Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Who knows if Oregon is Christian or non-Christian? I don't. Nobody cares. Your religion is your business, not mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
^^^This pretty much sums up the Oregon attitude regarding religion. The whole mid-west is very Lutheran/Christian denomination based. There are so many Christians, buddhists, agnostics, atheists, etc here that I have found people are generally quite accepting of religious or non-religious beliefs. There are exceptions, but if you say you are an atheist here, most people won't bat an eye.
lol, thanks for the clarification. I personally like this attitude more then the mid-west, but if you spent much time in the mid-west you would understand why I would have to ask this question. Being an atheist here in Kansas is very much taboo and is one of the reasons living here has become uncomfortable for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
One last question that I can think of, I've heard Corvallis and Oregon both are non-Christian compared to other states. I'm personally an atheist and my wife is a nonreligious Christian, but I've always heard there are many hippies and alternative religions present. I've never really met any hippies or people of other religions personally, but would consider myself culturally Christian as that is the environment I grew up in. Are these groups dominant or open to outsiders. I'm just not really sure what to expect culturally. Me and my wife are planning a visit in a few months and would like to know what to expect.
Depending on the survey and year, the following is distinctly possible:

Oregon as a contender for the least religious state (it'll always be in the top 5 or 10 for sure)
Benton as the least religious county in Oregon
Corvallis as the least religious city in the county (well, really, it's the only 'city').

Nobody cares about your religion. My entire family is agnostic. I think I can count on two hands the number of times I went to any church, including weddings, before I was 18. It doesn't bat an eyelash in Oregon the way it does in the South.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 772 times
I know exactly what you mean about bible country. I live out in SD currently, and it seems religion dominates! I am not religious myself, so of course when people start talking about it, my skin starts to crawl.. lol I am like you in a way, I am getting ready to transplant me and my business to Corvallis. Dont worry, I own a sign and decal shop. When are you making your move?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Depending on the survey and year, the following is distinctly possible:

Oregon as a contender for the least religious state (it'll always be in the top 5 or 10 for sure)
Benton as the least religious county in Oregon
Corvallis as the least religious city in the county (well, really, it's the only 'city').
Have a link? I find none of your statistics to be based in any fact.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Ranking Oregon against the rest of the country:

Mississippi Is Most Religious U.S. State (From Gallup)

How Religious Is Your State? - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life (From Pew)

The thing about Benton is here, although following the link to the Corvallis paper 404s.

Religion in Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM
QFT

4 posts, read 11,235 times
Corvallis is a lovely town filled with college students. For that reason it can be very difficult to get any type of work that a college student can do. In addition there aren't a lot of big lawns that need maintaining. The streets are small and housing is tightly packed. Once you get beyond the older houses with tiny front lawns then you get to the big apartment buildings with no lawns. Beyond those are farm land. Real farm land not housing developments.

So.... I think you might want to set your sights elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon