Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 PM

38 posts, read 80,511 times

Advertisements

From here (Idaho Falls), the vision I get is of gangs and drug addicts taking over the cities and folks holing up out in the hills, polishing rifles on the front porch. It's either a sad situation, or Oregon's new version of the "Welcome to Oregon, Now Go Home" bumper sticker I had on my truck when I was a young man growing up on the Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadturn View Post
From here (Idaho Falls), the vision I get is of gangs and drug addicts taking over the cities and folks holing up out in the hills, polishing rifles on the front porch. It's either a sad situation, or Oregon's new version of the "Welcome to Oregon, Now Go Home" bumper sticker I had on my truck when I was a young man growing up on the Coast.
I have visited the downtown GP area numerous times through the years I've been in Oregon and have never seen even one gang looking person ever. Here is a live cam you can visit day or night to look for yourself. Happy hunting.

http://web.thedailycourier.com/web_cam_2/

Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Thank you, Sherwoody.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadturn View Post
Gangs and drug addicts? No. The petty thieves and vandals (some of them on meth) can get away with a lot more.

True, the City of Grants Pass has a functioning police department, but many criminals (including low level violent offenders) have to be cited and released because there is no room at the jail for them or the DA's office doesn't have the resources to pursue it. So criminals don't get justice.

There was an armed burglar that was on the loose near Redwood Elementary School a few weeks back or so and they locked down the school while in pursuit of him. He was found in a shed on the school property, but he was cited and released. This is NOT an unusual occurrence. I have many more anecdotes like these from friends/family who live in Josephine County still.

So is that really the sort of place you want to live? Where many criminals are let go to roam free without any consequences arising from their actions? It emboldens them, if anything, and they go on to commit more crime because they know they can get away with it. It's not the new "Now Go Home" bumper sticker--it's a legitimate problem.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 AM

Thank you, backdrifter. If armed robbers are cut loose due to jail overcrowding, who in the world are they filling up the jail with? Jaywalkers?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I have visited the downtown GP area numerous times through the years I've been in Oregon and have never seen even one gang looking person ever. Here is a live cam you can visit day or night to look for yourself. Happy hunting.

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Downtown Web Cam

You are not looking close enough. Gangs are a major issue in Portland, Salem, and Grants Pass. Even Independence has a wannabe gang problem.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Even Idaho Falls, as remote as it is, now harbors a growing community of thugs. Over Christmas a gang attacked and killed a young man not far from us (Ammon suburb). Seems his friend had dated the gang-leader's ex-girlfriend (or something equally ridiculous). Others fake car troubles, then beat and rob the friendly folk who stop to help.

Sad, but true, stories ... no longer limited to Los Angeles or Oakland. And when the peace officers can't control it, savvy citizens will ... our children's futures are at stake.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Are you really prepared to get into a gunfight with some punk who is ready and willing to take your life? Most people think they are, but the reality is not pretty.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM

It's not pretty either way, Steve. It's not a pretty world when evil steps in. I'm not advocating anything other than the power, even the responsibility, of the people to stand up for what's right -- in whatever form that takes or needs to take. Peace officers are the people's representatives on the front line, but they aren't and can't always be there when needed. It takes us all, coming together, to really make a difference. Evil counts on fear and silence. Without those, it can't operate with impunity.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:16 PM

I have been my own security for 50 years, I was just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon