Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,188 times

Advertisements

I am a Senior Citizen, a retiree, and a veteran who recently moved to Salem, Oregon. I have
Medicare A and B, and Blue Cross Standard Option as secondary insurance. In searching for medical
providers, I checked the Medicare website to find doctors in Salem who accept Medicare and found
none. Not only do they not accept medicare as payment in full (participating providers) it seems
that they do not accept medicare at all.

While there are doctors who accept Blue Cross, it seems to be irrelevant since Medicare
must be the Primary Payer.

Also, the Veterans Administration has only one clinic in Salem, a CBOC clinic, which seems to
suggest that health care through the VA is very limited as well.

So what does a person such as myself do for medical care? I have read many sources that indicate
that Oregon is a popular destination for retirees, so it seems that I must not be alone in this
predicament.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciaated.

Medicare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Access to care is a big problem for Oregon seniors. Thanks to east coast chicanery, Medicare in Oregon only pays 60% of what it pays in Florida. Docs take a loss on every Medicare patient they treat.

If you are looking for a primary care doc, Blue Cross may be able to put you in touch with someone who will take you, or the Marion_Polk Medical Society has a doctor search page at Marion-Polk County Medical Society. Pick either internal medicine or family medicine , get a list of docs accepting new patients, and start calling.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Have you tried signing up with the VA? My brother used them as his health care provider in Portland and received excellent care. Unfortunately you are out of Kaiser NW's service area. When brother turned 65 he signed up with their Medicare Advantage Plan, including dental (which is optional but is only available when you first sign up with them). Kaiser care is top notch.

When I moved back to Portland I was in the same situation. I ended up with Providence which accepted Medicare patients. I have been very happy with their system.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I think all the medical providers in Portland will accept Medicare or have plans of their own like Advantage Plans that work through Medicare. The problem is you would have to travel to Portland for medical services.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 PM

My first choice for an internist (@ West Side Internal Medicine) was closed to new Medicare patients which is why I chose a Providence physician. Both have admitting privilages at Providence hospitals.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
There may be a VA bus / van from Salem to services in Portland. This is often the case in other states.

I know many VA recipients who retired to Roseburg for access to care (and better weather).

OR is not nice to Seniors (High taxes, low thresh-hold).

VA in Vancouver WA runs a bus to Portland VA, frequently, as many OR retirees come to WA

Old 07-15-2012, 01:54 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
One of the issues we have in Salem is that we don't have enough doctors for the population here. We are short about 150 family/internal medicine doctors in town. What this means is that they don't have to take reduced payment clients and so they don't.

I would suggest getting your medical through VA.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Actually OR treats its seniors from a tax standpoint quite well, I know because I am one. SS isn't taxed, they receive a special deduction for their medical expenses and there is a retirement income credit.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
VA gives a gas mileage allowance. I drive about 65 mile one way to Roseburg VA Hospital. Nice scenic drive. I've always been treated very well there, by everyone.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
In Oregon the only full service VA hospital left is in Portland and most of the larger communities have VA clinics. The VA system in Oregon is good, I've never had a problem with them. I live in Medford and use the White City VA clinic and on occasions I'm sent to Roseburg or Portland however the VA always provides a housing and mileage allowance. If an emergency arises I can use the local hospitals and the VA reimburses the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon