U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 44,115 times

Advertisements

I checked the data on Pendleton and found that like other Oregon towns I checked the police to citizen ratio is half that of the rest of the U.S. With a spike of 14 rapes in the last reporting year it gives me pause. Would someone care to give me a balance perspective on the town of Pendleton?
I'm eyeing it for semi and then full retirement. I found a blog sponsored by a local newspaper with several fair-minded enquiries listed, but not a single one was addressed, zero responses. I viewed the local relocation DVD and thought it looked attractive, but then I hear about the hospital converted to medium security prison. I wonder if I should acquire two large caliber firearms or two Fila Dogs that mean nothing but business before moving in!??

J:COM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 AM

15,293 posts, read 15,491,029 times
It would help to know where you are coming from and what kind of environment you want to live in. Certainly a couple firearms are a great idea in Pendleton. A shotgun is a must, since the Columbia offers fabulous waterfowl and pheasant hunting. You would also be in easy driving distance of elk and mule deer hunting. Out of state hunting licenses in Washington and Idaho are also quite reasonably priced, so plan on it.

Since you are concerned about rape, I presume you are a woman. I doubt very much that a retirement age woman is in danger of rape, unless you make a habit of getting blotto in seedy bars, or like to do hard drugs. You can bet that all 14 rapes were good buddies before the act.

Pendleton's biggest festival is the Pendleton Roundup, and you will find some hard drinking, rowdy country types year 'round. It's also a huge profit center for the town.

Do you have any specific questions? I have friends in Pendleton, and they have managed to live there for 35 years without becoming the victim of any crimes.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:03 AM

Default Pendleton, con't.

I grew up and lived in Fort Worth until my late 20s. It's a fairly serious rodeo town too. I've lived out of the country since then ( 17 years now ). Family says Fort Worth isn't what it once was with all the population growth. My wife and I live in Japan. It's big city with all the big city air and noise that you can imagine. And neighbors so close you can hear their toilet flush.

Rape is another violent crime. I suppose I presumed the perp would have to be a predator, serialist of some sort. I know Fort Worth has more than its share of violence and death on a daily basis and as you mentioned my people have never been victimized even once, either.

The reality of picking up and planting roots in a new place causes me to wonder what worst might be waiting. There is always that unknown thing you never expect.

I'd like to live in a place with clean air, a big sky and good food.

As far as specific questions:

Is there a better side of town?
Would you consider living on the outskirts before in town?
I would like some acreage, but wonder what the taxes would be like.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 15,491,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J:COM View Post
I'd like to live in a place with clean air, a big sky and good food.
In Pendleton, you will have quite a choice of cuisine. How do you like your steak? It's really not that bad. Some places serve ribs.

Quote:
Is there a better side of town?
Would you consider living on the outskirts before in town?
I would like some acreage, but wonder what the taxes would be like.
If you are going to rent, stay in a motel for a few days while you pick a spot. If you are going to buy, rent for a few months while you house hunt. You will be able to spot the bad neighborhoods by the condition of the houses and yards. The majority of the time, junky yards means a drug and/or alcohol problem. Two or three of them in a neighborhood means you take your chances. They typically get a lot worse before they get better.

Property taxes in Oregon are entirely local. Typically, they are quite a bit lower outside of town. Checking the property tax rates is part of house hunting in Oregon. Umatilla County has some info on the web at Umatilla County Assesment and Taxation page

Old 10-27-2007, 07:08 PM

64 posts, read 349,220 times
Well, it's got big sky, a gigantic river nearby (Columbia river), and lots of open space - I'm not familiar with the food part.

The area has excellent weather, and great winds that blow through the Columbia Gorge! There's also a giant coal-fired power plant (a dirty one - no pollution filters on it!) just a few miles up the road. And the US Army has a large chemical-weapons storage and disposal plant in Hermiston, a few miles to the south. So there's always the possibility of nerve gas causing you a horrible death (ie, skin melting off your body, etc). They usually don't have too many leaks...

And, if you get bored, you can always drive 3 hours to the west and be in Portland! Which has the best food within 209 miles, btw.

But Pendleton is definitely a cute little town. I kind of liked it when I drove thru a few years ago... and I'm a big-city type.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Mustard gas

Small town life might take some getting used to. Where we live they call "countryside" and we've got rapid train service into Osaka and an international airport two stations away! I even found a nuclear enrichment facility a stones throw from our house ( ten minutes walking ) after moving in so I'm a little used to shocks, although the nasty coal plant doesn't sound so good.

The farmer's market might take care of the good food portion of our plan.

It will take some soul searching to figure out if relocating to a truly rural area is something we can do.

Thanks for the word.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,326,816 times
Pendleton, Oregon... My in-laws who live there like to call it the arm pit of Oregon.

I wouldn't go that far, but like everywhere else its got its good and bad.

The GOOD: big blue skies, great weather, dry and sunny; great Mexican food - Maztlan (not sure about the spelling); Dean's is pretty good for quick bites; lots of space all around for outdoor recreation: Mckay Park, the resevoir for boating and fishing, the nearby Blue Mountains for camping and hunting, Columbia River - fishing for Steelhead. The cost of housing is pretty low - at least from my point of view.

The BAD: far from anything, nearest shopping malls are in Walla Walla, Wa and Tri-cities;
the town sits in a giant ancient lake bed, very steep hills - not fun on an icy day, few homes sit on level land and lots are small - in town; the housing is cheap, but old - not much new construction; the people are nice, but unsophisticated - very provincial; limited advanced medical care, good jobs are scarce, there is a real lack of anything to do - there is one movie theater.

I can tell you more if you want, I've got to go now.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:54 PM

61,293 posts, read 81,591,218 times
Quote:
I checked the data on Pendleton and found that like other Oregon towns I checked the police to citizen ratio is half that of the rest of the U.S. With a spike of 14 rapes in the last reporting year it gives me pause. Would someone care to give me a balance perspective on the town of Pendleton?
I'm eyeing it for semi and then full retirement. I found a blog sponsored by a local newspaper with several fair-minded enquiries listed, but not a single one was addressed, zero responses. I viewed the local relocation DVD and thought it looked attractive, but then I hear about the hospital converted to medium security prison. I wonder if I should acquire two large caliber firearms or two Fila Dogs that mean nothing but business before moving in!??

it is one of the sleazier areas of san diego county.
no disrespect to our military who are doing a great job at pendleton.
a gun or a mean dog will probably make you sued jailed or both pdq in san diego county.
this is not texas.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-28-2007, 04:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,326,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
it is one of the sleazier areas of san diego county.
no disrespect to our military who are doing a great job at pendleton.
a gun or a mean dog will probably make you sued jailed or both pdq in san diego county.
this is not texas.
stephen s
san diego ca
NOT Pendleton, CA. Pendleton, OR

Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Default the "armpit"

That was not what I was hoping, but exactly what I needed to hear. I think the low real estate prices might have something to do with that coal plant west of town. The farmer's market wouldn't do one much good if the soil were ladden with decades of pollution coming out of the plant.

Many thanks for the frank assessment. I'll keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon