U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,778 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 26 year old man looking to possibly relocate to coastal Oregon from Pittsburgh, PA. I know there is a similar post about someone moving from Pitt to Oregon, but I can assure you this is a seperate thread/person.

I'm looking to relocate to the beautiful Pacific North West. Kind of torn between Oregon and Washington, but I think I'm more interested in Oregon. I've known a handful of people that live up there and the pictures I've seen of the forests, mountains and especially the coast makes me dream of this place everyday.

I'm incredibly tired of this city, the people who live here, and I really just want to get away from it all and figure my life out. I own my own home and if I sell it, I'll be making 100% profit. I'm a professional audio engineer but I'm open to changing my lifestyle entirely. I'm capable of living a simple life, and to be honest, I've often thought about living in a coastal town and learning/working as a fisherman. I'm looking for a relaxing town. Quiet, beautiful, near the coast or on the coast. Something that is affordable (or comparible to Pittsburgh cost of living). Maybe a place with cafe's, a strip of unique stores/restaurants. Idk. I'm extremely laid back. I won't need to make much money to survive at first.

Also, it would be cool if there was a college or some sort of training center nearby. I'm considering even furthering my education in a different field if theres a place close by.

I've still alot to think about. It's something I'm only considering, but I'm really serious about it. I want to change my life so bad and try something new elsewhere.

Would anyone be able to suggest a town that may sound good for me? Some places I could check out/visit before I up and move? It's hard to zero in on a spot to research from across the US.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,793,834 times
Jobs on the Oregon (and Washington) coast are few and far between. Most rely on the Tourist Industry, many people are out of work during the Fall, Winter, and early Spring. The Oregon Fishing industry specifically has been hit very hard in the past few years, in some parts of Oregon it's totally shut down due to the "Dead Zone."

Several towns have small (very small,) community colleges that have limited training. Mostly GED preparedness classes, but some general education classes meant to continue on to a four year school.

On top of all that, COL on the Coast is inflated due to the number of people with vacation homes, and the distance from any transportation and shipping corridors. Most everyone on the coast lives within a few miles AT most of the coast due to the Coast Range. So this also pushes land values up as there is little buildable land.

Cafe's and "unique" shops/restaurants is hard to quantify. To my mind that doesn't really exist on the Oregon Coast, but cities like Astoria, Florence, Newport, Lincoln City, Bandon may all be what you're looking for.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM

2,492 posts, read 4,734,323 times
I think a visit would be a really good idea. Some time in the next 3-4 months, to see what the coast is like in winter. Definitely visit Newport and Astoria, maybe all the way up to Aberdeen, WA if you have time & inclination.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:37 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,079,256 times
For most things like this, a trade that allows you to set up a business is probably the best shot. Getting someone else to employ you is probably the worst shot. I think writers have a great advantage because it doesn't really matter where they live. And maybe craftspeople who can travel to craft fairs.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 AM

17,097 posts, read 20,876,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeaguy View Post
Hi,

I'm a 26 year old man looking to possibly relocate to coastal Oregon from Pittsburgh, PA. I know there is a similar post about someone moving from Pitt to Oregon, but I can assure you this is a seperate thread/person.

I'm looking to relocate to the beautiful Pacific North West. Kind of torn between Oregon and Washington, but I think I'm more interested in Oregon. I've known a handful of people that live up there and the pictures I've seen of the forests, mountains and especially the coast makes me dream of this place everyday.

I'm incredibly tired of this city, the people who live here, and I really just want to get away from it all and figure my life out. I own my own home and if I sell it, I'll be making 100% profit. I'm a professional audio engineer but I'm open to changing my lifestyle entirely. I'm capable of living a simple life, and to be honest, I've often thought about living in a coastal town and learning/working as a fisherman. I'm looking for a relaxing town. Quiet, beautiful, near the coast or on the coast. Something that is affordable (or comparible to Pittsburgh cost of living). Maybe a place with cafe's, a strip of unique stores/restaurants. Idk. I'm extremely laid back. I won't need to make much money to survive at first.

Also, it would be cool if there was a college or some sort of training center nearby. I'm considering even furthering my education in a different field if theres a place close by.

I've still alot to think about. It's something I'm only considering, but I'm really serious about it. I want to change my life so bad and try something new elsewhere.

Would anyone be able to suggest a town that may sound good for me? Some places I could check out/visit before I up and move? It's hard to zero in on a spot to research from across the US.

Thank you!
2012 Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery: Program Information

In some Oregon drainages (mostly Columbia River) the state will pay for Northern Pike Minnow (above 9") you catch. Some folks have made a living catching these fish, if you know how to fish them & are dedicated.

2012 Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery: Program Information

Last edited by Hawk J; 11-14-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM

30,177 posts, read 41,241,071 times
Most of the coastal cities have nice little restaurants and coffee shops. I doubt there are any jobs as a n audio engineer; probably would need to be in Portland for that (I'm guessing).

There is a good oceanographic center in Newport that is run by Oregon State University. I doubt that means much intellectual activities.

If you get about 10 miles inland houses will be cheaper, weather will be a lot better, you still have access to the beach with a short drive, and you escape some of the tourists.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,352,718 times
Coos Bay has a great Welding Program at SWOCC (Now SOCC).

Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,193,933 times
Clackamas Community College near Astoria has some pretty good programs, but you should expand your search to the Puget Sound in Washington. Many places have ferry access to Seattle/Tacoma with the huge job market there, and few areas in the world are as scenic as the Puget Sound.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,793,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Clackamas Community College near Astoria has some pretty good programs, but you should expand your search to the Puget Sound in Washington. Many places have ferry access to Seattle/Tacoma with the huge job market there, and few areas in the world are as scenic as the Puget Sound.
I think you meant Clatsop Community College there Clatsop Community College - School Overview - Cappex

Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 16,193,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I think you meant Clatsop Community College there Clatsop Community College - School Overview - Cappex
Yeah. Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon