season and everything wakes up. My husband and I have been keeping an eye on the Newport area for about the past 5 years as we think we would like to retire to the coast when we're ready and that's one of the areas we're considering.

Also - be ready to sit back and relax in your vehicle while somebody else pumps the gas for you. In Oregon, it's against the law to pump your own gas. Personally, I love this, but a lot of people don't like it at all.

Good luck with your big life change!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:23 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,414,847 times
Don't dismiss age-restricted parks. They can be better taken care of and less expensive than others. Also, you may find if you choose a small town in which to live, it will be one of only a few choices or the only choice. Actually, keep an open mind about all residential situations because there are not a whole lot available to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon