Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,047,674 times

Advertisements

I will say Im very frustrated and bored w/Coos Bay right now for very dumb reasons. - All this wild and crazy weather that the rest of Oregon has, well, none of it really hits Coos Bay/North Bend. - we've got some winds tonight, like 40mph w/gust of about 60mph tops, but it sounds like its pretty much all over now but the drizzle and some slight gusts (20mph) - but, an hour up the coast, and all the way to Washington, theyre having the REAL storms. - I just read a report of 102mph!! - the average all the way from Florence to the Washington border is 75-100mph winds. - here, NADA sigh - when the rest of the state was in the cold snap and it snowed EVERYWHERE, well, it didnt here. We dont get the really awesome storms, or ANY of the extreme weather. Now dont get me wrong, Im glad to be safe and all, but for me, personally, Im bored out of my wits with our weather. I just wanted just ONE really good storm!!! But did we get it? nope. Never do. sigh -- I was soooo jeoulous too of the rest of the Oregon coast last winter. They all had a very rare and beautiful sight one day, when they actually had snow on the beaches. Now that is truly something amazing and cool to see. Lucky them. lol - anyhow, I just had to complain real quick and say that yes, that is one thing I truly despise about living here. Never any good variations in the weather. Alwasy somewhere between 40-80degrees, never any major winds/floods/storms. boring. lol
Tiffany

Old 11-13-2006, 03:27 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,682 times
Tiffany, are you a storm chaser? Obviously, you are going to have to move further north to log any serious umbrella time. I remember those 75 mile an hour winds in Portland. I did not like them very much as I recall. Blowing rain can be as much of a challenge as driving on snow in the Midwest. I have seen unobstructed howling winds coming off the ocean. We need to find some way to harness that energy to power our homes and cars. Is leaving Snooze-bay in your future?

Dan

Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Dan,
Oh, I dearly love storms. - I was in my early 20s when the last really big one hit the Portland area and was living in Tigard. Oh boy but that one was right up my alley!! lol I used to live on a road called Windy City Road too, and when the winds were high, that area REALLY lived up to its name. I miss the snow, I miss the occasional flood, I miss the awesome wind storms, and even the few days of over 100degrees. Ive been in coos bay now for a little over 3 yrs, and truly, besides the lack of an Applebys, my biggest complaint is the boring weather. I was whining to my husband last night that I really want to move up to around Newport. Thats always been one of my fav. areas anyhow. And they do get some really good storms. I dont know if we'll live in Coos bay for the rest of our lives. I dearly love living at the beach, I would like to stay along side, But for one, my husband is a total homebody. I turned down an incredible job offer in Pennsylvania a few years back cuz he was anti-moving from Oregon, I do love Ore. and most our family are here, so theres that too. Oh, i dunno, out of coos bay, possible, out of Ore? probably not.
Tiffany
Tiff

Old 11-13-2006, 09:59 PM

85 posts, read 644,310 times
Default 75 mph winds

Dan,

You are creeping me out. First with the enormous calves, now with the gale force winds! (There was something about digging your car out of a glacier, too.) I guess I'll just have to eat more Umpqua (sp.?) or Tillamook ice cream for ballast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
Tiffany, are you a storm chaser? Obviously, you are going to have to move further north to log any serious umbrella time. I remember those 75 mile an hour winds in Portland. I did not like them very much as I recall. Blowing rain can be as much of a challenge as driving on snow in the Midwest. I have seen unobstructed howling winds coming off the ocean. We need to find some way to harness that energy to power our homes and cars. Is leaving Snooze-bay in your future?

Dan

Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,791 times
Hey Tiff you wouldn't be complaining about where you live in Oregon and reminiscing about where you used to live would you?? That would be so very Californian of you. Just messin' with you but also wanted to point out the irony.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:47 AM

awww Des, and i thought we were friends!!! lol - you know, youre right!! (but man, did ya HAVE to call me the C word!?? jk- lol!!)
Tiff

Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 PM

I couldn't resist... it was right there... and I went for it. Sorry! I know it was harsh. Hehe

Old 11-14-2006, 01:28 PM

lol, its all good. THIS time! lol jk. (dang but I hate it when I have to admit someone else is right though!! LOL)
- just a side note, its another beautiful mild day here at the beach in Coos bay. - I just read something in the paper that tomorrow, another storm is gonna hit land along the coast. Guess where? yup, ya'll got it, central/northern coast. Starting probably bout an hour up from me. lol So hey, if mild weather, year round is what ya want, coos bay is the place for you! On the upside about it all, our crabbing isnt too affected! so theres a pretty consistant supply of fresh crab. Now THATmakes it all worth it!!
Tiff

Old 11-17-2006, 05:49 AM

3 posts, read 32,223 times
yeah... I haven't checked this.

for an update, we've been doing a lot of research and with addition to your guy's info, maybe coos bay in not for us.
we've been looking at Carson City or Las Vegas nevada just for the economy and housing prices. (it's DEFINATELY not for the weather, lol)
coos bay or near there will ultimately be our dream place though. ahhh... maybe when we retire in 35+ years or save some more money.

for the responder who said I was ignorant for thinking of walmart in a bad light, it is my opinion. I truely hate what they are doing to the economy and local farmers. They don't pay their employee's any money for taking out the rest of the competition, they scr*w over their employee's when they get hurt. i speak from experience on that one, I've seen so many people in hospitals from injuries going broke because wallyworld won't pay worker's compensation. maybe that's just walmarts in GA, I don't know.
but this is another conversation unto it's own.

thank you all for responding, hopefully I'll be visiting the beautiful Oregon coast soon.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 AM

I agree with you beautiful monster (hehe fun typing that name) - WalMart is the spawn of pure evil. Everyone I know boycotts it. Good for you for being aware. It is true though that they make their money by staking out in locations that don't have much else and push out all the local businesses and make them go out of business. Its disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon