U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM

17 posts, read 86,418 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm intrigued by this forum. I am contemplating a move to Oregon in 3-5 years when I retire. I was looking at Coos Bay/North Bend because I love being by the ocean, but the posts for that City are so negative -- does anybody know why? One guy called Coos "the armpit of Oregon". Another said there is a big meth problem, high unemployment etc. In short, I couldn't really find anything positive about the area, although it was highly recommended by 2 friends. Then I ran across some info on Bend, Oregon (a bit farther north) and found nothing but positive comments. I like the Willamette area but would rather be on the coast. So can anybody compare the two for me as far as cost of living, home prices, culture, weather, economy (not sure if I'll need a part-time job, but would like the option if needed), and relative education of citizens. If not either of these two cities, how about Brookings (farther south and warmer), Newport, or Astoria (way up north). Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 AM

8,000 posts, read 15,415,660 times
Neither is in the Willamette area. \

Yes, Coos Bay has all the problems you read about and they are not exaggerated. But .... I and 14,000 others love the area.

Bend has issues also and the population is dwindling, But .... A lot of people like it also. It is in the high desert, not the Willamette Valley.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,856,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropix View Post
Hey all, I'm intrigued by this forum. I am contemplating a move to Oregon in 3-5 years when I retire. I was looking at Coos Bay/North Bend because I love being by the ocean, but the posts for that City are so negative -- does anybody know why? One guy called Coos "the armpit of Oregon". Another said there is a big meth problem, high unemployment etc. In short, I couldn't really find anything positive about the area, although it was highly recommended by 2 friends. Then I ran across some info on Bend, Oregon (a bit farther north) and found nothing but positive comments. I like the Willamette area but would rather be on the coast. So can anybody compare the two for me as far as cost of living, home prices, culture, weather, economy (not sure if I'll need a part-time job, but would like the option if needed), and relative education of citizens. If not either of these two cities, how about Brookings (farther south and warmer), Newport, or Astoria (way up north). Thanks in advance for anything anyone can tell me.
Bend is in Central Oregon. North Bend is on the coast, north of Coos Bay.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM

17 posts, read 86,418 times
So how long have you all lived in Oregon? What city do you prefer and why? I realize that every place has its problems, but overall, I'm looking for an area with fairly decent weather, a pretty natural environment with green spaces, or close to the ocean if I can get it, decent shopping, and culturaly diverse with open-minded people (no rednecks, had enough of those!) who are fairly educated and reasonably well informed. I don't consider myself super intelligent or anything above my peers, but when I look like a genius beside people in the town I live in who don't even know who the president of the U.S. is, or how to speak standard English, that's a problem -- and I'm REALLY tired of the racism prevalent in some states I've been to. For what I can sell my small condo here, I can buy a 3-4 bedroom house with yard in Oregon, but by doing so, I don't want to end up living in a "slummy" area with crime, no employment opportunities should I decide to do some part-time work, and no community activities. I don't want to be bored or afraid to go for a walk alone after dinner or through forest/park areas, or do all my shopping thru a catalog. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So how long have you all lived in Oregon? What city do you prefer and why? I realize that every place has its problems, but overall, I'm looking for an area with fairly decent weather, a pretty natural environment with green spaces, or close to the ocean if I can get it, decent shopping, and culturaly diverse with open-minded people (no rednecks, had enough of those!) who are fairly educated and reasonably well informed. I don't consider myself super intelligent or anything above my peers, but when I look like a genius beside people in the town I live in who don't even know who the president of the U.S. is, or how to speak standard English, that's a problem -- and I'm REALLY tired of the racism prevalent in some states I've been to. For what I can sell my small condo here, I can buy a 3-4 bedroom house with yard in Oregon, but by doing so, I don't want to end up living in a "slummy" area with crime, no employment opportunities should I decide to do some part-time work, and no community activities. I don't want to be bored or afraid to go for a walk alone after dinner or through forest/park areas, or do all my shopping thru a catalog. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oregon has a substantial mix of "Rednecks" and Liberals. Coos County is actually a "Gun Toting" Democratic voting enclave. Go figure.

As to language, remember Oregon has one of the largest Hispanic populations in the country. The current political régime has declared Oregon to be a sanctuary state.

I am 65 and I was conceived in Oregon. Although I have lived all over the country, I have spent half my life in Oregon at different times, and in differing decades.

You may want to look elsewhere.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,931,169 times
Quote:
I realize that every place has its problems, but overall, I'm looking for an area with fairly decent weather, a pretty natural environment with green spaces, or close to the ocean if I can get it, decent shopping, and culturaly diverse with open-minded people (no rednecks, had enough of those!) who are fairly educated and reasonably well informed.
You won't find a place in Oregon on the coast with 'nice' weather as most define it. If you want that travel South past Northern California.

I like Bend best in Oregon, but I'm extremely bias because I like the drier, sunnier climate with all the outdoor recreation within 20mins. Plus, I wanted to get away from the city style rat race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Bend has issues also and the population is dwindling, But ....
Steve Pickering you are wrong. We lost a total of 3-5k in the economic downturn and have since stabilized and are even seeing a slight uptick* recently after having such a huge population boom over the last two decades.

1990 Bend population: ~20,000
2010 Bend population: ~76,000
From 2000 to 2010 Bend had a population gain of ~47%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend,_Oregon

*An article with real population statistics from 2010-2011: We're Still Growing: Deschutes Co. 39th in U.S. | News - Home We are no longer the fastest growing metro in the country, but as of 2011, we are the 39th fastest growing metro.

Steve Pickering, if you'd like to poor over some of the more raw numbers, here's a good link: Portland State College of Urban & Public Affairs: Population Research Center | Annual Oregon Population Report

Quote:
...remember Oregon has one of the largest Hispanic populations in the country.
Wrong again: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/hhmcensus1.html & http://www.newstaco.com/2011/06/14/t...o-populations/

Last edited by kapetrich; 10-04-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Interesting. The county records (Occupied Structures) show a decline in the population as I stated . Mostly in 2011 and 2012. That doesn't mean Bend is not a good place to live. Far from it. The area was over populated in the previous decade. A decline is a good thing for sustained livability in a desert community.

Yes, Bend was growing until 2010. Not a good thing as the infrastructure could not keep up with the growth. Things have cooled off now.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Your biased reporting sites don't look at the whole picture. I did not say they were in the top 10, I said they were "ONE" of the ........

Here is a more accurate picture.

Oregon growth rate slows; its Hispanic population booms - USATODAY.com

Also a loss of over 5,000 and a gain of 1,500 is a net decline.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,931,169 times
Quote:
Interesting. The county records (Occupied Structures) show a decline in the population as I stated . Mostly in 2011 and 2012. That doesn't mean Bend is not a good place to live. Far from it. The area was over populated in the previous decade. A decline is a good thing for sustained livability in a desert community.

Yes, Bend was growing until 2010. Not a good thing as the infrastructure could not keep up with the growth. Things have cooled off now.
Just the opposite. Bends population stopped growing and declined in the 3 years prior to 2010 then stabilized and even grew post 2010. Are you looking at the same facts I posted or....?

Which county records/occupied structures statistics are you talking about? If you posted a link to this maybe we could understand? I've linked to both national and state level population statistics that refute any of your claims.

I totally agree that it is a good thing Bend has cooled off. Our infrastructure needs to catch up among other things.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,856,102 times
Quote:
I've lived in Bend (Central Oregon) for 4 years. Before that, I lived in several cities and small towns in Colorado, as well as very short stints (less than 4 months each) outside of LA and Seattle. I love Bend, with the exception of the long winter and the distance from my family. You probably need to start by giving us a definition of fairly decent weather to you. For me, anywhere on the OR coast is not going to be fairly decent, but if you don't mind rain/overcast skies most of the time, then it might be decent to you. Coos Bay and most of the coast is general, is not considered progressive in any way. The coast towns are fairly small, isolated, and really a different world. I can't speak for most of it, because I haven't been there enough, nor have I been to Coos Bay or North Bend. However, just do a search of these forums and read for yourself. Work, anywhere in OR, but especially on the coast, is going to be really difficult to find. I also think culturally the coast is lacking.

I haven't found Oregon to have a large Hispanic population overall, but perhaps I just don't notice or think about it. Of course, being from Colorado, I suppose I don't even pay attention. If you speak Spanish or English, I don't care. Racism, in general, though is pretty low compared with many other places in this country. People don't seem to care, or at least don't vocalize that they care. I love Oregon for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon