U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM

42 posts, read 63,547 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Looked for a Portland vs Eugene thread, and couldn't find anything. If there is something, someone can just throw the link in here. Thanks!

If not, would like to know the differences between Portland + Eugene. I have family that lives in both of these cities, and I'm thinking of living in one of these places as of next year.

Disregarding jobs (I have a possibility of getting in with both of my family's businesses), could I have some comparisons between the two?

Rent cost (what you get for the $) [I'll be looking for a 1BR or studio]
Weather
Things to do
Artistic culture
Religious affiliations/how strong are the "religious" there (I live in NC now, and Baptists are very strong and shove it down your throat kind of thing)
Public transit
Bike-ability (I don't think that's a word - just looking for safety for cyclists)
Dog-friendliness (I have 2 - a Boxer and a Basenji mix)

And anything else you can think of.

Thank you!

Heather

Last edited by drzafi8v; 11-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Added dog friendly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 PM

10,889 posts, read 18,776,745 times
Eugene has a great bike trail networkm much better than Portland's.

Public transit in Eugene is OK, like Portland it depends on where you want to go.

Their performing arts facilities are excellent and often the same performance is significantly less expensive than in Portland.

I can't speak about apartments but the further you are from the U of O campus the less they will likely cost.

Dogs... depends on the landlord.

You will get the door bell ringing Jehovah Witnesses and LDS missionaries like almost everywhere else. With those exceptions it is rare that residents even mention their faith. Religion is considered a private matter.

Because employment evidently isn't a concern the only drawback of Eugene is that they don't have an international airport.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM

281 posts, read 653,297 times
Obviously, Eugene is much smaller and centers around the University of Oregon. Rent is cheaper here and there seems to be an overly optimistic apartment building boom fueled by growth at the UO, so I think rents will end up even less expensive.

The bike scene is also smaller but very strong. As mentioned, there are lots of trails and paths. It's consistently ranked among the top bike-friendly towns in the US.

Plenty of public transportation and lot's of dag parks too.

In the end, people I know who move down from Portland often say they didn't like the traffic and all the people up there, while people who move up there from Eugene often say they like having more interesting things to do, more culture and stuff . . .

Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 PM

10,889 posts, read 18,776,745 times
Check this out:

Eugene Art and Music Scene

Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,127,327 times
I ditto everything the above posters said. The only thing I might have to add - if you will be looking for nightlife or wanting some kind of a dating scene... you might have better luck in Portland? The single people I know here all seem to commiserate upon their opinions that if you aren't a U of O college kid or a gay person in Eugene, the dating scene here can be pretty disappointing.

I don't have any personal experience regarding that, but just thought I'd share what my single friends have shared with me.

Personally, we prefer Eugene. We think it's the perfect size and it has everything you need. It's beautiful, tons of outdoorsy things to do, plenty of shopping and places to eat, lots of arts and cultural activities to keep you entertained, plenty of classes to take, etc. We do worry that it's getting too big. There have been a lot of new developments (especially where we live in the northern part of Eugene) and traffic has been picking up. It's nothing compared to the other cities we've lived in, but we've lived in Eugene long enough to notice a real difference between now and how it was 8 or 9 years ago. (It's a good time to invest in real estate in Eugene if you can afford it.)

Going off your list:
Rent cost: EUG is about the same or less than PDX, but this also depends on what part of town you want to live in
Weather: Eugene weather is better than PDX, IMO...
Things to do: more to do in PDX, but plenty to do in EUG that you won't really need to go to PDX very often if at all
Artistic culture: both towns are very similar, probably more to do in PDX but same as above^^
Religious affiliations/how strong are the "religious" there: there's a definite "live and let live" mentality. I'm from Texas, and know what you're referring to - you don't get the "preachy vibe" from religious people here like we did when we lived in TX. Or at least we haven't. I got more of a "preachy vibe" from the Occupy Eugene people than we ever have any religious people here.
Public transit: I personally think Eugene's is better. Being a smaller town it's way easier to get around without a car. PDX - not so much. You pretty much need a car in Portland, unless you have a lot of time on your hands to sit around and wait or ride your bike all over the place - in the cold rain.
Bike-ability: If you live close to work or where you need to go, both towns would be the same. But personally I think Eugene is better: more bike trails as someone else mentioned, smaller town so it's not as far to travel from one side of town to the other, and Eugene is a bit flatter in most parts than PDX and flatter=easier to ride (exception: Eugene's South Hills)
Dog-friendliness: don't know about this with rgeards to PDX, but I know Eugene is a very dog-friendly town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon