Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these ethnicities do you associate most with Oregon culture?
German/Austrian 7 21.88%
English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh 15 46.88%
Norwegian/Swedish/Danish/Icelandic/Finnish 6 18.75%
First Nations/Indigenous 3 9.38%
Mexican 0 0%
Chinese/Japanese/Korean 0 0%
Black 1 3.13%
Eastern European 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,216 times

Advertisements

I think Oregon feels like a pretty even mix of Anglo-Celtic, German and Scandinavian. Hispanics form a significant portion of the population but I don't feel like they really 'define' the culture of the state though of course they do form a part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
My impression is that it is largely the white, northern European mix of English, German, Scots-Irish, and Irish. With all the intermarriage, those have all more or less merged. People seem surprisingly pasty here, but maybe it is the weather too. We have a few French-Canadian, Jewish, blacks, asians, and a rapidly growing hispanic population. The character seems pretty English-German in the northwest and eastern parts of the state, and Scots-Irish in the smaller logging towns and much of Southwest Oregon (folks came out from the South to work in the woods). I think the Scandinavian influence is smaller here than in Washington state, and it probably centered in the NW part of the state.

There are several native tribes scattered around the state (Umatilla, Grande Ronde, Nez Perce, Klamath, etc.) There is a little island of Irish in the south central part of the state, centered on Lakeview.

Ashland and Bend are largely recent Californian and east coast transplants of the "N. European mix" variety. Though there seem to be a few more Jewish, Italian, and mixed race people among the new immigrants.

http://names.mongabay.com/ancestry/Oregon.html

This site suggests that German is largest single group, but if you add English, Irish, and "American" (descendants of the old Scots-Irish immigrants who hate the English and Irish in similar measures..) you get about 30% from the British Isles.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Mid-Western

Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,435,602 times
...American?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Where I grew up in the Midwest, people were very conscious of the exact countries in northern Europe that their ancestors came from. You weren't just "Scandinavian-American," you were Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Finnish, or combinations thereof.

When I moved out West, I was just "white." I think a lot of westerners see it that way. With the face of immigration having changed from primarily European origin to primarily Asian and Latin American, the minor distinctions of Caucasian ethnicity have faded. The old paradigm of keeping track of 19th century Euro-national bloodlines..."I'm half Irish, one-quarter Swedish, one-eighth German, and one-eight Polish"...is from a bygone era. In today's realities if you're white, you're just white.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Where I grew up in the Midwest, people were very conscious of the exact countries in northern Europe that their ancestors came from. You weren't just "Scandinavian-American," you were Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Finnish, or combinations thereof.

When I moved out West, I was just "white." I think a lot of westerners see it that way. With the face of immigration having changed from primarily European origin to primarily Asian and Latin American, the minor distinctions of Caucasian ethnicity have faded. The old paradigm of keeping track of 19th century Euro-national bloodlines..."I'm half Irish, one-quarter Swedish, one-eighth German, and one-eight Polish"...is from a bygone era. In today's realities if you're white, you're just white.
Interesting. I've always thought of myself as more English, Irish and Welsh than simply being 'white'. I don't think of all whites from Ireland to Poland as a homogenous block.

Would you say Russian identity is still considered distinct from 'generic white' in the West?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Yea, we make something of a big deal about it in our family because my wife is 100% Rhode Island Irish Catholic. It does not hurt that the Irish are born raconteurs and shameless self-promoters (who ever heard of "Kiss me I am German!" ). Her family's surnames come from the extreme north and south of Ireland. I am the opposite. German surname, but complete mixture (English, Dutch, French, Scots-Irish, Irish,etc.). My Grandmother, adopted in the Midwest, is rumored to be half Native American. I think that is true. She was short, smart, merry, and plump. I keep track for my son, as I know he is at least 55% Irish. But it is largely for conversational purposes. I suspect the German, English, French, Dutch, Scots-Irish, and Native American (Souix?) branches of the family have great stories too, but they are lost to history at this point.

For the asians and hispanics, their appearance, language, and culture set them apart, but that is lost for the N. European groups.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yea, we make something of a big deal about it in our family because my wife is 100% Rhode Island Irish Catholic. It does not hurt that the Irish are born raconteurs and shameless self-promoters (who ever heard of "Kiss me I am German!" ). Her family's surnames come from the extreme north and south of Ireland. I am the opposite. German surname, but complete mixture (English, Dutch, French, Scots-Irish, Irish,etc.). My Grandmother, adopted in the Midwest, is rumored to be half Native American. I think that is true. She was short, smart, merry, and plump. I keep track for my son, as I know he is at least 55% Irish. But it is largely for conversational purposes. I suspect the German, English, French, Dutch, Scots-Irish, and Native American (Souix?) branches of the family have great stories too, but they are lost to history at this point.

For the asians and hispanics, their appearance, language, and culture set them apart, but that is lost for the N. European groups.
I was born in California but my ancestors came from the north of Ireland and south and middle of England mostly. There's a bit of Welsh and probably a bit of Scots-Irish (a mix of Scottish and Geordie more or less) in there as well.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Interesting. I've always thought of myself as more English, Irish and Welsh than simply being 'white'. I don't think of all whites from Ireland to Poland as a homogenous block.
I would guess that you're over the age of 50, then.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I would guess that you're over the age of 50, then.
Nope, I'm 23 next month. I just have a sense of place and history.

Seriously though, I find this whole concept of "whiteness" annoying. Like people from Iceland to Russia, from Italy to Finland, are somehow basically all the same. Nonsense, I say! Not to mention if I identify as white I have to carry the burden of "privilege" while if I identity with the Irish side of my past, I don't have so much "guilt" on my shoulders because there was a time Irish people were treated pretty badly, probably a lot worse than Hispanics are today and not much better than blacks were 50 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon