Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,116 times

Advertisements

Well my dad, and my son his wife and my two grandkids just moved to Pendleton. My dad has been there for 3 years now. I have visited every summer since, for a month at a time. I will say this, i felt very safe there. Never a single problem. I am actually trying to sell our place here in Indiana and move there also. I feel at home there, the atmosphere is awesome, its laid back , people are extremely friendly. I am feeling homesick for pendleton now as we speek, it gets in your blood. I grew up in Baker Oregon, i also love it there. Its just a wonderful place to live and be. The prison, dont even know its there its on the edge of town not a big deal. They have a wonderfull farmers market in the summer, just awesome. Lots to do, highly recomend....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,116 times
Smile Coal Plant?

I dont recall that either?? I will ask my dad he lives there, and my step mom was raised there. It's a beautiful town, yes maybe the people are a tad unsophisticated, but they are wonderful easy going normal people. It truley is beautiful in the summers.. Should give it a try.. I plan on moving there as soon as my house sells..

Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 AM

20 posts, read 107,279 times
Smile Pendleton OR? Good or Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J:COM View Post
That was not what I was hoping, but exactly what I needed to hear. I think the low real estate prices might have something to do with that coal plant west of town. The farmer's market wouldn't do one much good if the soil were ladden with decades of pollution coming out of the plant.

Many thanks for the frank assessment. I'll keep looking.
You might want to check out Klamath Falls which is larger than Pendleton, OR. It's about 4300 elev. and has probably the most sunshine year around than any other populated place I know of. We've considered retiring there from Portland OR, which is far too wet, gray for us but is my home town. I would check out Klamath Falls if you are looking for some a place that is smaller, away from the big urban areas, yet has most amenities you'd need and a fairly decent hospital. We looked at Pendleton but the crime is higher there than what we feel comfortable with, according to our research. I have a cousin and his wife who raised 4 sons in K-Falls and they were originally from Portland. 37 yrs. in K-Falls now and retired and do a lot of traveling. They said they have loved living there and getting out of the big city and the dreariness of the gray skies and wet climate in most of western Oregon. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
There's a coal plant not too far outside of Boardman west of town, and Hermiston has a co-gen plant.
Both were there when we lived there and neither had a single thing to do with real estate prices--certainly not in Pendleton.

As far as the "unsophisticated" goes...I prefer unpretentious...

(Despite bnewland's assertions, I can verify, certify and testify from first-hand experience that the mounted band members are NOT "all drunk also." In fact, there are a number of them that don't drink, period. I think bnewland has, um...issues.)

Old 02-19-2010, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,362 times
I moved here from Southern California 14 years ago and absolutely love it! Crime is low, the town is a historic beauty that cares about maintaining their gems, the people are friendly hard working and always willing to help both a friend and a stranger. On top of all that there is a ton to do in this town considering less than 17,000 people live inside the city limits. It has a symphony that draws musicians from Portland and Seattle! Five museums, several art galleries an underground tour and a great rodeo in Septemeber! The dining options have really improved since I moved here with 5 fine dining choices several good pizza choices, good and super friendly mexican restaurants, some great deli's and soon a brew pub! Come visit check us out for yourself. Sometimes people that write on these websites are just negative people with nothing better to do.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 19,622 times
thanks

Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
I just passed through Pendleton on a family vacation week or so ago, and I thought it seemed like a nice little town. I headed on down to John Day in the early evening, and I was floored by the openness and beauty of the landscape. Range after range of forested mountains and open grassy foothills and plains. And in three hours of driving we passed two cars. Eastern Oregon, and in particular the Blue Mountains, are among America's most open, handsome landscapes. That would be wonderful country to get to know better.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,183 times
Just did the same road today. Glad you liked it. it is really beautiful out here. I visited Prineville and Redmond Sat, and was shocked at how many people there are in those used-to-be-tiny towns. It's been 15 years or more since I was there last. Amazing how much that Hwy 97 corridor has changed. How long do you think it'll be before they make 97 an interstate?

But loved Hwy 26. The drive on 207 between Heppner and Mitchell is incredible too!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Bluebird39, there's a nice lake and campground off 207--Bull Prairie--that you might like.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,448 times
Hey if you are still on here could you tell me more? I'm considering moving here for a job but am really starting to have doubts. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon