Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
September, after the kids have gone back to school.
Good advice!

The weather is beautiful, the summer tourists have gone back home, fishing and crabbing is great!

September is when I take my vacations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,359 times
The Oregon coast is great to visit, but to actually find jobs will be pretty hard. Oregon's coastal communities are a culture all on their own, and are certainly perfect for some, but probably not what you have in mind based on what you criteria is.

I would look at Bellingham, Washington. It's job market is far more secure then any Oregon coastal community and the city is on the rise with new waterfront developments and an expanding commercial sector and lively downtown scene for youngin's.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Since the OP seems to have vamoosed, I have my own question. When is the best time to visit the central coast? My parents wanted to come this summer, but I thought I heard of summers being very cold and foggy before this even. They are having to change their plans due to other reasons, but it would still be good to know since they will probably visit before we have been there a full year. My husband is there right now and says it is pretty nice, so I'm thinking that fall and spring are probably the best. Anyone have better thoughts?
I like to vacation on the coast during the hot summers here in Las Vegas. My boy and I like clamming and crabbing in Coos Bay and Winchester Bay area. This summer we plan on taking our fishing boat up to Coos Bay to fish rockfish and bay crabbing.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
I like to vacation on the coast during the hot summers here in Las Vegas. My boy and I like clamming and crabbing in Coos Bay and Winchester Bay area. This summer we plan on taking our fishing boat up to Coos Bay to fish rockfish and bay crabbing.
How do you find the fog to be? Tolerable? They took a vacation to San Francisco once and it was foggy almost every day. While they are understanding about the coast having that tendency, I know my mom would like to log in some serious beach time.

When do the winter rains start, on average? We're going home in September for a wedding. They might just be out of luck for this year...

Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
I know my mom would like to log in some serious beach time.
What, exactly, does your mom do on the beach?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,597 times
Quote:
How do you find the fog to be? Tolerable? They took a vacation to San Francisco once and it was foggy almost every day. While they are understanding about the coast having that tendency, I know my mom would like to log in some serious beach time.

When do the winter rains start, on average? We're going home in September for a wedding. They might just be out of luck for this year...
Last year we stayed at Charleston Harbor RV camp for 2 weeks. It was foggy a few days in the mornings but burned off by afternoon. The weather was very cool and sunny most of the time. Basendorf Beach is a few miles from Charleston Harbor but the weather is very windy and cold on the beach even in the summer. I will leave it up to the locals to respond to when the rains would start for the winter season.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
What, exactly, does your mom do on the beach?
She just wants to sit in a chair, read a book, and listen to the waves. Maybe walk a little. What can I say, she's easy to please. And if that all she wants, well I might as well pinpoint some great times for her to do that. Beats shopping. Blah. That is what my MIL always wants to do.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
She just wants to sit in a chair, read a book, and listen to the waves. Maybe walk a little. What can I say, she's easy to please. And if that all she wants, well I might as well pinpoint some great times for her to do that. Beats shopping. Blah. That is what my MIL always wants to do.
If she doesn't mind doing that in sweatpants and a fleece jacket, then you could go almost any time of the year. Just be ready to duck inside if it starts to rain or the wind blows so hard you start getting sand in your face. Then there are those times you can actually shed the fleece and expose some skin, which, in my experience, happen mostly in the spring and fall--but you just have to catch those times, you can't really plan for them.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Yep. Bundle up and set up your chair. Charleston is a good choice because of the access for seniors. I would also go out on the jetty by the harbor entrance and sit up on the rocks and watch the boats. Coast means fog. If it bothers you visit the mountains.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
September, after the kids have gone back to school.
+1 this comment. After Labor Day, into mid-October can be some of the most beautiful weather you will find on the coast. Unless it rains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon