U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 33,794 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend will be graduating from nursing school (RN) next Spring, and I will be continuing my education to become a Psychologist. Her and I are thinking about picking up and moving and starting our own chapter in life together afterward she graduates and are considering a few different states to live in, one of which is Oregon. Neither my girlfriend or I have ever been to Oregon. We currently reside in western South Dakota right now in the Black Hills area so we are used to and would like to be in a place with 4 distinct seasons. Here is some of the criteria that we would like to have met and are looking for:

* Good place for a nurse to work
* Good place for me to continue college and work as a Psychologist
* Low crime rate
* Scenic would be nice if possible.
* Close to mountain resorts if possible, as we both enjoy snowboarding, hiking, fishing, e.t.c.
* Looking for more of a suburban area
* Cost of living
* Place where people are friendly and have manners

That's all that I can think of for now. Basically just a good place for college grads to live is what we are looking for. Any advice helps! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,457,229 times
Every single question you've asked has been answered a million times in this forum.

Since you have never even been here though, you MUST come for at least two multi-day visits. Once in the summer to get the best of the weather, and once again in the Winter to get the worse of the weather. If 2-3 months of the former outweighs 7-8 months of the later in your pro/con table, then you're good to go once you've secured jobs.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM

15,296 posts, read 15,346,628 times
We have everything you want, but some of your requirements are pretty vague. Oregon has strict land use planning, which is unknown in South Dakota. Our urban growth boundaries are just that - town on one side of the street, farms on the other. Real estate is much more expensive, the weather is much nicer, you can't get away from mountain resorts anywhere in the state, and for a lot of people, scenic starts in their back yard.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM

536 posts, read 1,550,859 times
You're requirements easily fit Washington State and Oregon! Both are great states to live. So let me give some general answers.

* Good place for a nurse to work - Mostly anywhere in the region! The hardest place to find a job for this would be southern Oregon in and around Grants Pass, and along the southern Oregon coast. They are having some serious budget issues. Another tough place would probably be remote SE Oregon.
* Good place for me to continue college and work as a Psychologist - You might want to look at Washington State for this, especially around the Seattle metro, or if you want a smaller community, check Bellingham and Western Washington University.
* Low crime rate - All of the Pacific Northwest.
* Scenic would be nice if possible. - All of the Pacific Northwest.
* Close to mountain resorts if possible, as we both enjoy snowboarding, hiking, fishing, e.t.c. - Most of Western Oregon and Washington. Also there are pockets around eastern Washington and Oregon and around Spokane.
* Looking for more of a suburban area - Portland metro and Seattle metro.
* Cost of living - In all honesty, western Oregon and Washington are extremely high priced. The best values are east of the mountains.... but if you must be on the west side, the further from the core cities, the best value you can often find. For Oregon, people are spreading into Washington County towns like Beaverton and Hillsboro. For Washington State, places like Snohomish County, King County, and others are very much booming. Best to find lower prices in rural areas.
* Place where people are friendly and have manners - Can be anywhere as well. Just need to get to know people.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,111,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JigabyteLord View Post
We currently reside in western South Dakota right now in the Black Hills area so we are used to and would like to be in a place with 4 distinct seasons.
Most people in most places of the U.S. believe they live in an area of four seasons. The exact character of those seasons, however, changes from place to place. In southern Arizona, winter is sunny and mild -- but in the minds of Arizonans, it's still "winter." On the northern coast of California, summer is chilly and overcast -- but they still call it "summer."

The principle dichotomy of climate in the part of Oregon that lies west of the Cascades is wet season (late Oct. to early May), and dry season (early May to late Oct.). Most people will still see the traditional four seasons within that split, but they aren't necessarily distinct. Late autumn and early spring are part of the wet season, so there's a gradual transition in and out of winter and summer both.

Seasonal definition decreases with proximity to the ocean. The first five or six miles of the coastal strip are essentially seasonless. Between the Coast Range and the Cascades, there's more influence from the continental air mass and so seasons are more defined, but there's still enough ocean influence to blur the transitions between them. Here in the Rogue Valley, we've had lots of high temperatures in the 70's and up to 80 already, but today it's more like winter with dark clouds, hail and highs in the 40's. That kind of back-and-forth weather is quite common here during the period in between precipitation seasons (the wet season is slowly dwindling but stable high pressure won't build over the north Pacific until early July). Once on the leeward side of the Cascades, ocean influence is almost completely subdued by the continental air mass, so seasonal change there is fairly abrupt.

People who move to western Oregon from harsh climates sometimes think that we don't have a four-season climate. From the frame of reference that they are accustomed to, having bitterly cold winter weather with substantial snow accumulation is a defining characteristic of what "winter" is supposed to be. But getting away from that is precisely what inspires most people to move to the West Coast in the first place. We believe that winter snow is something to be visited up in the mountains -- not something you should have to shovel off your sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigabyteLord View Post
Close to mountain resorts if possible, as we both enjoy snowboarding, hiking, fishing, e.t.c.
I can tell you're from east of the Rockies. "Resorts" are an Eastern/Midwestern concept. Since public land is so scarce in those parts of the U.S., there are private set-asides...resorts...that you go to in order to engage in outdoor activities. Here, it's different. More than half of Oregon's territory is public land. If you want to go fishing, hiking or snowboarding, you just head out into the national forests, state parks or BLM land. Depending on the area, a day-use fee or parking permit may be required. Other than that, you can play in the Great Outdoors for free.

Last edited by Steve97415; 04-15-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM

I guess that I should have been a bit more specific, my apologies. Allow me to update:

*I plan on becoming a Psychiatrist, so that means medical school. What would be a good graduate school for me to enroll in as well as a good medical school?

*4 seasons to us is: sun and heat in the summer, cool and changing leaves in the fall, snow and cold in the winter, warmth and rain in the spring. We have came across a few people from Oregon at both of our workplaces and it seems like Portland is a well liked area. How are the seasons there? We don't mind that it rains because we love the rain. But does Portland receive snow often as well?

*We want to live where there are jobs (of course) and are not wanting to commute too far. Like I mentioned before, living in Portland or the metro area would be preferable as we are from a town with a pop. of 68,000 and would like to be closer to city life to see basketball games, concerts, etc.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM

10,836 posts, read 18,624,312 times
University of Oregon (Oregon Health Sciences University) and University of Washington both have medical schools with psychiatry residencies. There are schools of osteopathic medicine but I do not know how those programs are viewed by medical school residency committees.

At this time you need to concentrate on the academic programs available to you, not the weather.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,923,406 times
"Cost of living" is on your list but that doesn't say anything. What does it mean? What is your COL expectation. Just as a very general comment, it would seem that what you are looking for would be in a more high COL area but then again, since we do not know what your COL requirements are, either high or low could would just be anybody's guess.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
"Cost of living" is on your list but that doesn't say anything. What does it mean? What is your COL expectation. Just as a very general comment, it would seem that what you are looking for would be in a more high COL area but then again, since we do not know what your COL requirements are, either high or low could would just be anybody's guess.
A relatively low or moderate cost of living for the time being. I will strongly consider applying to the University of Oregon for graduate and medical school. So more than likely I will have to live in Portland or the metro area. By the time I am finished with my bachelors degree in psychology my girlfriend will have a few years of work experience under her belt as a registered nurse (RN) so we will be looking for a place that will be affordable to us while I continue my schooling. After I have my medical degree and have finished my residency, then we will be able to live in a place with a higher cost of living, but as of right now, we are wanting some insight on what would be a good place to live in the next 4 years or so to where my girlfriend can find a good job, and I can continue my schooling.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 PM

16,438 posts, read 19,868,513 times
It got up to 82 & sunny on the Rogue River in Grants Pass today...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue River Web Cam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon