Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 61,840 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Whalehead resort? We are considering buying a cabin there to live year round. The resort grounds look well maintained and the staff in the store were nice when we checked it out, but we are new to the area and don't know anything about the history there.

Anything we should know, good or bad? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I don't think there are any cabins at Whaleshead. It seems to me they were all Park Model Mobil Homes. It is a great view although the wind is a killer at times. I have stayed there. Great as long as you don't need a job.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I don't think there are any cabins at Whaleshead. It seems to me they were all Park Model Mobil Homes. It is a great view although the wind is a killer at times. I have stayed there. Great as long as you don't need a job.
This looks like a cabin but not certain if it's the place the op is considering.

19921 WHALESHEAD RD T-3, Brookings, OR - MLS 12135402 - Estately

Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Whaleshead Beach Resort is a mobile home park. They are Park Models, though I think they all have permanent foundations so the general vibe is different from most other mobile home parks where trailers are mixed in with modular homes. Whaleshead Beach is a nice beach to poke around. There's also a trailhead just across Hwy. 101 that will take you up the coast trail to Indian Sands and beyond. Other than that...what will you do with your time? When you live somewhere that's regionally urbanized, a secluded location is nice. When you live someplace that's regionally remote, I would be more careful. You're going to be very dependent on that tiny little resort store and restaurant. Every time you want to go into Brookings it's an 8-mile drive. That'll get old real fast. Even Brookings feels like a remote location that's far removed from the U.S. mainstream. We lived there for 10 years and wore out a few sets of tires traveling back to the U.S. mainland for civilization breaks.

Remember that Whaleshead is unincorporated Curry County. Curry County is teetering on the edge of insolvency and will probably fail in the next year or so. Within southwestern Oregon, I would much prefer to live within the legal limits of a financially-sound municipality where there will be dependable services for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
This looks like a cabin but not certain if it's the place the op is considering.
Yes, that's the place. It may look like a cabin, but it's a prefab building that was manufactured in a factory and trucked to the site. Cabin, cottage, modular, prefab, mobile home, Park model...call it whatever you want, but it's not a site-built structure.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 PM

It is a near certainty that Curry County will go Bankrupt in the next few years. Fire insurance will go through the roof.

As I said I have been there. They are Park Models that originally sold for $18,000 or there abouts.

From the MLS listing

MLS# 12135402
TURN KEY WITH OCEAN VIEWS! Spacious park-model cabin located in popular Whaleshead RV Resort.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 61,840 times
Thanks for the responses...I am aware that what I called cabins are park models, my error. What I was looking for is info specific to Whaleshead Resort itself and its management. Anyone know about that?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:31 PM

They are nice people. They had some regulatory issues and I think there were financial problems, but they are still there and I have no personal knowledge other than the grapevine on either of the aforementioned.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 13,423 times
lmblevins67:

We have been thinking of Whaleshead also. Stayed there during the summer of 2012 and the view and location is great. The park models are overpriced to buy (found out that many people paid way too much originally) and the lease space is as well (which is what is keeping us from a final decision to buy). They are planning on increasing the leases, some over 10 %! Remember, you do not own the land and are at the mercy of Whaleshead. What are you going to do move your home if you don't agree on the increase? Also, there are alot of these cabins going up for sale all of a sudden. My question is why? It is under new management.You may want to do a search online for reviews of the property or ask the people that live there full-time what they think. We did and many were not to satisified with the job Whaleshead was doing. We are thinking of looking further up the coast.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 PM

You hit on much of it, and I mentioned the rest. Curry County is failing and with the lack of county services insurence will be unaffordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon