U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM

10 posts, read 18,310 times

Advertisements

Well hello everyone. First time posting, been trolling these forums for about a year or so now though.

I currently live in San Luis Obispo/Los Osos Area, and am thinking of re locating. I have a great job I have had for 3 years now, have a nice home near the beach, and grew up here. The problem is it is WAY too expensive any more. Any place that is 2 bedrooms is $1200 or more a month, plus utilities, unless you wanna live 30 or more minutes from work or in a sketchy area. Not to mention the cost of fuel and groceries. I am 24 years old, have a 3 year old son and my Fiancee which I have been with for 8 years. She is a CNA and has been for now 6 years. I am sheet metal/steel fabricator for about 4.5 years and have gotten into the sales side of the industry (not because I wanted to, no other choice for work). My story is standard issue really.

Where I am at now is my lease is up. I have a large home that I have rented for 3 years now and really do not want to resign my lease. I pay 1400 a month rent plus utilities so around 1800-1900 a month, yikes. I have been looking for houses or apartments down here for around 4 months now and still have had no luck! I have no idea why, I am a good person, no criminal history, good steady job, handsome/charming son, beautiful girlfriend blah blah blah. The only places I can get into want 1800+ for deposit and the first months rent. So to move looking at needing 3000 saved just to give away, not happening on what I make. This is why I have considered moving there. For the greater good of my family. To maybe be able to provide and be comfortable with out every other month putting off a bill or what ever it may be.

So, I have family in Medord/Central Point area. They are on 12 acres with 2 homes on it, one of which they occupy. I have a place to start basically. Looking on craigslist there seems to be a fair amount or work, especially for welding/fabrication. Rent seems to be affordable, as does every thing else. So my question, is this to good to e true? I have been looking into this for the better part of 8 months now and have seen a constant trend of hiring and affordable housing. I dont need night life, I dont need "big city", I just want slow and comfortable living. Away from all the materialistic BS that is California.

I have been to the Medford area for the past 15 years multiple times. I do understand it is way different than down here, and I look forward to that. I of course am trying to do the responsible thing and get a job before hand but most people dont want to even look at your resume if you are in another state. I have a very strong and solid work history with lots of good experience. That is not worth anything if they wont give you the time of day and look at it though. Is this the kind of place where "face time" does you any good? I know down here if you go in to a place that is hiring and know your stuff and are respectful and clean cut, you get the job. Is it like that there? or is it gotta know someone to get any where kinda place?

please any positive words on what I should do, any guidance, any advice. Something I can use for ammo to better my situation. sorry for the long drawn out rant, I could have kept going. thank you for reading and look forward to replies.

-Tallred0905
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 AM

10,831 posts, read 18,609,550 times
You appear to be familiar with Medford so nail down a job and move. Jobs are harder to get in Oregon, employers with openings are picky so be sure to line up references.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 AM

I am fairly familiar with it. I have applied at lots of places though I probably just need to be in the state to get anything set in stone. I have great references and have absolutely never, ever been fired from a job. Any of my previous employers would gladly give me a great reference. It seems also that there is more staffing agencies doing all the hiring there, that is okay too because I have been through one for the past 3 years, keeps costs down for the owner. I would rather live in GP or Ashland but will make do with what I can and am willing to commute. Any wys. Dues to my situation would it be wise to move? or tough it out and stay here? I just don't want to resign this lease or end up homeless here.

thanks for the reply.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 PM

This may be meant to be. Just got a call from a local utility company about an interview. Might have to plan a road trip....

Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM

197 posts, read 413,471 times
Good luck.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM

10,831 posts, read 18,609,550 times
A job with a utility company would be fantastic for you and your family.

Ashland is the jewel of Jackson County, their housing prices are relatively high... but their school district is excellent. You really need to pencil this out yourself. Here is a link to the Ashland School District enrollment area map: http://www.ashland.k12.or.us/Files/A...0-%20Small.pdf

Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM

54 posts, read 279,792 times
tallred0905,
Send out your resumes, letters of interest, etc., wherever there are openings in your field. But be sure to try to make personal contact, if possible, and arrange a follow-up visit. Nothing will sell you as a potential hire like a face-to-face meeting.

All that said, think long and hard about making a move to Oregon without a job offer nailed down. Unemployment is still very high in the state.

If you would prefer an area with not too much "city", consider Grants Pass, Rogue River, or Jackson.

Southern Oregon is a nice place to be. Good luck in your search.
minorbrew

Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM

247 posts, read 689,091 times
Tallred. Hope you get the job man, we moved here from DC 2 years ago and I do not regret the move in any way. I love this area and enjoy all it has to offer.

Don't let the unemployment numbers get you down, if you have the right skillset there are jobs here. You just have to be ultra-motivated and a right fit for the position.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM

23 posts, read 116,819 times
Jackson county is more expensive than other areas within the state. Also, there seems to be less in the way of work. But geographically and climate wise its a nicer place to live. You'll just need to make sure you watch the colors you wear in certain neighborhoods, and that you avoid amphetamine usage, which is the unoffical medford favorite pastime...

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Hey everyone thank for the replies. I cant believe I have had so much positive feed back. So, as of now I am still looking. There is lots of promises, but most don't work out because I cant be there next day for interviews. I am keeping my head up and will continue looking. The utility company would have worked out if it hadn't started at $9 an hour.

I see that there is alot of aluminium boat welders jobs in Jackson county. Does any one know if these are all the same company or are they all different? Either way I am continuing to look and something amazing will happen. Just for the record as well, for the right position I can and will be there the next day.

Thank you all so much for your posts. I have never relocated before so it is nice to get some in sight from people who have done it before or currently live in the area. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I should have an update here soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon