Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEhm View Post
I was in the same position as you about a year ago - wanting to move to Oregon but unable to decide where to live/work. So, I took a road trip around the whole state, and I settled in Salem.

It's a city, but it's not huge or fast-paced. It's also right in the center of everything Oregon has to offer: it itself is a historical city, then 45 mins north you have groovy Portland, 45 mins east you have mountains, 45 mins south you have forests, 45 mins west you have waterfalls and the coastline.

Everything's at your fingertips here, so while it is a city, you will feel the "small town" vibe. Groceries, restaurants, hospitals, clubs, historic routes, rivers and creeks... The only trouble is getting to everything. You can bike around, but that won't work once autumn and winter hit. I started with a bike - until the snow came. Since you won't drive it much, I'd invest in something simple - I went with a Honda Accord that I bought right here in Salem at MidtownMotors.com - it got me through the entire winter snow and spring rain, so I'd definitely suggest going that route.

There are several parks here, so I think you'd be able to find a use for your talents. There are also dozens of wineries both in and around Salem with wonderful views of the vineyards. Oh, and you mentioned wanting to shop at farmers markets? Well we have them multiple times a week here

The cost of living here is super cheap, and there are neighborhoods all over the city. You can rent a house in this city for a fraction of what a condo/apt costs in Washington. Being frugal won't be a problem here. And it's so easy to grow your own vegetables, fruits, and herbs in this weather - if you get a garden going you'll save even more.

Hope this helps...

Salem is always a good choice, and you gave several of the reasons why. You should be a spokesperson for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:05 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,025 times
Someone above said you might look for a suburb of Portland that feels like a smaller town. I can't think of anywhere that fits that description. In fact, I actually think some of the neighborhoods right in Portland feel more "small town" than the suburbs which are mostly modern sprawled out strip malls and shopping centers with little community feel, at least in my opinion.

$750 will not get you a great place in Portland or in one of the suburbs unless you get extremely lucky and trying to do that long-distance will be near impossible. You might want to get a monthly rate on an extended stay hotel for one month... one that has at least a small kitchen so you don't spend all your money eating out. Then move out and be in the area while you are looking. That would give you a better chance of finding that exceptional deal you are looking for... however, still keep in mind that $750 is a really tight budget for a rental anywhere in Portland, especially in a decent safe neighborhood.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
This thread is almost 2 years old. Seems like the OP hasn't been back since then.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
This thread is almost 2 years old. Seems like the OP hasn't been back since then.

The answers and info is still good for others who read the thread. And as for small town feel in Portland communities ... Well it depends on where you are from. Those small communities all run together these days, and it is all one city spanning several counties.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The answers and info is still good for others who read the thread. And as for small town feel in Portland communities ... Well it depends on where you are from. Those small communities all run together these days, and it is all one city spanning several counties.
I definitely agree, just wanted to point out that the OP may not ever respond.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,025 times
It would be nice if original posters who ask questions like this would come back and tell us the "end of the story." I for one am curious!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 AM

291 posts, read 948,249 times
What a nice thread!
You people are awesome!

Peace,
wc@h
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon