Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM

19 posts, read 87,284 times

Advertisements

I am a single woman living on the southern Oregon coast, looking to relocate, preferably, on the Oregon coast. The community in which I live leans toward conservatism with regard to the minute gay/lesbian segment of the population. Gatherings of gays are done in a clandestine manner. I'm looking for a town that does not take the "Don't ask, don't tell" stance that seems to prevail here.

I've taken a couple of weekend trips to Newport and I like the atmosphere and the friendly demeanor of the people I encountered. Want to get the skinny from someone who has lived in this area for at least a couple of years.

Guess I want to have my cake and eat it, too. Of most of the areas that I've lived, there's been some kind of an appeal for me and to combine these features would be like paradise. Ideally, I'd like a small town atmosphere; people who strike up conversation with strangers while standing in line at the grocery store, get togethers with friends/neighbors to throw something on the BBQ, that kind of thing. I have two large dogs who live (yes, live) to romp on the beach, unfettered by a leash. They are loving and well behaved so I can only hope that there wouldn't be any hassle there. I appreciate an area that has venues that offer live muscial entertainment. Jazz, R&B, and soul are my favorite genre.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I eagerly await a response from anyone with any related information.

Thanks,
DS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
Gays and lesbians seem to have no trouble in Newport. In fact, it seems like a bit of a haven for that community. However, Newport is small, and the number of entertainment venues of ANY sort is limited. Also, from what I've seen, the GLBT folks in Newport tend to be a bit on the older side... not all of them, but if you are younger than 35, it might not be what you are looking for.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:35 AM

19 posts, read 87,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Gays and lesbians seem to have no trouble in Newport. In fact, it seems like a bit of a haven for that community. However, Newport is small, and the number of entertainment venues of ANY sort is limited. Also, from what I've seen, the GLBT folks in Newport tend to be a bit on the older side... not all of them, but if you are younger than 35, it might not be what you are looking for.
Thanks, tablemtn! I've been on the other side of 35 for quite a few years so that's not a problem. Guess what I really want to know is if the GLBTs are openly gay, not by way of 'banner waving', but is there a sense in the community that everyone would be more comfortable if the GLBTs stayed 'in the closet'? As far as the music scene goes, I imagine anything more than what our sleepy little town has to offer would be an improvement. If you've ever stayed over in Brookings, you'll know what I mean.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,544 times
Hi, just came upon your post.

I had a beach house in Newport for a couple of years. Actually lived there full time for about 9 months.

I think g/l's are pretty much part of the fabric of the community there. Just didn't seem to matter.

There are a few little towns inland that I have doubts about re: live and let live. I don't mean to bad mouth these towns, but would want a warning if I were in your shoes. Specifically, Toledo...about 30 minutes inland. I had some wierd experiences there. This was about 10 years ago....so maybe it is not so bad or maybe I am off base. My 2 cents is that it is kind of a backwater and the vibe is not so good if you are different.

I had gay friends that lived in Newport and really liked it. Myself, I'm not a small town type and it wasn't a good fit. But the beaches are INCREDIBLE!!!! Your dogs will flip! You can walk for miles and not see another soul....Just peaceful crashing waves and sea birds.

Check out agate beach....it is fun to look for agates.

I think the wine/beer festival is pretty big still. Have you tried it?

Good luck. I think you might like it in Newport.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 14,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Hi, just came upon your post.

There are a few little towns inland that I have doubts about re: live and let live. I don't mean to bad mouth these towns, but would want a warning if I were in your shoes. Specifically, Toledo...about 30 minutes inland. I had some wierd experiences there. This was about 10 years ago....so maybe it is not so bad or maybe I am off base. My 2 cents is that it is kind of a backwater and the vibe is not so good if you are different.
Your gut feelings are dead on about those inland cities of Toledo and Siletz because they are the proverbial boonies filled with confederate flag toting, muddy truck driving rednecks. Those salt of the Earth people don't buy for a second the Homosexual Agenda. The only reason homosexuals can feel relatively comfortable in Newport is because the politics play towards an open atmosphere to encourage growth of their number one business: TOURISM. The great thing about Newport is that nobody is running around asking questions but if you wanted to glorify your deviant lifestyle you would get this reaction from the residents ---> and then you would be subject to whatever from those boys in the inland cities. I was born and raised in Lincoln City and have lived in Waldport, Siletz and Newport in the past five years and have family that has lived in the vicinity for the last 10 years.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,319 times
I grew up at the coast in lincoln city which was just 1/2 hour from newport, spent alot of my time in newport as well. I am married happily to a man for over 20 years now in which i met in lincoln city back in my high school days, We now live up in Portland oregon, but I am Bi-curiouse and I find it very interesting to hear that town so close to my old stomping grounds is actually bi/gay/lesbian friendly, I never had that impression as i was growing up , wondering now maybe how many people i knew as i was growing up may be in the same boat as myself, being "married yet slightly bi curiouse??" sure is a scary new feeling to me, kinda ashamed yet the more i read and hear, im finding that this is normal to feel this way, im hoping to find maybe some old friends or new friends who can talk to me and help me to accept the fact of me feeling this curiosity.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
I think more and more of the central Oregon coast is becoming indifferent to gays. I wouldn't lose any sleep over moving there.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
I know a lesbian couple who recently moved to Newport. As far as I know, they're doing fine.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 PM

32 posts, read 139,571 times
Yachats!

Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,264 times
Nearly 8 years have gone by since the last posting. We are a gay couple ready to retire and were thinking of Newport. We currently live in california and would like to enjoy looking at the ocean for the rest of our days. I am hoping for an update to this thread. From what I have read it may not be a welcoming place to be. Sad, as a disabled combat veteran I was hoping that my sacrifice would help create a more perfect country that would look beyond color or orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon