U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,501 times

Advertisements

Hello first time poster. Please excuse any mistakes. My wife and i fell in love with the oregon coast. Brookings looks like a good fit for us. We are in our early fifties enjoy all outdoor activities.We have heard of noise and odors from the woodmills in town. Is there a area in town to avoid due too the mills. Any areas in town to avoid for any other reasons. Thank you for your advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,431,137 times
Never lived in Brookings. I have visited a few times and spent quite a bit of time on the coast. Mill smells/noise has never been on the radar for that town for me. If you are going to move there do not buy sight unseen and spend a few weeks there in the off season November - February to get a feel. Take the time to explore.

I really like Gold Beach to the north as well. Just a tip: The Motel with a single digit number after the name, that rhymes with mix is inexpensive and has a great view in Gold Beach.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 PM

54 posts, read 280,536 times
Olaffison:
Crescent City is a great little town in a very scenic area of the north coast. However, if you haven't lived along the coast before, you may find it quite different from where you've been. Be prepared for a lot of rain, and overcast days, a sluggish economy and limited shopping and services. (Typical of a small town in a rural area.)

Definitely visit there several times first and talk to local realtors and business people. Then if things check out to your liking, make your move. If it's what you're looking for it can be a very nice spot. There many retirees in the area.

Best wishes in your search,
minorbrew

Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,909,498 times
Interesting news that may help.

At 9AM this morning Burns was 35 , Portland was 52, Bend was 41, Salem was 56, and Brookings was 65.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 9,501 times
Hello Mr Pickering. Thank you for your response. I have researched the oregon forum for the past few years and have found your advice to others considering moving to oregon very wise . Are you aware of any noise or smoke from the woodmills in brookings that have a negative affect in any part of town.Also any other advice on living on the southern oregon coast will be appreciated. We are familiar with the weather and jobs are not a issue as we will be retiring from southern california.Thanks.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Mills are mills. If you live next to it you will get noise and maybe smoke. Dust for sure. If you don't it isn't an issue.

Keep in mind mills are jobs. Even if you don't need a job your neighbors do. That is something retirees often forget.

And thank you for the comment on my posts.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:20 PM

65 posts, read 204,056 times
are there areas in Brookings to stay away from? We are taking a trip up within the next couple months to check it out for a possible move. We have lived in Alaska for the last 9 years and have been renting in Northern Ca. near family for a year now and are really not liking the area we are in.

Just curious what side of town would be the best to look at renting a house or condo. Husband and I are in our 50's quiet and clean.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM

Brookings is a safe town. Take your pick when you get there for a visit.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM

65 posts, read 204,056 times
Thank you Steve. Nice to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon