Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 AM

487 posts, read 895,365 times

Advertisements

Portland sounds pretty good, except:
it seems like people are a little too 'out there' for me. For one they have a bazillion strip clubs and which seems to be something they're proud of and part of their culture; I think strip clubs are too raunchy and wouldn't want to live near one. Also, I am a believer in monogamy, & while I understand it can be practiced anywhere, I'd like to live in a community where it is commonly practiced and respected--Portland was ranked #1 in casual sex-seekers in the US (though, that study was based on OkCupid). Secondly, I think dying your hair pink and getting all pierced and tatted up is silly behavior for anyone beyond of their teen years. I don't care about trying to be unique, and I certainly don't like the music of Bon Iver (sounds like a dying cat). I think big beards are kind of gross, because food gets stuck in them. I don't do drugs (only wine & coffee) or partake in any super hippie activities like nudism colonies. So, I probably wouldn't 'fit in' there.

Some things I seek in a city:
-good access to lots of green, nice hiking trails (which is everywhere in Oregon?)
-art galleries
-public transportation
-doesn't get too hot in summer (i.e. above 90 F)
-not very religious or Republican/politically conservative people
-clean air & water
-not rural; at least around 1-2 hundred thousand people

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by djohanna; 04-17-2013 at 02:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,410,280 times
Welcome back! We were wondering where you were.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Well there are only three cities in Oregon that are that large. Portland, Salem and Eugene.

Personally I think you are way off base on Portland but you are entitled to think that 1M people in the metro area all have pink hair, tats and are hippies. When I lived in PDX I wasn't anywhere close to a strip club. It isn't like they are on every street corner.

Salem is a more conservative city and we have a lot of churches here so that probably rules us out.

Eugene is the only city left.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,899,903 times
I know my eyesight isn't the best but... honestly... I have lived in the Portland Metro Area for over four years and I have only seen two of the bazillion strip clubs that are supposed to be here... actually just one, because the other one is probably an adult book store, not a strip club. And, in all that time not a single woman (or man) has tried to make me compromise my cherished marriage vows. Not a single one :-(. The reasons the o.p. dislikes Portland are the very reasons I like it. If you want a nanny state culture you are going to get a healthy dose of King James "thus saith the Lord, with it. That wont be anywhere in Oregon. Sorry, o.p,. your secular, yet, puritan, mega-city utopia does not exist anywhere on planet earth I am afraid. With big populations comes vice and the individual is left to find their own way. Even in the Bible Belt south there is vice and avarice coexisting with... ... boredom.

H

Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,612,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
Portland sounds pretty good, except:
it seems like people are a little too 'out there' for me. For one they have a bazillion strip clubs and which seems to be something they're proud of and part of their culture; I think strip clubs are too raunchy and wouldn't want to live near one. Also, I am a believer in monogamy, & while I understand it can be practiced anywhere, I'd like to live in a community where it is commonly practiced and respected--Portland was ranked #1 in casual sex-seekers in the US (though, that study was based on OkCupid). Secondly, I think dying your hair pink and getting all pierced and tatted up is silly behavior for anyone beyond of their teen years. I don't care about trying to be unique, and I certainly don't like the music of Bon Iver (sounds like a dying cat). I think big beards are kind of gross, because food gets stuck in them. I don't do drugs (only wine & coffee) or partake in any super hippie activities like nudism colonies. So, I probably wouldn't 'fit in' there.

-good access to lots of green, nice hiking trails (which is everywhere in Oregon?)
-art galleries
-public transportation
-clean air & water

Clueless.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,293,324 times
The strip clubs are excessive. Way too many per capita. The OP is just a little too anal about some things. If you don't like it, don't live there. Also Wine is the same drug as any other alcohol use. A little wine doesn't make you drug free. Alcohol is a poison to the body in any amount. That is why so many become addicted to it. The euphoria affects of alcohol is a result of the poisoning.

And I just looked and I could not find even one morsel of left over breakfast in my very full beard.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I know my eyesight isn't the best but... honestly... I have lived in the Portland Metro Area for over four years and I have only seen two of the bazillion strip clubs that are supposed to be here... actually just one, because the other one is probably an adult book store, not a strip club. And, in all that time not a single woman (or man) has tried to make me compromise my cherished marriage vows. Not a single one :-(. The reasons the o.p. dislikes Portland are the very reasons I like it. If you want a nanny state culture you are going to get a healthy dose of King James "thus saith the Lord, with it. That wont be anywhere in Oregon. Sorry, o.p,. your secular, yet, puritan, mega-city utopia does not exist anywhere on planet earth I am afraid. With big populations comes vice and the individual is left to find their own way. Even in the Bible Belt south there is vice and avarice coexisting with... ... boredom.

H
c'mon now. You know you are spending your Saturday nights stripping off your pink tutu at the local nudist colony. ;-)

Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,458,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post

-art galleries
-public transportation
-clean air & water

Sounds like you're looking for a college town. I'd say your best prospects are:

Corvallis
Ashland
Eugene
Salem

Outside of the Portland area, only Eugene and Salem have populations over 100k. But mid-size college towns in the PNW can be plenty sophisticated. I wouldn't count out the Portland metro area, either. All kinds of people live there, and the stereotypes that vex you are mostly associated with downtown Portland.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The strip clubs are excessive. Way too many per capita. The OP is just a little too anal about some things. If you don't like it, don't live there. Also Wine is the same drug as any other alcohol use. A little wine doesn't make you drug free. Alcohol is a poison to the body in any amount. That is why so many become addicted to it. The euphoria affects of alcohol is a result of the poisoning.

And I just looked and I could not find even one morsel of left over breakfast in my very full beard.
Yeah...I said I don't do drugs EXCEPT wine (n coffee). Of course it's a drug
If I don't like it don't live there? Yeah. Very enlightening advice. But not my question...
As a note, I haven't actually been to Portland 'cept once at age 12 so if my assumptions (based on what's I've heard and seen on "Portlandia") are way off take no offense.

Oh yeah, Steve? Let's get the microscope out.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Sounds like you're looking for a college town. I'd say your best prospects are:

Corvallis
Ashland
Eugene
Salem

Outside of the Portland area, only Eugene and Salem have populations over 100k. But mid-size college towns in the PNW can be plenty sophisticated. I wouldn't count out the Portland metro area, either. All kinds of people live there, and the stereotypes that vex you are mostly associated with downtown Portland.
Thank you for your time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon