U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,973 times

Advertisements

I moved here six years ago, from a big city, where the jobs are and do not like here. I live between two big towns and still do not care for it here.
most of the people are here are farmers so if you want a good job learn to milk cows. We are screaming for dependable people to work on our dairys
and who are not on drugs. You can make good money if you already know
to milk.
we have a lot of bike riders out here on our Highways.Please do not do that. our roads are 50 years behind the times and we have so many big trucks on the roads and no where for a rider to get off the roads Log trucks, chip trucks, dump truck, and fast moving tractors called fast tracks that do 50 down the road easy. they come around a blind corner and wham !! you are going to get it. any other questions feel free to ask away. We do invite
people to live here we are so related down here we like to see new people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 04:01 PM

610 posts, read 3,191,401 times
Well, you gotta go about ten miles or more inland around here before you get to see any cows. A couple Elk here and there, maybe. Ain't no big towns on the Oregon coast - can't figure where you are.
Oregon is for Bicyclists! That's a great thing. Oregon is still taking down too many trees per day. That's a bad thing. This state is made for the nature-hiker! Miles per day of almost any terrain you want. This will probably be one of the first states to park their cars. No need for 'em - takes me 3 1/2 hours to drive to Portland/Gresham, 97 miles away - because of the skinny, winding "mountain" roads and the plethora of small, 35 mph towns.
It is true however - and I was surprised to find this - Oregon is about 15 years behind almost anywhere else in many ways - including highway construction. Their government agencies that are supposed to be Federal and "all the same everywhere you go" are horrendously behind and flailing around like lost ducks! For Pete's sake, they're even behind Idaho!! Maybe has something to do with the nights being so sleepy.
In our area, the old-way has died off a tad - that being the influence of the Seventh Day Adventists who basically built and ran this town until not too many years ago. Still a little too conservative for my tastes though.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,603,313 times
The only place I've seen dairys near the coast is Tillamook. There are cows living around the outside edges of town. There might be farms out there too. I know they make a lot of cheese out there.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
The only place I've seen dairys near the coast is Tillamook. There are cows living around the outside edges of town. There might be farms out there too. I know they make a lot of cheese out there.
I guess it was kinda silly of me to forget about Tillamook. In my defense, I have only been thru there once though - a couple of months ago.
I do believe the author's profile tag says southern Oregon. I suppose the term "big town" is relative to one's own paragraph. I was just trying to figure out where the author resides ... 'cause it just may have a couple things I feel like we're lacking farther to the north.
Thanks Lily for the reminder.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,603,313 times
You are right RockyMtn. it does say southern Oregon Coast. I just did not notice. I don't know where it would be. I've been up and down the coast but didn't notice the cows.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Well, if Yellow Lab Lady would ever come back by, maybe she could tell us. I didn't get to do that little trip from Coos Bay south to Brookings - maybe she's in there, somewhere.
Like your signature. Artsy!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,201,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Oregon is still taking down too many trees per day. That's a bad thing.
What would you propose we do with them, then? The things grow, you know. Thick as the hair on a dog. You pretty much have to cut them if you want any bare dirt at all.

The USA is now importing 55% of its wood fiber, while it burns 2 million acres of federal timber a year. That's insane.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,483 times
She didn't say but I'm betting Langlois. That stretch of the 101 south of Bandon has some grassy, slope (I guess you could call them mountains) hills overlooking the ocean and I'm always wondering how the cows can even stay on those steep western slopes. Lucky cows with green grass and an ocean view - "Happy Cows".

Old 10-04-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
She didn't say but I'm betting Langlois. That stretch of the 101 south of Bandon has some grassy, slope (I guess you could call them mountains) hills overlooking the ocean and I'm always wondering how the cows can even stay on those steep western slopes. Lucky cows with green grass and an ocean view - "Happy Cows".
Having moved here from 7000 ft, I'm still getting quite the chuckle when we go over a peak in the coast-range and the sign says "summit 760 feet!
Maybe we should put on the cow-suit and go graze?

Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Having moved here from 7000 ft, I'm still getting quite the chuckle when we go over a peak in the coast-range and the sign says "summit 760 feet!
Maybe we should put on the cow-suit and go graze?
Sweet! You left living on-top-of-the-world at 7,000 ft to come live-on-the-edge in Oregon. Good move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon