Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,521 times

Advertisements

We moved to Coos Bay about 6 years ago from a lucritive area, making a nice income, but my husband was offered a better job here so we moved to Coos Bay, Oregon. After moving here the manager who (in writing) offered him the job was fired.

No job. Ouch!

So we were stuck here with no jobs, and little money left after moving in on a lease. The housing does range widely from crappy to fantastic. $100 thousand for crappy to $300 thousand for very nice custom home.

Walmart is the main hub of shopping here. It is the largest supercenter followed by Fred Meyers.

Good jobs with a future and benefits are real tough to find. The County is loosing a lot of money due to the loss in timber and loss in the fishing industry, so the economy is pretty bad. Expensive for homes, no jobs to support them unless you come here with a few thousand dollars from California to invest (which they due) and raise the cost of living making people poorer here. Technology is very, very slow comming.

If you are looking for a fun exciting place to live, Coos Bay, Oregon is not it. BORING, BORING, BORING. Very depressed economy, with a lot of poor people. One movie theatre plex, one indoor mall and bowling alley in North Bend. A few plays here and there. Thats about it unless you like to four wheel in the sand during the summer. Just ask the teenagers, they can't wait to get out of town. Very sad. Huge drug and abuse problem here as well.

It rains 60 inches a year and is 30-40 degrees for months. So May through October is nice, but the rest of the months you are pretty much in the house. To cold or rainy to take walks and enjoy the outdoors.

The ocean is nice to look at if you can see it, but a drive away. The freezing cold ocean is to cold to swim in. Would I suggest moving here, not if you have a choice, no way. Just to boring. Just to dead.

Also, my granddaughter is part African American, Indian and English. She gets picked on a lot in the elementary school in the next city and the Principal nor teachers don't seem to give a damn to be honest to stop it, though they preach they try.

The atmosphere here is the good ol boys, and unless you are from here you probably won't stay here. After 6 years we are bored, tired of the greedy bosses, low wages, and depressing weather.

My husband and I are in our late 40's early 50's, I have a college degree and my husband has been in the same field for many years, yet the only jobs available still are very poor, poor wages with absolutely no guarantee of any job unless you are in the Coast Guard.

Our adult children whom are married with kids, are not happy here either. We are all kind of all stuck here right now, but are making our escape soon. I would suggest looking off I5 for a good place to live, and just vacation to the coast. Sorry for the letter, but I am sure you would rather here the truth. God Bless, and good luck in your search.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:31 AM

331 posts, read 1,852,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboomer7 View Post
Expensive for homes, no jobs to support them unless you come here with a few thousand dollars from California to invest (which they due) and raise the cost of living making people poorer here.
If no one spent any money in any town USA, there would be no jobs at all. One dollar spent is 100 cents going into other people’s pockets. It is the lack of spending that hurts the local economy forcing employers to cut jobs and lower wages. A city without economic wealth, people spending money, is poor. The cost of living has more to do with inflation, to many people chasing to few goods, than a Californian or any other stereotype spending their money in Oregon.

C2L

Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,723,455 times
I am reading and rereading everything I can find about Coos Bay, because it sounds like just the kind of place for me to wind down my overheated lifestyle. Beaches too far away? Try being in Colorado! When I lived in Portland long ago, I hitchhiked to the ocean every chance I could get.....You are lucky to be so close.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:25 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,058,855 times
ya, beach is a looonnggg ways away!! I have to walk ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE STREET to get to it!! sigh, such is a terrible life. lol PM me if you have an specific questions on Coos Bay. Ive been here a couple years now w/kids.
Tiff

Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM

840 posts, read 6,521,123 times
I currently live in Coos Bay and honestly, it is way over priced for this kind of area. Sure it's next to the ocean, but with housing costs like this plus bills, you might as well live in a city on the California coast!! The water/sewer bills are a joke, it's ridiculous. It seems to go up when it rains heavily. Coincidence? You got me.

It's a good place to visit, but if you plan on settling down here, you better be prepared financially and mentally. I used to love rain (originally being from Southern California), but in Coos Bay, it rains constantly and it gets depressing. Most days that it doesn't rain, it's cloudy and the wind is just crazy. Hope you like replacing fence lines.

Beautiful scenery but not worth the cost of living or the weather.

Crime is VERY low, almost doesn't exist. Only problem I see/hear are kid menacing around. You'll see wannabe "gangstas" walking around once in awhile. I just laugh it off. Also, if you want peace and quiet, take your time to look for a quiet place because most of the time I hear rattling trunks, could be because of the college here (which is across the street from Wal-Mart by the way).

Jobs in small towns are all the same, get 'em while they're giving them out. Who you know is very important and forget about telling people you're from California although I have met a few people who were from Southern California as well.

My $0.02.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 PM

Hmm, all this talk about Wal-Mart is interesting. You guys have to look at it from this point, if Wal-Mart goes out of business I know you guys would be happy, but what about the thousands of people who work for Wal-Mart? You rather have thousands of people lose their jobs paying minimum wage just because you don't like the chain? Seems unfair doesn't it? I see Wal-Mart as an alternate to fast food service.

Seems like the ones who talk about Mom & Pop stores are living in the past, which seems to be the mentality of Oregon, more so in the small towns. Big chains offer more jobs than the Mom & Pop stores.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:58 PM

240 posts, read 1,285,911 times
I think the issue is more complicated than you have reduced it to. But it doesn't matter, because things are the way they are because people choose to allow things to be the way they are. If/when more and more and more people become dissatisfied with the quality of their lives and the dreariness of their jobs, things will change.

I am not living in the past. I mentioned Mom & Pop Stores as a 'business' model or ideal, not as a token of those good ol' days long gone. That ideal being, people starting their own businesses that thrive, or finding smaller companies to work for that would offer more growth and individual appreciation for the work they do.

But never mind... it's pretty clear you missed the point completely.

People come to Oregon --have always come to Oregon-- to find a better way of living. Many of us give up the metro-life, with all its conveniences and flashy attention grabbing & numbing activities, for the quiet beauty and wilderness of this beautiful State. It's a State within the Union but Oregon is also a state of mind. Many of us who come here are nonconformists, and were sheep herders rather than sheep in our previous lives. I think that's why it kills me, and many like me, to see chains like WalMart popping up everywhere, pock-marking the uniqueness of this State, making it hard to distinguish Oregon's sweet little towns from those strip malls found in "Any Town, U.S.A."

Old 06-05-2007, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,222 times
Does anyone have any information on the Green Acres Area of Coos Bay?
A friend of mine suggested I look into housing there..weather is better than right on the coast.
any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,863,675 times
I'm not sure if the Green Acres area is out of the city limits or not. There's not much there but it's close to Coos Bay only east of it. It's kind of a country like area.
You might try looking out in Coquille which is a small city east a few miles from Coos Bay.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I'm not sure if the Green Acres area is out of the city limits or not. There's not much there but it's close to Coos Bay only east of it. It's kind of a country like area.
You might try looking out in Coquille which is a small city east a few miles from Coos Bay.
It's a little further than a few miles LOL.

I know people commute from there for work so it's not unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon