Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 AM

5 posts, read 7,236 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Oregon next year. I will be at ITT Tech, either in Portland or Salem, it depends on what we figure out will be the best area to live in, for us. Here is what we are looking for:
A place between the 2 cities because my wife will be working with the Federal Government, in one city or the other. We need some acreage as we have chickens, a potbellied pig, dogs and cats. We also have one confused duck who thinks he is a chicken. We are looking to have horses once we get there. The other possible issue it that we are lesbians and although many areas have no issues with this, we understand that there are going to be some people with issues. (We live in Texas, believe me, we understand!) So in knowing all of this, what are some recommendations? Live between the two citeis, somewhere along I-5? Also, from what I can tell, ITT is in East Portland and SouthWest Salem. I am leaning towards the outskirts of Portland, on the East side but would like some advice.
Thanks for your response,

Becky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
ITT Tech is south of PDX not far off I-205. For rural property look east of I-205 and Hgwy 99E. You might find something out by Mulino but frankly finding a place to rent with a barn won't be easy.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Word of advice, look into something different then ITT. They're a degree mill and nothing more. Their teaching is usually out of date, and usually taught by bad teachers. Most HR people won't accept ITT degrees as meeting the minimum requirements for hiring, and every person I've hired myself or had working for/with me with an ITT degree has ended up getting laid off pretty quickly because their learning curve to actually do the job was too high.

I'd suggest going to a Community College first and then depending on what degree you're looking at, go to a proper four year school.

Ducks and pigs will not be allowed in city limits in most places. Chickens are becoming more common, but you'll need to check each individual cities rules. East Side of Portland will not be for you for this reason, you'll end up commuting at least an hour to ITT because Gresham (at least when I looked about a year ago,) does not allow chickens either.

Either way Oregon will be a heck of a lot more accepting of you then Texas will. The bigots will be in the definite minority. There will be a sector of people who don't agree with your lifestyle, but won't ever say anything to you about it.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I agree with hamellr. Forget ITT Tech, attend Oregon Technical Institute. https://www.oit.edu/wilsonville

Wilsonville is south of Portland off I-5. Frankly technical employment is a lot easier to find in Portland metro than Salem.

A rental with a barn that can accommodate all your animals will be very hard to find.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Thank you, I will definitely check those places out. Even if we have to drive for an hour or so, that is not a big deal. In Texas, that is a short trip ;-)

Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 PM

Thank you for the information. I am not sure I understand the negativity towards ITT, there. Here it is one of the best technical schools in Texas. There are 10 of them, total, I think. Are they not good there or is there someplace better?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Oh, in your previous post when you mentioned ITT Tech I thought you were referring to jobs rather than the school. I have to tell you that here in Portland I also find that school does not have a very good reputation. I have worked for various insurance companies that had quite a few IT departments. Honestly, since I no longer work for any of them I can tell you than on the rare occasion when there was an opening for any IT job, anyone with a resume that stated the applicant with a degree from ITT Tech not only was not considered for the job but his or her resume was placed in the "circular" file without even being read all the way through.

The reason was because with all the IT talent out here both via transplants and home grown, they looked at this type of schooling as less than adaquate. I am sorry to say this but it's something you may want to think about. When you have the type of competition you have in Portland for these types of jobs, the highest eduated will be the ones who will succeed in getting hired.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM

that makes sense, so the other school that Nell Plotts wrote about would have a higher degree field?

Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newties23 View Post
that makes sense, so the other school that Nell Plotts wrote about would have a higher degree field?
I don't know about that school but I would think it would especially if Nell recommended it. She does know alot about these things.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
It depends entirely on what kind of program you are going to - what area are you interested in? What level of degree (Associate, Bachelor's a Certification of some sort)?

In the Portland area, Portland State University and Oregon Institute of Technology both have full engineering programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon