Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 26,024 times

Advertisements

Brookings is fine & well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM

400 posts, read 414,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingRT View Post
Any of the coastal areas is not good for any healthcare worker, especially Gold Beach. Curry General has been through several CEO's and now finally has a CFO/COO in place, the plan for the next 5yrs is to hire a Hospitalist, build a new hospital(with what money and resources) also this hospital runs in the red. The nursing staff are mostly new grads with no real hospital experience they come here due to the fact no larger hospital in Portland/Seattle will hire a new grad.
And to warn all about the Cal/Or EMS Paramedics are dangerous , the amount of deaths I have seen in the past 3mo due to negligence is astounding. The overall experience and dealing with many in this little town is not worth your life and your kids educations. The overall in-bread residents (this comes from very viable sources) and the large amount of and Curry county being the highest number of suicides vs other counties.
The housing prices ie 1400 sq ft home 249,000 and food prices are just as bad with only having the same 2 grocery stores of which they price gouge you.
The beach is not exactly nice and the weather is decent some of the time but the wind is constant along with high humidity that no matter will rust everything in time, even aluminum. The town dies off in October when the weather changes to grey and cloudy with nothing to do and no real restaurants. The food is average but to the permanent residents that have lived here basically forever its good to them but then they are mostly high school only or ged.

My advice is stay away from any Oregon coastal town. They are all the same and full of the same type of residents being snowbirds,retired or methheads seeking a place to hide. As known by why they call Medford== Methford

I hope this was a typo. Surely medical professionals know how to spell.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:47 AM

22 posts, read 29,436 times
I was curious about the topic at that really wasn't addressed, nor were things fully explained. So, I'm in CA and I thought Harbor was a town. So, if Harbor's not a town, what do you put on snail mail, Brookings or Harbor, or something else? Pretty sad commentary if they don have much medical where there's a retirement community. What do you mean by retirement amenities then; book stores, coffee shops, rock concerts, farmer's market, cool weather, people without their face in a cell phone,....??? That sounds great. Nature, inexpensive housing? I'm a planner looking at where I would like to be and throwing darts for the best habitat. The CA bay area's tech urban sprawl is suffocating and loud. So for the original poster nurses would be in demand. BTW, retirement doesn't mean dead.just choosing to be done with a particular game after contributing considerable time and choosing the next adventures. So, you're saying there isn't even anything in Crescent City for healthcare? No urgent care? Geeze, in CA for a college class you get free flu shots. What do you mean about Curry County and what are the ramifications? What about the tsunami thing? I was kind of wanting/hoping some proximity to redwoods. I can't get over the ageist perception, treatment, and consideration... More info. please.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Harbor is an unincorporated area, not an actual city. All of the towns in that string, from Gold Beach on down, are tiny, with populations in the 2,500 and (well) below range. There are no large towns on or really even near the coast (Coos Bay or Newport are the largest cities, below 20,000). There is SOME medical service, including urgent care, but the point is that it's limited and life flights out to larger hospitals are common for anything really serious.

Amenities are very limited - you seem to be picturing a vibrant community full of interesting things to do and that is not really the coast. You make your own things to do there. There is a summer farmer's market in Brookings and a few craft/art fairs, but they aren't large and they are more fun and funky than sophisticated. Music is extremely limited.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Harbor is an unincorporated area, not an actual city. All of the towns in that string, from Gold Beach on down, are tiny, with populations in the 2,500 and (well) below range. There are no large towns on or really even near the coast (Coos Bay or Newport are the largest cities, below 20,000). There is SOME medical service, including urgent care, but the point is that it's limited and life flights out to larger hospitals are common for anything really serious.

Amenities are very limited - you seem to be picturing a vibrant community full of interesting things to do and that is not really the coast. You make your own things to do there. There is a summer farmer's market in Brookings and a few craft/art fairs, but they aren't large and they are more fun and funky than sophisticated. Music is extremely limited.
Valuable counsel... thank you, PNW.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:

Lack of music is not my impression of the coast. Musicians don't have anything to do in the winter but practice, so any venue will present amateur groups as good as any professional group you will find. No bling, fireworks or light displays, just really fine music. You can always find someone to play with. I have a friend who just shipped me a CD of his local Brookings act. It's pretty good.

There is also a local theater group, and a community botanical garden in Brookings. If your culture is all consumer level, Brookings won't be much. There isn't much there for anyone with an IQ between 90 and 110, unless you like fishing. Middle America should move elsewhere.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Another example of "poverty with a view?" (But, wow, what a view! That S OR coastline is magnificent)

Old 06-14-2017, 12:21 PM

731 posts, read 678,427 times
It has been my observation that medical care on the coast is similar to that of darkest Africa. People have surgery and no post op physical therapy is arranged. Tumors grow larger and larger and no one seems to know what the biopsy results were. Abnormal labs are not called in and so called home health workers are fired one after another for shoddy care and theft. Folks on south coast have to go to California for dialysis treatments. Yes they have a new hospital in Gold Beach but it is just a landing spot for helicopters that fly to Portland hospitals if you are really sick or injured. If you need or will need care I would advise do not move to the coast.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
It has been my observation that medical care on the coast is similar to that of darkest Africa. People have surgery and no post op physical therapy is arranged. Tumors grow larger and larger and no one seems to know what the biopsy results were. Abnormal labs are not called in and so called home health workers are fired one after another for shoddy care and theft. Folks on south coast have to go to California for dialysis treatments. Yes they have a new hospital in Gold Beach but it is just a landing spot for helicopters that fly to Portland hospitals if you are really sick or injured. If you need or will need care I would advise do not move to the coast.
"Need or will need care?" That includes just about all of us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon