U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 AM

3 posts, read 8,865 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a brand new member to this forum, and I have quite a few questions about a possible move from Phoenix, AZ to Oregon.

My husband and I just started contemplating a move, so I've only done a fair amount of research. Our biggest points of interest seem to be the Medford/Ashland area, Bend, and Portland. My husband would prefer to stay on the southern border because he said the weather wont be as intense as the north, like Portland. but from my own research, I've found that the weather in portland isnt that bad, dreary and wet, but not too much snow, right? He wants to move somewhere where he wont have to shovel copious amounts of snow to get out of the driveway every morning. but we want to move somewhere with seasons. somewhere where its not too hot to go outside 8 months out of the year, somewhere my 3 year old can have some culture and hobbies and diversity!

Also in my research, I've seen that the medford/ashland area is meth inhabited. I'm 6 years sober, and would prefer to stay pretty far from it. is it really that bad? we struggle with a meth and heroin issue here in arizona, being so close to the mexican border and all, is it worse in oregon?

how is employment in oregon now? has it picked up very much? anyone know of any companies that are both in oregon and arizona that i can put my foot in the door first, and then make a transfer?

a little bit about us i guess would be helpfull too:
our family consists of 3. my husband is 28, i'll be 26 shortly, and my 3 year old son. we're a very outdoorsey family. hiking, camping, boating, snowboarding, duning, offroading, etc. our household income currently is in the low six figures. my husband works in the auomotive industry, and i am in the finance industry. we really arent party animals like most people our age, if we arent outdoors, we're at home with our son doing the family thing.

any tips and facts or ideas are welcomed!!!!

p.s. sorry about the lack of effort in my grammer and spelling, its hard to type on these tablets!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 AM

should i add that we are a inter-racial family? I'm vietnamese and my husband is a mut, but clearly looks like a caucasian.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 AM

10,944 posts, read 19,248,396 times
No one will care about ethnicity, if someone should ask it will be out of curiosity.

I recommend that you and your husband focus on employment opportunities. Drugs are everywhere but, in my observation, more common in low and high income neighborhoods (yes I said high income, pushers market to them because they have $$ and are often stressed out).

Try to line up a good job before a move although I agree a job search from a distance is tough. Once you find a job find a home in the enrollment area of the best grade school in that area and look for one that is child friendly. In that way you have the best chance of living in a middle income neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,340,940 times
I agree with Nell--the jobs must come first. Keep your mind open on location.

If you want to avoid snow, stick to the lower altitude areas of Western Oregon. Below 2000 feet you'll be OK, and below 1,000 feet your winters will be mostly snow-shovel free. This is the entire Willamette Valley (Portland up to Cottage Grove), the Umpqua Valley (Roseburg, Sutherlin), and the Rogue Valley (Grants Pass to Ashland).

I've lived in cities and towns, small and large, throughout Oregon and in my entire adult life I have never been offered drugs. Maybe this is because I'm not in situations where drugs would be offered to me. Honestly, I don't know where I would go to score meth--but this is probably more about my lack of desire than it being unavailable.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM

15,172 posts, read 37,800,015 times
I'd focus on Portland first for the best chance at jobs. Then once you move you can start visiting the rest of Oregon to see if you like someplace better. The only place that has "culture" the way most people define it would be Portland. It is also the most diverse, but that isn't saying a whole lot. Oregon is quite Caucasian.

Drugs are everywhere. If you hang around people that don't use drugs, then drugs aren't an issue as your friends will influence you in other ways. Congrats on your 6 years!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM

we werent thinking of moving for at least a year. The company my husband works for will be trying to take over the auto collision industry in oregon, so until that happens, we wont be moving. we just didnt want to wait til the last second to make decisions. so we're starting our research early but thanks for the heads up. and the drugs stuff, so it doesnt sound bad there as long as you keep away it doesnt find you.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 PM

10,944 posts, read 19,248,396 times
Bend counts on snow every winter, there are ski areas nearby. Basically hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Because of the snow auto collision shops are busy in the winter.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,076,709 times
Really depends on perspective. Bend doesn't get much snow for me coming from the NE. We tend to get an inch or two here and there and maybe a 4 incher if we're lucky (it melts quick), but hardly ever get enough to break your back. We save that type of snow for dem' mountain just 15miles to our West

In fact, the snow totals in Bend are a huge selling point for the area. Want to live in a 'mountain town' without having to shovel much, yet drive 20mins down the road to feet accumulation? Well...that's Bend.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,763,428 times
i just moved to Portland from Phoenix in March. Here are my random thoughts:

Pros:
clean air
greenery
interesting geographically
proximity to ocean & other day/weekend trips
kids can play outside in summer
nice community centers

Cons:
cold
cold
cold
cloudy
more expensive
not a lot of diversity

I have had "thin blood" all my life, having grown up mostly in warm climates. Even now in the middle of summer when everyone is talking about how warm it is, to me, it's just not that warm. I've been told it takes about 3 years to really acclimate. I don't really mind the rain - I'm not sure if I truly don't mind it or if it's just still novel to me since we came from such a dry place. That said, I haven't been here for a full winter yet so we'll see what happens with that.

I've had to really change my wardrobe. My flip flops and other summer clothes don't get used as much and I need to get better waterproof shoes for winter (found out my boots wicked water to the inside if they got even a little damp, that was unpleasant). I've also stocked up on fleece, which is very nice for cold, damp weather.

My kids love it, there is a lot for them to do outside and they can play out there for hours, rain or shine. In phoenix their faces would turn red and they'd get overheated very quickly. Like you, that was one of the reasons we wanted to move.

I don't know anything about the finance/automotive industries out here. I didn't have much luck with interviews until I had a local address, but part of that is my job type/industry - they don't hire long distance.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:23 PM

219 posts, read 480,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Really depends on perspective. Bend doesn't get much snow for me coming from the NE. We tend to get an inch or two here and there and maybe a 4 incher if we're lucky (it melts quick), but hardly ever get enough to break your back. We save that type of snow for dem' mountain just 15miles to our West

In fact, the snow totals in Bend are a huge selling point for the area. Want to live in a 'mountain town' without having to shovel much, yet drive 20mins down the road to feet accumulation? Well...that's Bend.
+1 for Bend. Really nice place to live. Kinda pricey but from what it sounds like you and your husband will be able to afford it. Weather is perfect IMO. A little snow in the winter but not like the midwest. Not near as much rain and overcast weather as the Willamette Valley. Summers are absolutely perfect: low 90's during the day, low 70's at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon