U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,033,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
While there are some very Republican-leaning counties, the rest of Oregon, outside the big cities, is still very mixed, and not as conservative as many people like to think.
A good point. Romney got 52% or less of the vote in seven of those "red" counties. If you cast a winner-take-all view of county makeup, that makes them look red, but it doesn't really work that way, so it's a misleading metric. The issue of "swing counties," therefore, swings both ways. In a one-person-one-vote reckoning, Romney only mustered 42.7% of the popular vote statewide last Nov. He did much better than that in other putative swing states.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,732,294 times
If the Tea Party Republicans try to dictate the next candidate after Romney lost, I think "swing states" will swing away, not toward, their candidate. Even Karl Rove didn't think their favorite candidates had a chance of winning.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM

15,296 posts, read 14,796,899 times
I think Oregon was solidly for Nixon's second term.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM

735 posts, read 531,155 times
I predict the redneck hillbillys will continue to be out voted.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 AM

256 posts, read 485,924 times
Very interesting forum. I think it will be swing because unless the GOP is on drugs they will elect a Huntsman or Christie type of person. I think unless the coast economy rebounds Lincoln and Tillamook I think go to the GOP. Also Wasco is close county. In 2012 Romney campaign was a total failure. Someone like Christie and Huntsman if they run a good campaign should take those counties. Also Benton MIGHT be semi competitive.

Fun forum thanks for posting

Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM

2,300 posts, read 4,125,715 times
I would consider voting for Arnold Vinick, if he ever decides to run again. Arnold Vinick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,226,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Please don't be that way. Some of them are in my family. And are the reason why we don't discuss politics around the dinner table.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,688,794 times
I think that in-state elections could swing one way or the other, depending on candidate - because any single candidate might not be a "100% my-party-always" person. (Not that I can think of any at the moment, but I allow for some hypothetical future candidate.)

On the national level, it is much harder for a candidate to escape the gravitational pull of his/her party. Look at John McCain, for instance. A lot of his positions changed - and fairly drastically - between 2000 and his failed run in 2008 - with his positions in 2008 being MUCH more closely aligned with his party's popular platform. ( Political positions of John McCain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). To be elected, you need the support of a party, and it is not in the interests of the party to nominate someone who is considered a "maverick."

Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,796,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Historically, some of Oregon's most highly regarded governors were Republicans (Atiyeh, McCall), and the last legislature did an excellent job even though the House was evenly split between R and D. Nationally, the Republicans may reclaim their party from the extremists and become more populist. For that matter, a complete collapse of the monetary system is possible, which would shove the Democrats totally out of power.

In my lifetime, the state has voted for Nixon and Reagan for president. In recent years our senators have been split, one Republican and one Democrat.

As an independent voter who votes issues instead of ideologies, I think characterizing Republicans as "redneck hillbillys" is no more accurate than characterizing Democrats as "food stamp druggies." My father-in-law was an attorney. He used to say, "When the law is on your side, argue the law. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When neither one is on your side, call the other guy a liar and start a fight." I'd like to see less name calling and more reality in politics.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM

9,965 posts, read 15,645,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
Very interesting forum. I think it will be swing because unless the GOP is on drugs they will elect a Huntsman or Christie type of person. I think unless the coast economy rebounds Lincoln and Tillamook I think go to the GOP. Also Wasco is close county. In 2012 Romney campaign was a total failure. Someone like Christie and Huntsman if they run a good campaign should take those counties. Also Benton MIGHT be semi competitive.

Fun forum thanks for posting
Yeah, basically you have Portland and Eugene which are very liberal, you have Eastern Oregon and most of Southern Oregon that are very conservative--but then you have the middle-class suburbs of Portland full of a good number of Republicans and Democrats in Clackamas and Washington counties along with a similar mix in Salem and maybe Corvallis. Plus while some coastal counties have trended Democrat lately some of them could go either way in the future. But all in all, you've got to be competitive in getting votes from the big counties to really have a chance in Oregon. A moderate Republican like Christie still probably wouldn't get that many votes in Portland or Eugene, but could pick up votes in Clackamas or Washington or Yamhill Counties or the Salem area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I think that in-state elections could swing one way or the other, depending on candidate - because any single candidate might not be a "100% my-party-always" person. (Not that I can think of any at the moment, but I allow for some hypothetical future candidate.)

On the national level, it is much harder for a candidate to escape the gravitational pull of his/her party. Look at John McCain, for instance. A lot of his positions changed - and fairly drastically - between 2000 and his failed run in 2008 - with his positions in 2008 being MUCH more closely aligned with his party's popular platform. ( Political positions of John McCain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). To be elected, you need the support of a party, and it is not in the interests of the party to nominate someone who is considered a "maverick."
I think you're right on that level. I could see a moderate Republican winning the race for governor in this state, but the national GOP has swung out of favor with a lot of voters that in the past could possibly trend one way or the other.

Also, I'd like to say that it's nice to actually have a friendly and objective discussion about politics on CityData for once and not have this devolve into the usual namecalling and scapecoating that's common on some other forums(the politics and controversies board for example). Nice to keep it fairly classy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon