Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,452,274 times

Advertisements

I love it when people are so judgmental about other people's choices about life and death. That is about as judgmental as you can get. And it suggests an appalling sense of self-righteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,282,247 times
Not only is it a choice, it is an illegal choice. Calling it what it is is not Self-righteous, but laying it on the line. Just listen to those who say they would chose the cowards way out. They are afraid to deal with what we all have to deal with at some point.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,358,781 times
There is a discussion about assisted suicide on the "Politics and Other Controversies" subforum going on now so this really isn't the place for it. Regarding oxycodone I do not believe it was the drug prescribed for the two people I know who signed up for assisted suicide and pain was not the primary reason they signed up for it to begin with.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,424,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Sorry but suicide is for cowards. It is never the answer. By the time you figure that out it is too late.
I fail to see why you would think you have a say in the way anybody else handles there own affairs.
Why do you think it's any of your business?

At the very least, the only impact your statement could possibly have is the needless prolonging of somebody elses agonizing life.

Have a little empathy for other people, respect their wishes, and don't judge.

I would not have said a word if you had phrased it like this:
"Sorry, but suicide is never the answer."

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,628,779 times
Some facts might be useful here. Oxycodone may be confused on this thread, and among others, with Oxycontin. Oxycontin is a long lasting medication that will reduce pain with less pills. Oxycontin is popular among drug abusers by using it inappropriately, as in chopping it up or other ways to get it into the system more quickly than intended.

Oxycodone is more of a short-term pain medication, that is taken every 4-6 hours for severe pain. Oxycodone is also known as Percocet. For most, Oxycodone is prescribed for severe pain, but most overdoses just puts one to sleep. Oxycontin, on the other hand, if abused, can lead to death, especially if combined with benzos (tranquilizers like Xanax and Valium) and/or alcohol.

Neither is a prescription for suicide, unless it is taken in extreme amounts and combined with the above mentioned products.

Last edited by pw72; 02-13-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM

You might want to check out those facts with the CDC.

Quote:
Oxycodone is the deadliest drug in the U.S.: it causes more deaths than cocaine and heroin combined. Therefore the authorities presented a plan to reduce its abuse by 15% over the next five years. [LEFT]
Read more: http://newsflavor.com/world/usa-cana...#ixzz2KqatPJYJ
[/LEFT]

Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,628,779 times
Perhaps we are saying the same thing. Oxycodone and Oxycontin tend to be combined as the same drug, just delivered in different doses. Your source is correct, but I'm not sure they are counting Oxycontin, which is much more likely to be abused than Oxycodone. Think of Oxycodone as 5X the strength of Vicodin, or generic hydrocodone. Names, and doses are important here.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 PM

I'm inclined to think they'd specify Oxycontin, the brand name, if there was some way it was largely at fault. Truth is I've read numerous reports, and the overwhelming quantity of units bought and sold are generic. The pill mills stay away from suppliers that are too much under government surveillance.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 AM

731 posts, read 675,313 times
Assisted suicide in Oregon, this is new to me. I would rather not discuss it on Politics and Controversies. Maybe a new thread here in the Oregon forum, fewer nut cases

I have been the nurse of patients in hospital that were terminal and actively dying. The idea, if it is their wish, is to give morphine to help them die, not make them die. God/whatever created/evolved the morphine poppy to ease suffering, not for parties. And people in Oregon do this at home? How?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM

People outlive the pleasures of life. We have all this overwhelmingly costly technology and a medical profession dedicated to saving all "life" without reference to its quality. Families often would bankrupt themselves and the country preventing the brain death of someone who is suffering mightily. Now if a 17 year old shoots himself because his crush loves someone else, THAT is a tragedy. But to somehow apply that without any nuance to every chosen death is the work of a mind that cannot think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: