U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 AM

29 posts, read 90,295 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a job transfer to Roseburg, Oregon.

Having lived in Washington state for 10 years, I am very attracted to the tall evergreens, access to mountains and the ocean. I currently live in Madison, Wisconsin.

I am looking for a friendly and safe community where people have pride of ownership and maintain their property. I am seeking housing in the $150-200,000 range.

As bad news often travels fast, I have been reading on the prevalence of drugs, and theft.

Any info would be very much appreciated in terms of positive or negative input. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM

65 posts, read 146,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Vikingfan View Post
I am seriously considering a job transfer to Roseburg, Oregon. Any info would be very much appreciated in terms of positive or negative input. Thank you
I'm staying in with my mom in Roseburg while buying acreage in the area after doing 6 years in Tacoma, WA and I absolutely love it here.

The weather has way more sunshine, you do see an occasional tweaker as Oregon has a meth problem same as everywhere else but I think the only reason the occasional tweaker stands out so much is they appear so out of place in contrast to the rest of the polite citizens.

The town is full service, one theater, wall mart and all the typical chain stores, the local food sucks.

The one black guy in town wears a a cowboy hat and it's no secret people don't like brown people around here.

An out of town black guy was being loud on the phone in the return aisle and security converged in about 2 seconds and told him quote, "You aren't going to be keeping it real in Roseburg, quiet it down or we will remove you".

After living in Tacoma for 6 years wear fighting, cutting and being loud was common place after seeing that my heart warmed and I realized I was home.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Relocating to Roseburg

I should have also mentioned that ideally, I would like to live in a community that embraces diversity. I am getting the idea that Roseburg is not all that open, however, I am hopeful that in time this could change. It is a small town, so this is to be expected to some degree. I do love ethnic food and enjoy eating out which is something I will need to travel to the larger cities to find. I will just eat out less and save money.

Thanks for quick reply.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM

The Mexican food stinks, Mucho Gracias in Winston isn't bad just really bland and you can work around it once you dig in to the menu. There's a few Asian buffets that are always cold and gross, Chi's is the best in town but after living in the bay area just doesn't compare so I cook my own Chinese food. Roseburg isn't really that small, Roseburg is the gathering point for dozens smaller surrounding communities such as Winston ,Sutherlin all the way out Coosbay.

South of Eugene, Oregon leans conservative and lot of the transplants over the last decade are white middle class and up fleeing the diversity in California and are real open about it, I couldn't transfer my WA license or establish residency until I submitted a birth certificate despite having a EID and passport, the lady at DMV said it keeps the Mexicans moving until they hit Washington.

Roseburg is completely Nepotized as far as employment, if you aren't related to someone you will most likely be driving to Eugene for a job. If your looking Multiculturalism Roseburgs not it, 5 miles away from I-5 they have White nationalist newsletters next to the classifieds.

It's not a real overt racism where you have to worry about someone being attacked or openly hearing racist slurs because most of the population are transplants from cities that for reason or another decided they didn't care for the multi-cultural experience.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 6,781,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo11 View Post
.........An out of town black guy was being loud on the phone in the return aisle and security converged in about 2 seconds and told him quote, "You aren't going to be keeping it real in Roseburg, quiet it down or we will remove you"...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo11 View Post
....... I couldn't transfer my WA license or establish residency until I submitted a birth certificate despite having a EID and passport, the lady at DMV said it keeps the Mexicans moving until they hit Washington......
I don't believe either of these anecdotes.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Oregon DMV Required Identity Documentation

Birth Certificates been required since 2008.

And this is statistics for the city limits.... Your right though I am making it up white rural people in the middle of logging country love diversity, especially migrant workers competing for labor jobs in a heavily depressed job market in the midst a dying timber industry (The only industry here).

The guy on main street and 42 in Winston that flys the Jefferson State flag, Confederate flag and SS flag on a 50 foot pole in the heart of town just hasn't got around to adding a rainbow one yet....

My mothers lived here for 20 years, the only minorities I've ever seen around here are a handful of natives, the Hispanic people that run Muchos Gracias, the Asian family that runs Chi's and the one black guy.

Eugene and it's outskirts are great if you want a multi-cultural area but it's pricier than Roseburg. Hillsboro would be a good prospect for a mix of small town, multi-cultural and close to portland without breaking the pocket book.

Last edited by Yojimbo11; 02-16-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 02:20 PM

16,501 posts, read 19,988,093 times
Since 1992, my health has been well cared for at the Roseburg VA Hospital. Many great,caring folks there. Many hues of skin color folks are welcome there & cared for...

Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,907,389 times

Most of the tall trees in and around Roseburg were cut down years ago. Almost a century in fact. Yes Roseburg is conservative. Not as extreme as a previous poster made out, but it will still be fighting diversity into the next century, so don't expect a lot of change in your lifetime. They do have a great VA Hospital, and good weather.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 AM

Default Roseburg Quality of Life

I have read that Roseburg has a long growing season. That is great. What are the farmers markets like in the area?
Is the downtown area vibrant with active businesses? I understand that the city is lacking in good restaurants, but are there any coffee shop downtown that serves healthy food/ bakery items?

Last edited by #1Vikingfan; 02-17-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM

731 posts, read 562,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Since 1992, my health has been well cared for at the Roseburg VA Hospital. Many great,caring folks there. Many hues of skin color folks are welcome there & cared for...
Such is the nature of Medicine.

However, what about the diversity of Oregon white people? There are redheads, auburns, blondes, every shade of brown from ash to chocolate. Blue eyes, green eyes, hazel eyes, not just black hair and brown eyes like most of the world. What about the different European cultures? Irish, Russian, German, Scandenavian. Lets enjoy the diversity we can get here, plus everybody else. Who cares what color or race a person is? Heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon