U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,549 times

Advertisements

yes friends. I'm giving up tropical breezes for what seems like rain and more rain. I wanted to introduce myself as Prime. I know majority of the questions my wife and I come up with can be answered via the search function so we'll avoid asking unless absolutely necessary. I'll be lurking around and checking out everyone's threads and what not so thought I'd say hello.

A little but not too much about me: my intent is to get into law enforcement in Oregon. We will be buying our first home in Oregon, preferably near a body of water. I notice a lot of people like to recommend area's and cities. My wife and I greatly appreciate that, know that in another life we both wore military service uniforms and know our way around a map. We'll take any and all recommendations into serious consideration.

Finally why leave Hawaii? Well it's over crowded and over priced. Illicit drugs and poverty that was once contained in certain area's has begun to spill into the suburbs where we currently live. The cost of a four bedroom in Hawaii is basically twice the cost of what my wife and I have seen in Oregon via websites like zilla and truilla. As my wife and I understand it Oregon Sheriff's Departments are very pro second amendment, and we'd like to support them and the second amendment. We don't want to get into a pissing match about that on here so please, we have our views and there will always be those that we respect with different views there's no need to persuade anyone to think differently in this life.

Like we said we'll be perusing around collecting idea's and comments. To the Oregon natives viewing this Aloha, maybe we'll share a beer one day. To those in the same boat as my wife and I good luck in your move. Thank you for your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,614,532 times
Funny you should mention Aloha - there's a town by that name in Oregon. But the "h" is silent.

Have you thought about where in Oregon you want to live? It's a large, diverse state. Since you want to be near a body of water, that narrows it down a bit; are you thinking coast or river/lake? The entire Oregon Coast region, except for the northernmost section near Portland, is economically depressed, and might not be the best place to look for a civil-service job. In fact, the entire state is still feeling the effects of the recession, with the slight exception of the Portland area. There's plenty of poverty in the state, and quite a bit of drug activity in some places too. Oregon's unemployment is 3 points higher than Hawaii's.

Here's a map of the latest unemployment rates:

http://oregonemployment.blogspot.com...ss-oregon.html

It's a beautiful place, but you'd be well advised to have jobs lined up before you move. I myself moved from Hawaii to Oregon in 1990 and ended up moving back to Hawaii 2 years later because I got laid off and just couldn't find another job. I hope for your sake that things have changed, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,455,525 times
Law Enforcement in South Eastern Oregon have taken cuts in personnel due to the Federal Government no longer giving the Counties their Timber Subsidies. This is essentially "rent" on public land for Counties that are 50-75% public land. It's been all over the news hear pretty heavily, it's possible there are plenty of jobs in the two bigger Cities of Portland and Eugene, but I'd be surprised if there weren't long lines waiting for them.

Unfortunately, drugs are everywhere in Oregon too. They're not terrible, but Meth is common in small town Oregon (which is pretty much everything outside of the three or four biggest cities,) especially among teens. People don't have the money to move, and there isn't anything to do, so they turn to meth.

Lastly, you didn't say if you'd visited Oregon or not. You really should try to do so just to be sure you can handle the weather.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,833,722 times
If you have a job you better keep it. There are some prison jobs and the State Police just hired, but they may need to lay them off again. The cities are laying off and not hiring except recalls. The counties are even worse.

Directly from family who moved back from Hawaii ... They just thought drugs were bad there untill they returned to the Mainland.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM

499 posts, read 988,258 times
I lived in Hawaii for 12 years while serving in the Navy. You will not get away from drug abuse!
The Mainland is just as bad if not worse than Hawaii. You are right though on housing, it is much
cheaper to live in Oregon. As others have mentioned, you should have a job lined up before making
the move.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,582,408 times
When you say "by a body of water" what is meant by that? Most cities in Oregon are by some body of water it rivers, lakes or ocean.
How large of city are you looking for?
Law enforcement may not be the best choice of career field right now. Allot of counties are really hurting for funding, mainly in the southern areas of the state, from Curry County east to Malheur County.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,206,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
I lived in Hawaii for 12 years while serving in the Navy. You will not get away from drug abuse!
The Mainland is just as bad if not worse than Hawaii. You are right though on housing, it is much
cheaper to live in Oregon. As others have mentioned, you should have a job lined up before making
the move.
Sure, it's as much of a problem everywhere. But I can honestly say that Hawaii is the only place I've been solicited by drug dealers while just walking down the street.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,582,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sure, it's as much of a problem everywhere. But I can honestly say that Hawaii is the only place I've been solicited by drug dealers while just walking down the street.
I lived in Hawaii in the mid 80's, same thing, seems nothing changes.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM

16,435 posts, read 19,864,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Was it Hotel Street?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM

27,727 posts, read 37,475,034 times
It's not easy to find a town that is not near a body of water. Maybe narrow it down some more?

Probably you will have to settle where you can find a job. Which isn't all that bad. There isn't any place in Oregon that is bad to live. Areas are different, but all have things that make them a nice place to live.

If you are going to be working in law enforcement, you will deal with a lot of drugs that the average person never sees and doesn't even know are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon