Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 PM

65 posts, read 155,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
What you are seeing is one person's "reasonable," is another person's "trying to get around the rules."

I fully intend to comply with what I have to, this is why I am seeking a locale where there are as few things requiring compliance as possible.

If I intended to skirt the law I'd drop a trailer on it or buy something substandard shell and build the most amazing "root cellar" you have ever seen.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,131,024 times
You must really love that song - you've posted it twice.

You posed your question on a public internet forum. That comes with the assumption you'll receive a variety of opinions. Just because you're receiving some feedback with which you disagree, you're tossing out insults. If you don't want opinions that differ from your own, perhaps internet forums are not for you.

Perhaps the regulars on the Oregon relocation forum aren't preppers, etc. so can't relate to your concerns and interests. There may be other forums that are devoted to that point of view that may be divided into geographical regions. That may be a worthwhile strategy to get the specifics you're looking for. Either way, the insults are inappropriate.

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-20-2012 at 10:15 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 01:49 AM

197.493¹
Placement and occupancy of recreational vehicle
(1) A state agency or local government may not prohibit the placement or occupancy of a recreational vehicle, or impose any limit on the length of occupancy of a recreational vehicle, solely on the grounds that the occupancy is in a recreational vehicle

After a few more hours of research and inspirations from comments in this thread the easiest route is defiantly just park a cheap dilapidated trailer on the most secluded parcel I can and make ample use of the lenient restrictions on agricultural buildings.

Worst case scenario I can just Earth berm a Quonset hut as a storage hangar and build my house on a trailer with in it.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,870,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Give CEB a thought or two. I may lease my machine when I am through. It is a 2001 series.

Compressed Earth Block Machines - Advanced Earthen Construction Technologies
Neat idea and machine! Wish I could talk my other half into a project like this.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:16 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,458,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo11 View Post
197.493¹

After a few more hours of research and inspirations from comments in this thread the easiest route is defiantly just park a cheap dilapidated trailer on the most secluded parcel I can and make ample use of the lenient restrictions on agricultural buildings.

Worst case scenario I can just Earth berm a Quonset hut as a storage hangar and build my house on a trailer with in it.
And yet you seem to be mystified as to why anyone would be nervous about having you move next door.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,254,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Neat idea and machine! Wish I could talk my other half into a project like this.
We wanted to know how many blocks we needed so we made 4,000 salt and flour scale blocks with adobe color and built every detail in a 2 foot by 18 inch model. The machine is portable. Several local (Sunsites) buildings are made from CEB including the Library and Medical Clinic, The method can be used in any state. The soil composition is important.

There is a HAND Machine that is in the public domain and just requires labor and dirt. The designer has built entire villages with it, "One Block at a Time".

Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,870,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
We wanted to know how many blocks we needed so we made 4,000 salt and flour scale blocks with adobe color and built every detail in a 2 foot by 18 inch model. The machine is portable. Several local (Sunsites) buildings are made from CEB including the Library and Medical Clinic, The method can be used in any state. The soil composition is important.

There is a HAND Machine that is in the public domain and just requires labor and dirt. The designer has built entire villages with it, "One Block at a Time".
Sunsites? Hmmm, gotta look up where that is and maybe take the wife and puppy for a little drive and show here what "could" be!
Ok, just checked. Not so little a drive (3hrs 30 min) so maybe a weekend.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And yet you seem to be mystified as to why anyone would be nervous about having you move next door.
The point of moving to a point of rural seclusion behind 20 aces and a dirt road is there is no next door. What you should find mystifying is why such a course of action is the path of least resistance, I know I do.

Now which process respects my time, money and intrudes on my life the least?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,738,436 times
That isn't much of an example of anything except hyperbole. Temporary, pre-built structure versus permanent dwelling.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,571,590 times
20 acres is a pretty small lot in a rural area. You may have trouble getting a building permit on a parcel that small. Minimum size for a building permit in my neighborhood is 160 acres, though 80 acre parcels are possible with a little work. You will find your neighbors less than welcoming as you try to build something that is little more than an unlicensed landfill.

If you get engineered plans, there is no possibility of the structural design being rejected, though that root cellar in the picture obviously is not fit for human habitation. For that matter, neither is the travel trailer for several days a year, as everything freezes up. If you build you have to meet basic fire and life safety codes, including seismic and sanitary codes. You may think you are just going to use a composting toilet, but that doesn't mean you don't need a kitchen sink with a washable surface, a separate bathroom sink, and shower minimum for personal hygiene. You can use a gray water system for the shower and laundry, but you have to have a septic system for food scraps, and it's going to be sized according to the number of bedrooms, so you don't gain anything by shoveling your personal manure.

You would do better to go to a state with no building codes or land use planning, like South Dakota.

If you want to know how to do things right, quit thinking up ways to do things wrong and follow the example of someone with style and intelligence.

DorothyAinsworth.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon