U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 28,542 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about purchasing a home in Oregon City. What is everyone's opinion of there? I've heard both good and bad (the bad being there is a high rate of drugs there). We would be on the edge near Beavercreek and our kids would actually go to Canby schools.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 03:06 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,852,810 times
I went to Canby High School. Oregon City is okay, I find it kind of a mishmash development-wise. It's grown too fast for infrastructure improvements, but then that's typical throughout the country. I don't know about the drug situation there. I haven't heard anything. OC is full of yuppies so I would think that the drug problem is probably not as bad as some of the lower income communities.

Beavercreek is nice because it's out in the country and absolutely gorgeous out there. Canby schools are among the best in the state. The people in the district always support the schools and rarely have trouble passing bond levies. Educational instruction is excellent. You might want to consider living in Canby; it's a wonderful little town.

You don't say if you're from out of state. If so, welcome to Oregon!!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 PM

2,092 posts, read 8,645,506 times
my opinion, if you can, do it. We used to live out towards the end of Beavercreek, in Mulino. And it was just wonderful. I loved the area. Beautiful no matter what the weather. And most of the people, are incredibly friendly. In the "town" of Beavercreek, right next to the little general store, and across the road, there is a large box, several feet sq. and deep. In season, its full of corn, and you pick out how much you wnt, and put your $$ in the little wooden lock box next to it. How cool is that? If you continue up Beavercreek, there is a feed/staples store called Petersons. Go there, order a sandwhich. They are WONDERFUL!! And once youre known as a local, they will add and add and add onto it. I used to pay a couple of bucks for a sandwhich that after squashing down, i still couldnt fit in my mouth. And only 1/2 was a meal. Good pizza too. If you go up a couple more miles, you will come to a 4way intersection Beavercreek/Windy City Road. Go right. On your left, is the BEST elementry school Ive ever had the joy of being a part of. Keep going up, you'll pass Gard Rd. if you go left, i used to live at the end of it. - go up about 2 miles and you will find a most wonderful cut your own Christmas tree farm. Great place to go get a tree, and if you have kids, they will just love it. Mine did every year. Great family outing. ---------- anyhow, thats why I say, if you can, do it. Scenery/people/everything is wonderful. BCT cable/phone, interesting I will say.lol but hey, its a co-op so youll get a check too. lol
Good luck!!
TIffany

Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM

268 posts, read 1,139,590 times
Default I'm interested, too!

I'm trying to find out about Oregon City as well...also looking at Canby, West Linn and Wilsonville...
Anyone with info about that area???? Very much appreciated!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM

148 posts, read 206,191 times
Oregon City is a great town with a lot of Capital Improvement projects underway to beautify the City and improve infrastructure. As for drugs in Oregon City, there is nothing more than any other suburb in the Portland area, but far less than Portland. I don't know who told you there is a drug problem there, but it is simply not true.

A lot of new subdivions are being built and there are still the turn of the century homes in the older part of town, and everything inbetween. It is quiet, and borders rural areas, but is on the southern tip of the Urban Growth Boundary which allows malls, shopping, and restaurants within a short drive.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsailor View Post
Oregon City is a great town with a lot of Capital Improvement projects underway to beautify the City and improve infrastructure. As for drugs in Oregon City, there is nothing more than any other suburb in the Portland area, but far less than Portland. I don't know who told you there is a drug problem there, but it is simply not true.

A lot of new subdivions are being built and there are still the turn of the century homes in the older part of town, and everything inbetween. It is quiet, and borders rural areas, but is on the southern tip of the Urban Growth Boundary which allows malls, shopping, and restaurants within a short drive.
It really sounds pretty ideal! Just wish the homes in your area were more reasonable!! In the midwest you can get huge mansions for what you get for 1600 sf there!
We're seriously considering that area...Know anything about West Linn/Wilsonville or Canby??

Old 12-18-2006, 06:47 PM

West Linn = rich keeping up with the Jones'. REALLY expensive houses!!!

Wilsonville = Borders agriculture land, pretty flat, a lot of new subdivisions, but as far south as you can get in the metro area. Would not want to commute to Portland. I-5 goes through it, so lots of traffic in that area.

Canby= Small town of about 14,000 with lots of agriculture land surrounding it. Not part of the Portland metro area, about 7 miles south of Oregon City. Would not be my first choice, but ok if you like to live away from the City, but still have some civilized stores.

What exactly are you looking for in a place?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Thanks for your response!

Quote:
West Linn = rich keeping up with the Jones'. REALLY expensive houses!!!

Wilsonville = Borders agriculture land, pretty flat, a lot of new subdivisions, but as far south as you can get in the metro area. Would not want to commute to Portland. I-5 goes through it, so lots of traffic in that area.

Canby= Small town of about 14,000 with lots of agriculture land surrounding it. Not part of the Portland metro area, about 7 miles south of Oregon City. Would not be my first choice, but ok if you like to live away from the City, but still have some civilized stores.

What exactly are you looking for in a place?
Thanks for your input! We're actually looking for a community outside of Portland proper but that is safe, clean, family oriented and inclusive for our son with a fairly easy commute to Lake Oswego. I looked at West Linn homes and we could get a very small old house or townhouse! lol!! Ideally it would be great to be able to walk to stores/restaurants etc but not be in a congested spot. Know any place such as this????

Old 12-18-2006, 11:55 PM

You might want to look at Gladstone, Oak Grove, Oregon City, Tualatin, or Willamette (old West Linn area), Wilsonville, or Sherwood.

To look at house prices, go to www.rmls.com or www.oregonian.com or http://portland.craigslist.org/rfs/ (broken link)

I have heard that Gladstone schools are really good.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You might want to look at Gladstone, Oak Grove, Oregon City, Tualatin, or Willamette (old West Linn area), Wilsonville, or Sherwood.

To look at house prices, go to www.rmls.com or www.oregonian.com or http://portland.craigslist.org/rfs/ (broken link)

I have heard that Gladstone schools are really good.
Thanks! My husband is staying in Lake Oswego right now and has checked out Wilsonville and that area and says that the places you mention all seem fine so perhaps we'll end up in one of those areas!! REALLY appreciate your insider viewpoint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon