Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree. I don't smoke it and don't really care if others do if regulated properly. The Washington law was well written and made better sense. Making 18 the legal age for staters was not too wise. I could not support that. Were I in Washington, I would have supported the measure, but I just could not support the Oregon measure.

And I also agree the Feds will be watching. Just what action they will take though, I couldn't predict. But my neighbor across the way better start be a bit more discreet in the upcoming days.
I think a lot of people would have support a measure similar to WA's. I expect a rewrite to happen for the next elections using WA and CO as examples. I think many people think it is a waste of money to incarcerate or have police spend time on people who smoke pot occasionally.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 AM

347 posts, read 669,642 times
I've always considered Washington to be slightly more liberal than Oregon. Granted both states usually go to Democrats but Washington usually goes a bit more.

Personally I've never understood why people who can't follow a simple instruction such as "don't smoke" garner so much sympathy from others. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong but you don't go to jail on the first offense unless you do something seriously stupid (like dealing or dui) or have a ridiculous amount of pot.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 AM

63 posts, read 80,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I would never call legalizing the doping of Americans progress. It's called dope for a reason.
Some but not all of us call it dope, I call it cannabis ... Alas, your chosen vernacular is only telling of your belief system, not the state of consciousness it elucidates.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Sorry Charlie, but Cannabis is dope. If it wasn't the doppers wouldn't crave it. You calling it something else is only telling of your belief system.

Doppers are still doppers, and dope is for dopes.

Well in your case Cannabis is your dope of choice, but it is still dope, and by passing this law you and others have now forced the feds to enforce the drug laws. And they will not be as gentile as the locals were.

Enjoy the attention.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
I've always considered Washington to be slightly more liberal than Oregon. Granted both states usually go to Democrats but Washington usually goes a bit more.

Personally I've never understood why people who can't follow a simple instruction such as "don't smoke" garner so much sympathy from others. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong but you don't go to jail on the first offense unless you do something seriously stupid (like dealing or dui) or have a ridiculous amount of pot.
Unless we all want to pay more in taxes it seems more fiscally responsible to let those who choose to smoke pot occasionally do so and not pay for the police officers time, judge's time, etc. I'd rather hire some more teachers for classrooms than spend those tax dollars on prosecuting a recreational pot user. It seems like a complete waste of money to me. It isn't sympathy. I'm a realist.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post

I have always thought this to be true. Oregon seems to have more of a reputation for being liberal but all things considered, I have always gotten the impression that Washington is just a little bit more liberal than Oregon.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
For those who say "lock em up, law is law", how do you feel about speeding laws? Should there be an attempt to ticket every speeder, from in state or out? I mean law is law. Most states I know, the government just isn't willing to put enough cars on every street, day in and day out, to insure every offender is punished. Kind of a funny view of law, pass it then stop short of making it mean what it says. Ultimately, Americans may talk like they want a police state but don't support everything necessary to bring it into being. Not enough puritans exist to finance such a blanket enforcement of the laws.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
I thought I had "freed the weed." Guess I didn't. Tried it a few times as a kid, and some hashish in Morocco and Denmark. Stuff makes me paranoid, but I really could enjoy a Hendrix song, so I see why musicians like it. Don't do it myself. I have never been very motivated to help out the potheads, but recently my tune has changed.

I have started seeing, reading about grow operations and booby-trapped plantations in our national parks and forests in Oregon and N. California. The Mexican mafia is very bad news. I would love to cut the legs out from under those criminals. I also think we need the revenue. Legalize it and tax it.

As for morality, I have never seen a pothead start a fight, but seen drunks fighting and puking many times. Alcohol is far worse, IMO, and I say that as a fairly heavy drinker. I consume far more of our beloved IPAs and craft beers than is healthy. I offer no defense of alcohol, a frighteningly dangerous and addictive drug, but I know that making it illegal did not work out so well.

So, I say free the weed. Unrope the dope. Give the grass a pass.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 AM

41 posts, read 119,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Unless we all want to pay more in taxes it seems more fiscally responsible to let those who choose to smoke pot occasionally do so and not pay for the police officers time, judge's time, etc. I'd rather hire some more teachers for classrooms than spend those tax dollars on prosecuting a recreational pot user. It seems like a complete waste of money to me. It isn't sympathy. I'm a realist.
Silverfall - You're making WAY too much sense here. Obviously, there is NO room for common sense on such a topic. Pickering... dope? Really? Are you serious in 2012?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:07 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Doppers are still doppers, and dope is for dopes.

Well in your case Cannabis is your dope of choice, but it is still dope, and by passing this law you and others have now forced the feds to enforce the drug laws. And they will not be as gentile as the locals were.
"Doppers?" As in Doppler radar? And what do Gentiles have to do with legalizing marijuana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have always thought this to be true. Oregon seems to have more of a reputation for being liberal but all things considered, I have always gotten the impression that Washington is just a little bit more liberal than Oregon.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon