Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:24 PM

11 posts, read 35,183 times

Advertisements

We love Albany! We moved here sight unseen from Hawaii when hubby transferred with his job. I can't imagine living anywhere else right now. Albany is an easy city to get around in, lots of activities for both young and retirees and there's no traffic! Easy access to the city, coast and mountains all only an hour away. If we're bored, we just hop in our car and explore another town! Everyone that's visited us from Hawaii has had such wonderful comments on our city and we've had several return. They especially love the historic homes here. I had friends making me stop the car to take photos of houses! Albany people have been very friendly, although occasionally I get mistaken for being Hispanic and people try to speak Spanish to me (nope, speak any Hawaiian?!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:39 AM

103 posts, read 261,474 times
We are retired and thinking of Hawaii. We live in Salem and are just wanting to do something different. I have to say that for younger people there are plenty of jobs with the State of Oregon. You can move up the ladder if you want to succeed. Cost of living is pretty decent here.
I think I want to keep a small home here due to family in the area and a small tent (just kidding) in Hawaii where I also have family. Me, hapa.....
Realtors are saying that prices are still going up here, not a huge amount, but some - at least last month.
Another place I like is Napa, but it seems people on this board have moved away from there.....I wonder why?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,203 times
Bend is expensive.

I recommend Eugene. University of Oregon. Lane Community College, Hult Center for the performing arts. Brand new regional hospital in next door Springfield. Brand new hospital site being searched for in Eugene. One hour to the coast. One hour to the Cascade mountains. Good pubic schools. Numerous small communities surround Eugene. Plenty of horse properties to choose from.

Vince

Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 48,327 times
Where would I find pictures of Willamette Valley? We have horses, and are tired of the cold...but we would like to see moutains or foothills.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_tnt View Post
Where would I find pictures of Willamette Valley? We have horses, and are tired of the cold...but we would like to see moutains or foothills.

If you go to Google, click on Images, then do a search of Willamette Valley, you'll find loads of photos. If you're looking for a more specific location in the Willamette Valley, enter that instead and you should find related images and photos.

Also, there's a thread here (in the Eugene board) with some photos of Eugene.
//www.city-data.com/forum/eugen...pics-here.html

Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Albany?!? I mean no disrespect to anyone who lives there, I know some very nice people that do, but... ... Canby, that's my recommendation.

H

Old 06-25-2008, 11:23 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1996 View Post
Michael, It's so nice to hear from someone who actually lives in Ashland. I've been asking on these forums for months for feedback from residents of Ashland, and only hear from non-residents complaining about the high price of Ashland. I, too, have lived in Lake Tahoe, Napa, unfortunately not Maui, which I love (Do you know Barry Flanagan with Hapa), and will be moving to Ashland hopefully this Spring. So, what do you like and NOT like about Ashland. How did you land there. I know about the arts, the scenery, the walking trails, the restaurants, etc. I fell in love with the place the 1st time I saw it, and I found the people unbelievably friendly. But I'd like to know what it's honestly like to live there. Do you get bored, do you feel it's too small and isolated? I know it's not cheap, actually I found gas, food, restaurants comparable to the San Francisco Bay Area (I'm sure that's because of the tourist draw), but the housing although expensive for Oregon isn't bad compared to California. Would love to hear your opinions.
We've lived in Ashland for the past two years and like it very much. The weather doesn't get too extreme in the Winter and in the Summer, the hot days don't last for too long. We don't feel isolated and there's very decent shopping up in Medford. We have no regrets about our move at all.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,803 times
Default Moving to Eugene

My wife and I moved from Nevada to Klamath Falls Oregon. At first it was great but then reality set in. The Califonia smoke, the swarms of midges and forget about swimming in Klamath Lake as it's full of alge. We are interested in moving again, this time to Eugene. I see there is a lake next to it...is it swimable? What about clouds of midges? Any inside info on the city would help.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:30 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,289 times
Midges? We haven't seen those since moving to Ashland. California smoke, yes; midges no.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 11,894 times
IMO, Klamath Falls is nice but winters are freaking too cold for me. Corvalis is great but to get green you must have rain, so check out your green. Grants Pass is nice but also is green but not as green as portland or the coast and is also full of ex-Californians. Bend/Lapine area is nice , expensive, and cold winters.
Coming from Arizona , Oregon will be cold to you, until you get accustomed to it. LaGrande and Baker are great for ranching and good schools but also have cold winters and to do any big shopping you will have to go to either Boise (2 1/2 Hours) or Tri Cities (Richland, Pasco and Kennewick , Washington - 2 1/2 hours) .
I live in a town that is about 17,000, is farm country-Known for their watermelons, pretty mild winters, summers highs are high 90's low 100's. Good heat not like that dry can't breath heat like Reno. We don't have big shopping malls and have to go to Tri Cites for that but it's only a 30 minute freeway drive . A Small Ranch (5 acres) 3 bd. 2 bth for around $200.000. We have a good community college extention and the big one is 30 freeway minutes away. The Columbia River is 5 miles from us which provides boating ,camping ,hiking and swimming. The big drawback here is it is farm country which means we have a lot of hispanics. But from what I hear , so does Arizona.
It all comes down to what you prefer. It's good for me cause I don't like cold or tons of rain.
The coast is a nice place to visit (6 hours) but don't like the wet , fog or musty smell.
I've lived pretty much every region of Oregon and have been here for 28 years so there must be something I like about it. lol
Good luck in your hunt I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon