Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,787 times

Advertisements

Hello Cal2783,
My money would be on Grants Pass. It has that small town feel with lots of business. The people there are very friendly. Check it out. Its not to far from the northern border of Cali. Good Luck with your search.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 AM

82 posts, read 88,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeboxDiaries541 View Post
Your best bet would be to stay out of Oregon. Medford has a gang problem and a drug problem. Portland metro has a polution problem and a drug problem. Salem is crowded and dirty. Eugene is a college town, so crime in every form can be a problem. and Ashland is super expensive. Oh, and the state of oregon has legal video poker and slots in almost every eatery and bar, so gambling is a major problem here. Gambling, of course, leads to increased poverty and crime. and don't even get me started on all the sex shops. The only benefit of living in this state is the no sales tax, but we more than make up for it in other taxes. I'd say stay in WA (i lived their and loved it) or look at northern california (i'm staying with relatives in redding right now and have always prefered it to my hometown of medford)...
Um, you seriously have NO idea what you're talking about. Portland happens to be one of the cleanest cities in the nation in terms of pollution. The idea that you think Medford has a gang problem is laughable. You'd be in for a serious shock in many California towns of the same size. Medford has a serious drug issue, that I will concede, but a gang problem it does not have.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:01 PM

82 posts, read 88,110 times
Oh, to answer the question that the OP asked...

Medford: Alright, especially within the last 8 years or so, the housing market in Medford area has boomed, and with that the prices have gone way up. I do believe it is one of the most expensive areas on the state at this point. Also, not a welcoming environment if you're a liberal.

Eugene: Very nice smaller city with a pretty liberal population. The housing in this area is still somewhat affordable. The crime rates are still rather low too. However, this is in central OR, not southern, so it really doesn't fit your criteria.

Ashland: As you stated, a bit too expensive, especially for first-time buyers. However, this is such a beautiful area in Southern Oregon. Most people I know who live there never even go into Medford (10 miles away). It's very accepting of liberals, and for a small town it has a lot of culture.

What areas are you looking at in Northern California? Are you wanting to be near the 5 corridor, or are you open to being near the coastal areas? Are you cutting NorCal off at about Sacramento, San Francisco, or Redding?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:34 AM

7 posts, read 30,051 times
Go Beavs:

I looked into Ashland and I really love it!!! I am looking for a town like that, but a little less expensive, atleast untill we can move there. So far, for Oregon, I like Cotton Grove. I'm not to sure about Grant Pass I havent really did too much research on that, but from what I heard they are having funding problem for libraries and police. Is it true, because it does sound like a nice place also.

As for as Nothern California, I would say my cut off is Sacramento. I wanna stay closer to the northern part of California. So that we are somewhat inbetween his family, which is in hoodriver, Or and White Salmon, Wa and my family which is in Los Angeles, CA. I think the main thing that I'm looking for is a good job and affordable housing, in a somewhat small but nice area (and as stated before, less rain would be really good too). I'm not too concern about schooling, because my baby wont be shool age.

Eugene sounds nice, but how is the traffic since it is a college town? Are the houses in a more of a surburban type environment or are there some country type areas available too?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 AM

68 posts, read 351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Um, you seriously have NO idea what you're talking about. Portland happens to be one of the cleanest cities in the nation in terms of pollution. The idea that you think Medford has a gang problem is laughable. You'd be in for a serious shock in many California towns of the same size. Medford has a serious drug issue, that I will concede, but a gang problem it does not have.
I've tried to think of something nice to say without calling you an ignorant fool...it didn't work, so here goes:

Portland is a very dirty city. Do you read? Awesome, you do. Okay, perhaps you should read one of the many recent articles concering this "problem". Here's a link, since you're probably too lazy to find it yourself (after all, you argue without facts, right?) Turks.US Daily News - US Metro Areas Rank High In Toxic Pollution Index (http://www.turks.us/article~story~USMetroAreasRankHighInToxicPollut.ht m - broken link)

And, I believe AOL just did a front page story a while back, but what do I know, I'm from Medford. Which brings me to my next point. Gangs. Yes, we do have gangs here. And, you'd be surprised to find that most CA towns are very peaceful. But really, what do you know? You've probably never even spent a day in CA. How ignorant. The benefit of doubt? Okay, perhaps you're confused as to what a street gang is. You know, it isn't ALWAYS that group of teenaged hoodlums in a lowrider blasting their rap music. No, sometimes (most of the time, in the case of medford), it's a group of badass, middle-aged bikers dealing meth out of a motel parking lot.

So what do ya know? Nothing.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM

13 posts, read 36,397 times
Ok Shoe Box Diaries - You're a "spouter". Somewhere along the line, you picked up this attitude regarding, well, just about every place you have ever been. I have read back over all of your posts. Not only does trouble seem to follow you wherever you go (or more like you bring trouble with you everywhere you go), but you sound like a transient who can't hold a job, doesn't have his own place to live most of the time, and you are provoking (maybe you didn't get enough attention as a child or do you havce short mans syndrome?). If your posts here are any indication of your personality and nature, I'd say you pissed off the wrong people in all of these cities you seem to know so much about and they called your a$$ on it. Was that right of them? No. Did you deserve it? Probably.

As far as Redding vs. Medford, you are dead wrong. Just to set the record straight for the people on here actually looking for solid information, I suggest you check out this site before directing them to Redding. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

2005 Crime Stats
Medford Murders: 1
Rape: 40
Robberies: 76
Assaults: 352
Burglary: 806

Redding:
Murders: 2
Rape: 89
Robberies: 84
Assaults: 440
Burglary: 1057

Overall, the Medford crime stats website indicates that Medford crime levels are above the national average. The amount of crime for its population is too high; however, the numbers speak for themselves when comparing Redding to Medford - so don't.

I lived for 16 years solid in Medford Oregon and loved it. I got a good education, the outdoor experiences there are invaluable, the people help each other, and those who are willing to work their way up job-wise are making a more than decent living. I have family all over the Rogue Valley and am preparing to move back within the year. Does Southern Oregon have its problems? Yes. Are those problems different from most U.S. cities? No.

If you hang out in the undesirable neighborhoods in ANY town, you're most likely to get undesirable results. If you walk around with a chip on your shoulder, you're most likely going to get called on it. Good life leason for you: You get what you give.

I await your heated and insulting retort, with a smile on my face.

I do apologize to the rest of the posters here for temporarily stooping to ShoeBoxDiaries level ~ but sometimes a girl has to have a little fun.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Columns didn't align

Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Right Back View Post
Ok Shoe Box Diaries - You're a "spouter". Somewhere along the line, you picked up this attitude regarding, well, just about every place you have ever been. I have read back over all of your posts. Not only does trouble seem to follow you wherever you go (or more like you bring trouble with you everywhere you go), but you sound like a transient who can't hold a job, doesn't have his own place to live most of the time, and you are provoking (maybe you didn't get enough attention as a child or do you havce short mans syndrome?). If your posts here are any indication of your personality and nature, I'd say you pissed off the wrong people in all of these cities you seem to know so much about and they called your a$$ on it. Was that right of them? No. Did you deserve it? Probably.

As far as Redding vs. Medford, you are dead wrong. Just to set the record straight for the people on here actually looking for solid information, I suggest you check out this site before directing them to Redding. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

2005 Crime Stats
Medford Murders: 1
Rape: 40
Robberies: 76
Assaults: 352
Burglary: 806

Redding:
Murders: 2
Rape: 89
Robberies: 84
Assaults: 440
Burglary: 1057

Overall, the Medford crime stats website indicates that Medford crime levels are above the national average. The amount of crime for its population is too high; however, the numbers speak for themselves when comparing Redding to Medford - so don't.

I lived for 16 years solid in Medford Oregon and loved it. I got a good education, the outdoor experiences there are invaluable, the people help each other, and those who are willing to work their way up job-wise are making a more than decent living. I have family all over the Rogue Valley and am preparing to move back within the year. Does Southern Oregon have its problems? Yes. Are those problems different from most U.S. cities? No.

If you hang out in the undesirable neighborhoods in ANY town, you're most likely to get undesirable results. If you walk around with a chip on your shoulder, you're most likely going to get called on it. Good life leason for you: You get what you give.

I await your heated and insulting retort, with a smile on my face.

I do apologize to the rest of the posters here for temporarily stooping to ShoeBoxDiaries level ~ but sometimes a girl has to have a little fun.
I'm not a transient. I drive a truck for a living and my job allows me to move around frequently, which I enjoy. Your crime statics were taken from one site, mine were taken from another (this site, actually). The fact that they contradict each other is not my problem, I can only go off of my personal experiences and back them with information I have found and believe to be factual. And notice I was right about the pollution issue, but of course, that was overlooked

...short mans syndrome, how did you know?

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: no flames

Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 36,397 times
A truck driver? Really, because a post you wrote in August stated that you were in law enforcement... You're becoming more credible by the minute.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Right Back View Post
A truck driver? Really, because a post you wrote in August stated that you were in law enforcement... You're becoming more credible by the minute.
Although I'm a little concerned that you seem to be stalking me through my posts, I will explain that I worked as a security advisor for a company called Allied Security. My job included providing an appropriate amount of officers to each of the accounts I held, some of which worked in conjunction with tradtional law enforcement, as well as trying to establish new ones through the credibility of my previous accounts. It was equal part sales and LE. Anyway, I did this for about three years, and got so sick of being in the same place everyday that I decided I might quit. Through a friend, I found Schneider, an over the road trucking company offering 40k for the first year. I went to a truck driving school in redding, got my CDL, and never looked back. After getting offical, I left allied for good and started with Schneider. Since then, I've gotten to live (for a short time, of course) in several different places, see most of the west coast and mid west, and take a month off to spend with friends and family. My life is pretty good now, although I will conceed to you that I do complain alot, and get myself in the occasional trouble.

Do yourself a favor and get a life...

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-20-2007 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: trolling-calm down

Old 10-20-2007, 11:02 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
This thread has become off topic and is now locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon